Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

151 REPLIES 151
Message 1 of 152
scott.sheppard
13190 Views, 151 Replies

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

There is a new technology preview on Autodesk Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
151 REPLIES 151
Message 121 of 152
gauss2069
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

2012 only. RAE has been on lag by one year since 2010(?) I have 2012 and 2013 on my laptop right now. 2012 specifically for RA Engine.

Civil 3D x64 2013
Win 7 x64
Intel Core i7-940XM
8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 5000M
Message 122 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: gauss2069

The technology preview of the River Analysis Extension started with 2012. The team extended the preview so that people who were already using it on 2012 could finish up. The amount of feedback they got from 2012 users was sufficient enough that they did not need to open it up to 2013 users. Now the technology so available as part of the Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 Ultimate suite.

• AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 users: These users should make sure they have SP1 and can continue to use the tech preview until June 30. After that they should upgrade to Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 Ultimate.
  • AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 users: These users should upgrade to Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 Ultimate right away.
  • AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 users: These users start off by purchasing Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 Ultimate.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 123 of 152
Yami72
in reply to: scott.sheppard

So, it looks that the RAE will be available only in Ultimate Suite. Upgrading from Premium to Ultimate is way too expensive to the "water consultants" like me. RAE would be the only reason to upgrade and it is not worth it. I downloaded some time ago Esri ArcGis evaluation version. ArcGis 10 with Spatial Analyst and Hec-GeoRas looks very tempting. They do roughly same things as Civil3D and RAE, but also much much more. And the price is about the same as upgrading to Ultimate. For me the purchase decision looks easy.
Message 124 of 152
ROBERTLEE2890
in reply to: Yami72

YES!

They have just priced themselves out of the market. Especially when this program is, at its core, just a nicer ACAD GUI interface for a FREE program anyway - Hec-Ras.
Message 125 of 152
O.Maille
in reply to: ROBERTLEE2890

As I've paid for this years subs I'll see how the 2014 stuff looks but unless there is a major overhall of SSA and much improved GIS intrgration for design I think the only option is to look at other options.

As I see it many of us were hoodwinked into buying into Civil 3d back 5-6 years ago on the basis it was a design program. Aside from Novapoint-like road design and some unstable grading design there was no design and there still isn't really anything very reliable or efficient.

Realistically switchin to ArcGIS appears logical as they also have mobile based editing (arcpad) that might actually work compared to the unsuable WS. I know it's a bit off topic but I imagine Infoworks is the best alternative option for services design, windes was fine previously but appears a bit behind. Thankfully I've issued any HEC-RAS works that we have on the books or at least imported it into Hec-Ras so once the next one comes off to ArcGIS for a trial I suppose, does it deal with crossection generation from survey data?

In relation to the broader "design suites" Autodesk should consider re-naming them to be more realistic;

Drafting Suite

Technician Suite

Designer Suite

This is really where the autodesk plan is going I think.

Message 126 of 152
ccantrell
in reply to: O.Maille

So looking at the new Infrastructure Suite matrices, some show RAE in Premium and some show RAE only in Ultimate.  There is a foot note on one of the pages saying that it is in Premium/Ultimate subscription only.  We are getting ready to deploy 2014 and making the decision on upgrading a single seat to Ultimate or going the geo-RAS route.  Is this for sure in the Ultimate Suite only?

Message 127 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: ccantrell

Every internal email I have seen has had it in Ultimate only. (And no, I don't work on commission)

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 128 of 152
dana.probert

it is ultimate only.

Can you post the links where you have seen discrepencies? I will have them corrected.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 129 of 152
ccantrell
in reply to: dana.probert

Thanks for the update Dana.  I can't for the life of me find the link we were looking at last week that said Premium/Ultimate.  The only link I see that could still be confusing is the one provided below.  Although it clearly shows a check in the ultimate column, there is a ** footnote that could use a bit more clarity maybe.  

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/infrastructure-design-suite/included-software

Message 130 of 152
Tsu.Jim

Hi Scott,

I wondered if this extension is coming in version 2014  infrastructure premium suite or only on the ultimate, with or without a subscription?

Thanks for your time

Roberto Jim

Tags (1)
Message 131 of 152
pmascaro

It's now called River and Flood Analysis Module***       

Automate analysis, mapping, and modeling functions for river and flood analysis.

& It only comes in Ultimate....

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/infrastructure-design-suite/included-software

Message 132 of 152
dana.probert

The River and Flood Analysis Module is part of Infrastructue Design Suite Ultimate with subscription. Subscription is required.

Thanks!

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 133 of 152
Tsu.Jim
in reply to: pmascaro

Thanks that is clear.
It's a shame because our customers were coming using in the premuim version downloaded from Autodesk Labs
Message 134 of 152
Tsu.Jim
in reply to: dana.probert

Thank you Dana!
Message 135 of 152

Since Autodesk has decided to make the River Analysis Extension (RAE) part of the IDS Ultimate (As opposed to lower versions of the IDS), and some of us have been involved in the testing and evaluation process while the product was in Labs, can anyone elaborate as to what the differences are between the Labs version and the 'Production' version that comes with the Ultimate package?  Has anyone compared the two?  Are there new features provided beyond the Labs version?  It would be good to know what (if any) there are to make a comparison and possibly an upgrade decision based in this information.  Thanks in advance!

Mark D. Jones, PE

President

Hartech Engineering & Consulting, LLC

Message 136 of 152
pmascaro

I recommended to our groups to test the 30 day trial to see if there are any additional features to justify the cost...
Message 137 of 152
mdjones3333

Paul,

From what I can tell, the 30-day trial does NOT include the River Analysis Extension as it is a Subscription Only add-on available to ISD Ultimate users, so there would be no way to test it.  Thanks for the reply though.

Mark D. Jones, PE

Message 138 of 152
pmascaro

Looks to be included in the Suite regardless of subscription and is also in the 30 Day trial...

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/infrastructure-design-suite/free-trial 

I've spoken with our Autodesk regional sales manager and an Autodesk hydrologist / River Analysis technician from Autodesk and when I mentioned I was going to pass the trial along for testing, neither of them mentioned that it would not be in the trial...

Scott, can you confirm??

Thanks,

Message 139 of 152
dana.probert

The River and Flood Analysis Module is a subscription benefit for IDS-U. It is downloaded from the subscription center and is not part of the trial installation.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 140 of 152
pmascaro

@ a loss for words at this point...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report