Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for Civil 3D 2012 / Map 3D 2012 back on Autodesk Labs

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
scott.sheppard
2891 Views, 18 Replies

River Analysis Extension for Civil 3D 2012 / Map 3D 2012 back on Autodesk Labs

There previous technology preview has been updated on Autodesk Labs. The new expiration date is June 30, 2013.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
fcernst
in reply to: scott.sheppard

We have been using C3D 2013 for quite awhile now, which uses the new drawing platform. We are on subscription.

This has been stuck on the old platform for a long time now. Why is this not being updated to new drawing platform?

This is one of the reasons I decided to renew our subscription last week. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 19
gauss2069

Thanks! We had just started re-installing Civil3D2009 on an old computer so we could run RIVERCAD Pro 8 (old Boss software) when this mail came in! I hope we will not run into getting 2014 Civil3D before this is resolved. Happy modeling!
Civil 3D x64 2013
Win 7 x64
Intel Core i7-940XM
8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 5000M
Message 4 of 19
fcernst

Seriously, why is Autodesk working in such old technology? This is working in what, now about a 2+ year old  software edition, not to mention an old non-compatible drawing platform?

Recent posts alluded to Autodesk was simply contemplating what suite to package this with this year. 

We are getting ready to go to C3D 2014 here shortly, like April, correct?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 19
scott.sheppard
in reply to: fcernst

When we started this technology preview, Civil CD 2012 was the current platform. We conduct technology previews so we can get feedback on the technology. In this case the team has extended the technology preview so they can continue to get feedback from those users who are already in the middle of using it. We want to see how those projects turn out. We are not expecting 2013 users to go backwards to 2012.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 19
fcernst

This is wildly disappointing as we head into C3D 2014 on subscription, the second edition of the software on the new drawing file platform.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 19
dla4y4

Do you ever think you will add unsteady flow as an option. I currently use this to draw everything up, then run it in HEC-RAS, then bring in the map. Would be nice to do it one step similar to HEC-GeoRAS.

Message 8 of 19
pmascaro
in reply to: dla4y4

Can we have another extension? Say June, 2014? This would give us time to run the 30 Day Trial (when we have time) and if it’s still in Ultimate next year, we would have been able to have test the features in the released version to see if it’s something we want to invest in. Most of us are very busy and we will not have adequate time to test the released version between now and June 30th.

Giving us the additional time while still having 2012 to fall back on would be very helpful.

@ $5,000+- to upgrade from IDSS / IDSP to IDSU and $2400+- more in annual subscriptin fees over IDSP I think it's fair to give us time to test it....

Message 9 of 19

Unfortunately I don't think there will be an extension of the technology preview. Labs technology previews are about collecting feedback until we determine what to do next. We have certainly already determined what to do next. I am not a lawyer, so without getting all legal, there are financial accounting standards board regulations that prevent us from providing "perpetual functionality" via Autodesk Labs. That's part of why technology previews have end dates.

I think your suggestion of a 30-day trial of the ultimate suite is your best course of action.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 19

The technology preview will cease operation on June 30, so I graduated it from the Labs site today.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 19
nkg2

Thanks for the update Scott.

I do want to express my disappointment that the river analysis module is not part of SSA as that would bring that module full circle and should have been made available to Premium users.  I have made my comments known to regional reps on this issue.  I hope that management will relook at those users who only use Civil 3d and are still on the fence when it comes to going to a Suite.  I think that most people, at least in the US, would probably favor the River Analysis over the Rail Module and thus probably push going toward the premium suite (once they play around with Infraworks) and a full version of Map3d.  Just my thoughts.   Thanks again!

***Viewer/Reader Discretion is Advised***
Autodesk 2022- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Subscription & Infraworks
Windows 10 Professional, x64, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Message 12 of 19
tmullins
in reply to: nkg2

Personally (and I have a hunch I'm not alone) we are not too pleased that we were given this preview all the way back to 2012 and believed that it would be a full blown feature inside C3D in the future to find out it is only available in the Ultimate Suite package.

The fact that we owned the BOSS products for years until Autodesk bought them out therefore making them obsolete so now we are left not able to use anything at all unless we upgrade licenses to Ultimate is not too popular around here either.

I have another hunch that this entire move of C3D to Suites because we are getting all of these various packages bundled in (practically for "free") will eventually bite the customers in one way or another just like this move has done.

Message 13 of 19
neilyj666

I'd guess that river analysis would be of more use to more users than the rail module. I can also see standalone civil 3d being squeezed out in favour of the suites

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 19
dla4y4

Do you know if they have plans to do unsteady flow. Currently we are looking at getting ArcGIS for Hec-GEO RAS, but using that to model planned conditions can be quite cumbersome (design in autocad, export to GIS). But it isn't worth anything to my firm unless that is added. For now, I am leaning towards GIS. If I am going to request a piece of software that costs a few thousand bucks, I might as well go big.

Message 15 of 19
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: dla4y4

River and Flood Analysis 2014 does allow you build a HEC-RAS model directly in Civil 3D, save the HEC-RAS files, add the boundary conditions, and then import the Maximum Water Surface Elevation for floodplain mapping purposes.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 16 of 19
ChrisRS
in reply to: nkg2

Too costly. River analysis is the only thing I would need in Ultimate vs. Premium.

River Analysis was available for map users.  Think of the upgrade cost from Map to ultimate.

I would sure like to see this reconsidered.

Christopher Stevens
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
leonid_d

yo tengo el Archivo dame tu correo y te lo paso.....

Leonidas Dávila
Ingeniero en Diseño
Hidráulico - Sanitario
Message 18 of 19
scott.sheppard
in reply to: leonid_d

Compartir la tecnología es una violación de su contrato de licencia.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 19
ChrisRS
in reply to: leonid_d

I appriceate the offer, but no, thank you.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report