AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 81 of 150 (684 Views)

Re: River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

12-07-2012 09:54 AM in reply to: pmascaro

I'm aware that C3D objects are not backward compatible, but she can't even copy and paste a simple line or circle from 2013 to 2010. That's not really the issue though, of course. Interesting about the license management. I know we used to be able to open multiple AutoCADs on one computer while using one license. But now, if she opens 2010 (to run RiverCAD), then 2012 and 2013, she's using 3 licenses according to FlexLM.  I just assumed since they were three different releases, FlexLM sees them as three different licenses.

Valued Contributor
pmascaro
Message 82 of 150 (682 Views)

12-07-2012 10:18 AM in reply to: hardin

You are correct that if you open all 3 it will pull from the same license and use 3 licenses from your pool. So you would have to close one to open the other unless you had extra licenses.... but you could upgrade the 2010 seat to 2013 and still use 2010. Although, once you go to 2014, 2010 will be obsolete and will not be included in the 2014 lic file... (You could copy the code from the old license file into the new one, but I’m not sure if that is against the rules…)

Paul R. Mascaro
CAD Supervisor | Engineering Design
ENVIRON International Corporation
-----------
System: Dell 6800M, OS | MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1, CPU | Intel Core i7 Gen4 @ 3.00GHz Haswell 22nm, RAM | 32.00 GB DDR3 1600 MHz, Graphics | NVIDIA Quadro K5100M (8 Gig), HD | SSD Master, SS Hybrid Secondary
Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 83 of 150 (679 Views)

12-07-2012 10:24 AM in reply to: pmascaro

That makes sense then.  We are all upgraded on subscription. She is only using 2010 because she likes using the original BOSS RiverCAD. She likes the RiverCAD better than the RiverAnalysis besides the fact that River Analysis is set to expire soon. I was just hoping RiverAnalysis would be part of Civil 3D next year or released as a permanent extension. It appears that is an unknown (or unspeakable) at this point.

Distinguished Contributor
O.Maille
Message 84 of 150 (637 Views)

12-11-2012 07:18 AM in reply to: hardin

What is the advice from Autodesk on the topic of not having a method for hec ras import/export in 2013?

I'm still running 2009 for old VBA scripts.

I'm probably going to have to buy a decent pipeline analysis package as SSA is not fit for purpose.

I'll have to install 2012/2011/2010 and try to use the old export methods for Hec-Ras.

I'll have to install 2012/2011/2010 to get google earth images & surface data in and out of the program.

Civil 3d delivers less now than it did in 2010 with minimal stability improvements.

Valued Contributor
pmascaro
Message 85 of 150 (630 Views)

12-11-2012 07:53 AM in reply to: hardin
    • You should have your old VBA scripts written in .net, unfortunately VBA is no longer supported for good reason and .net will be around for the long haul…. You can install VBA into 32bit civil 3D and Map 3D 2012. I keep a common computer around running 32bit ® 2012 w/ VBA installed on it that we can all remote into. I run one of my old VBA scripts on that as I currently do not have budget to rewrite it this time. If you have the raw code, It’s a small patch to get it to run in ®2012 w/ VBA on a 32bit Machine. (That will solve your 2009 issues) I can recommend a programmer for this (if you have the raw code)
    • No real comment on SSA, meets our needs at this time…
    • I also have a copy of 2012 running w/ the RA Extension for working with HEC-RAS. I’m sure Autodesk has dropped a pretty penny on River Analysis and is continuing to spend a small fortune improving it. Considering the strange things that happened to my Civil 3D 2012 after installing it, I’m Ok w/ them fixing working out the bugs before installing it into Civil 3D as a permanent feature (hoping that is the long term goal, right Autodesk??)
    • Hang onto your 2012 for Google Earth too if you rely on aerial imagery in your work plans… and make sure you are running Google Earth Pro (Licensed…) The main alternative that Autodesk is working on is a served version of Bing Maps through Project Base jump. What that means for us…  Bing can be used for internal purposes only but not for client driven work or other commercial business oriented work without a license directly from Microsoft. Works derived from Bing products are also not allowed without a license. Bing imagery, regardless of how you obtain the imagery is tightly controlled and would require a substantial additional investment through Microsoft…
Paul R. Mascaro
-----------
System: Dell 6800M, OS | MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1, CPU | Intel Core i7 Gen4 @ 3.00GHz Haswell 22nm, RAM | 32.00 GB DDR3 1600 MHz, Graphics | NVIDIA Quadro K5100M (8 Gig), HD | SSD Master, SS Hybrid Secondary
Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 86 of 150 (618 Views)

12-12-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: hardin

So what happens after December 31 when the current technology preview stops working?

Here is what I have heard so far from the team:

1. We are planning on formally delivering this technology in the future. This includes providing a solution for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. At this point we don’t have anything we can share on timing, but we will make more information available as things get more solid.
  2. How we would eventually deliver something post tech preview (if the technology progresses to a production stage) is still being finalized, but we wouldn't be surprised if this is functionality that is unique to the IDS Suite. The suite vision is that “analysis” functionality is included in the Ultimate Suites (in this case, Infrastructure Design Suite – Ultimate).

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Valued Contributor
pmascaro
Message 87 of 150 (612 Views)

12-12-2012 07:57 AM in reply to: hardin

Does anyone in this thread need the following applications?

• Autodesk® Revit® Structure
  • AutoCAD® Utility Design
  • Autodesk® Navisworks® Manage

I think the majority of us will need this application to run with Civil 3D. Ultimate is a huge price increase over premium... It seems to me that if we are on subscription and have Premium we should get this included with our IDSP and not be forced into IDSU for something that is Civil / Hydro / Geotechnical based.....

I would encourage your colleagues to consider adding this to IDSP or providing it as a download for IDSP Subscribers.

I understand Autodesk hast to turn a profit, but, subscribers are your front line in Beta testing.... Keeping us happy and throwing us a bone would be a nice gesture...

Paul R. Mascaro
-----------
Contributor
Yami72
Message 88 of 150 (589 Views)

12-13-2012 03:27 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard
Oh, no! Why analysis will be only in Ultimate Suite? I just had Premium and now the only thing to get Ultimate would be the analysis tool? Please, do not put in only to the Ultimate Suite! I don't anything else from the Ultimate Suite. And please, extend the time to use the extension as long as something will replace it! There are many jobs going!
Distinguished Contributor
mjung
Message 89 of 150 (577 Views)

12-13-2012 06:45 AM in reply to: hardin

Having this in the "Ultimate" suite would probably put this usefull tool out of the reach of most users who would need it. This is a tool that extends the usability of Civil 3D, not Revit Utilities or Navisworks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Intel Xeon W5580 @3.20GHz
12gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Contributor
ccantrell
Message 90 of 150 (569 Views)

12-13-2012 07:22 AM in reply to: mjung

Can we split the Revit Structural off into a separate license for one of our actual structural designers to use?  Otherwise upgrading to Ultimate just for River Analysis won't be worthwhile for us.  I say this a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I just don't see the beneift in upgrading to ultimate for most civil firms.  Come December 31, I will most likely recommend that we purchase the extensions for ArcGIS to allow us to use GeoRAS, as we will most likely get more benefit from them.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.