Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River analysis extension?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
weserphillip
742 Views, 14 Replies

River analysis extension?

How do I extend my license beyond the new year?  I can't find out where.  

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
DarrenP
in reply to: weserphillip

you can't only autodesk can

the license is built into the installer

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
weserphillip
in reply to: DarrenP

The River Analysis software is not a part of our subscription and our vendor doesn't know how to add it.  We have the "preview" edition and need to either get the license, or extend the one we have beyond the 31st.  You link at the bottom is about discussion group options, I don't even know how that is supposed to be related. 

Message 4 of 15
DarrenP

its not something autodesk sells its a technical preview on labs.autodesk.com

nothing you can do to extend it

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
weserphillip

So it just won't exist in 2 weeks?  We won't even be able to use the old version?

Message 6 of 15
DarrenP

nope you won't be able to use it

unless autodesk updates before then

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
DarrenP

read this:

So what happens after December 31 when the current technology preview stops working?

Here is what I have heard so far from the team:

1. We are planning on formally delivering this technology in the future. This includes providing a solution for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. At this point we don’t have anything we can share on timing, but we will make more information available as things get more solid.
  2. How we would eventually deliver something post tech preview (if the technology progresses to a production stage) is still being finalized, but we wouldn't be surprised if this is functionality that is unique to the IDS Suite. The suite vision is that “analysis” functionality is included in the Ultimate Suites (in this case, Infrastructure Design Suite – Ultimate).
Scott Sheppard Program Manager Autodesk Labs Autodesk, Inc.

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
weserphillip

Just got an email from Autodesk.  When the preview is over, they won't be extending after the new year.  Just a warning to everyone that uses it.

Thank you for contacting us. Technology previews are not intended for production use. After all, they're still in the early preview stage. They are in their infancy and are not fully baked. We are realists and recognize that some customers use them at their own risk. Technology previews are like taste tests at malls. We let people take a sip of Pepsi and a sip of Coke and tell us which one they like better. Regardless of which one they prefer, we are not promising to deliver a lifetime supply of soda. Sometimes people hate the taste of both!

We make technology previews available via Autodesk Labs so people can give us feedback. Most customers try them on test projects. If the technology preview works for them - great. If it does not work for them, no harm/no foul, since the customers are only playing with the technology on test projects. Since technology previews have an end date, customers try them on projects that end before the technology preview ends. Technology previews have a specific end date so no one confuses them with perpetual functionality that is associated with a product offering or subscription service. In fact, technology previews are offered for free to Subscription, non-Subscription, and educational users alike. When the previews end, I don't have a way to re-activate them. It's not part of the Labs process. In the case of the River Analysis Extension, the team will evaluate all of the feedback and consider what the next step should be. That will happen after we return to work in January.

Message 9 of 15
troma

Mmmm, half-baked soda!  Yummy!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 15
rwhitlock1

Here's some hopeful news. I received this by email.

Please note that the technology preview of the River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 / AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 is currently scheduled to expire on December 31, 2012. Based on the strong feedback from our Labs users, we are actively working on an extension to the current technology preview and a longer term plan for providing a production solution for river and floodwater analysis. Unfortunately we won’t be able to provide an update to the current technology preview prior to 31st, but we do hope to have a solution once we get into the new year.

Thanks for your involvement and feedback throughout the technology preview, and we look forward to moving forward with this technology in the new year.

Dave Simeone
        Autodesk Senior Product Manager for AutoCAD Civil 3D

I'll extend my thanks to Dave and to the Autodesk folks who have produced a very nice bit of software. I've used the River Analysis Extension on two separate projects and found it to be a really productive way to model stream channels.

Thanks, Autodesk.

Message 11 of 15
scott.sheppard
in reply to: rwhitlock1

I am the one who has been sending out the individual emails quoted here as well as the email blast from Dave Simeone. Let me clarify what will happen.

1. On December 31 the technology preview will expire. It will no longer operate. You will no longer be able to use it -- not even the old version..

2. The Civil 3D team is considering extending the technology preview. If they do, this means that you would have to go to the Labs site and download a new installer for the tech preview that has a different time-bomb date baked into it. This will not happen before December 31, so there will be some days where you cannot use the technology preview at all.

3. Technology previews are temporary in nature. No one should confuse them with perpetual functionality. To provide  a long term solution, it is quite possible that the team could create a version of the technology that users could download from Subscription Center instead of Labs, A version on Subscription Center would not have a time-bomb in it.

I hope this clarifies the situation, and I apologize for the confusion.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 15
rwhitlock1
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Thanks for the clarification, Scott.

I've found the River Analysis extension to be a valuable addition to my work efforts. I hope that the product will eventually be a download available to subscription customers but understand that this is a decision not yet finalized.

Message 13 of 15
weserphillip

Do we have an answer on this yet? 

Message 14 of 15
DarrenP

no

you probably won't get one until autodesk decides what they are going to do with it if anything

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
Karsten.Saenger

The River Analysis Extension has been extended until June, 30th.
It can be downloaded here:
http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report