Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

151 REPLIES 151
Message 1 of 152
scott.sheppard
13197 Views, 151 Replies

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

There is a new technology preview on Autodesk Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
151 REPLIES 151
Message 41 of 152
gperego
in reply to: wfberry

Hi all,

Thanks Bill for your suggest, but in my Start-All menu I haven't any icon for RAE.

I rebuilt it manually with this from the Civil 3D one with this destination:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012\AecBase.dbx" /p "<<C3D_Italy>>"

And especially from:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Project River Analysis 2012"

I found also the Icon, in the RAE folder.

The link for myGIS&INfrastructure  Blog is:

www.bimacademy.it/gis

You can read it using Google Translate.

Regards

Many thanks!

Giovanni from Tech Data Italy

Message 42 of 152
mjung
in reply to: gperego

Finally recieved some HEC/RAS info to try out in the program!!! All seemed to be working well until I tried to "Compute Analysis"

I was able to Import the HEC/RAS project. It seemed to draw all the components (reach, profiles, cross sections) All the section had data that matched the rersults in HEC/RAS etc... but when I clicked on "Compute Analysis" it gives the error message:

Run-time error '429':

Active X Component can't create object

2012-02-08_1350.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: This is being done with Civil 3d 2012 (32bit) and Windows XP if it matters.

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 43 of 152
wfberry
in reply to: mjung

I believe the current River Analysis 2012 is for 64 Bit Civil 3D 2012 or 64 Bit Map 3D 2012.

Bill

Message 44 of 152
mjung
in reply to: gperego

Thanks for the reply. I was going over the install and remembered that one of the files failed to register. So that could also be the issue.

2012-02-08_1325.png

I tried the Retry multiple times but finally hit the ignore. I wonder if there is a way to manually register this file? If not it looks like a re-install might be coming...

Message 45 of 152
Matt.Anderson

What operating system did you install on?

Did you turn OFF User Account Control to install? 

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 46 of 152
mjung
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

This was on Windows XP so the "User Account Control" isn't applicable. I do have full admin privileges on the account.

Message 47 of 152
jmayo-EE

I played around with this last week and hit a brick wall with an 'Error Loading Geometry File' (from HEC Ras) when I ran the computation.

The app really needs to work with C3D objects (alg, profiles and sections).

The app did not like 2d or 3d polylines for a 2 stage weir I had to model.

Overalll I loved the product and the workflow.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 48 of 152
hng
Community Visitor

I have the same issue. I was able to import XS from Hac Ras, however when I run it, I see the same error message, can somebody tell me what to do? Thanks!

(my system info

Intel Xron Processor 3.07 GHZ

Winow 7 64-bit

Nvidia Quadro 2000)

Error 1.jpg

When I start the program, I will see this mesage

Error 2.jpg

Message 49 of 152
fadi_k
in reply to: scott.sheppard

is there a tutorial out there for this? 

thanks

Message 50 of 152
BHFH
in reply to: hng

@hng: try starting as administrator. I think river analysis is trying to create files in UAC protected area.

Message 51 of 152
jmayo-EE
in reply to: fadi_k

There are videos on the download page and the help file covers it all.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 52 of 152
hng
Community Visitor
in reply to: BHFH

@BHFH, it works, Thanks Alot

Message 53 of 152
mehrdad66

Hi;

i want to know is it designed to perform two-dimensional hydraulic calculations for a full network of natural and constructed channels or its one-dimensional hydraulic calculations software similar to HEC-RAS!?

Regards,

Mehrdad

Message 54 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Mehrdad -

River Analysis is HEC-RAS within Civil 3D and/or Map 3D.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 55 of 152

It would be nice if the RAE could be linked to alignments with the ability to set the centerline as a certain station from which the left to right section stationing could be derived by the computer and not have to be input.

I.E.  Using a defined alignment with centerline being the 0+00 or 1+00 for all sections then station label, length between stations, station of all sections could be defined by just clicking on the section lines that I plot along my alignment.  This would give my section plotting some relative reference to centerline. 

Currently I have to define an alignment, label all of the sections and the offset at the end right of the section (downstream left), then reenter all of that info as my starting section.  It would seem the computer could do all of that for me if it had a definited alignment.

I've seen reference to avoiding negative stations in cross sections, which I have done in the past, but it would be prefered from my POV to have neg be downstream left and positive downstream right of CL.

Steve Lewis, PE

Message 56 of 152
cwitzel
in reply to: SteveLewis5729

I second this.

As it stands right now, the Center line of the reach almost appear to be random.  I am selecting it to automatically cut the sections, why can't this be stored in the reach.  An Alignment would be even better.

The HEC-RAS text file supports a centerline.

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 57 of 152
gauss2069
in reply to: gauss2069

Now that AutoCad 2013 is here, where is River Analysis 2013? How long do we wait? I really anticipated that RA would be part of the release. Well...
Civil 3D x64 2013
Win 7 x64
Intel Core i7-940XM
8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 5000M
Message 58 of 152
mathewkol

It's Labs software. You really can't expect much. Maybe we'll get it, maybe not. That's the nature of Labs. I assume there's some kind of NDA agreement which would negate getting any answer as to if/when it will happen.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 59 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: jmayo-EE

The technology preview is conducted so that the River Analysis team can get feedback on the technology. Right now they are getting plenty of feedback from the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 user base. If they decide they would like to expand the audience to collect additional feedback, they may conduct a 2013-based technology preview.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 60 of 152

Is it possible to read in a HEC RAS analysis that has already been calculated in HEC RAS, and have the results displayed using the RAC tools in Civil3D?

I can't seem to see a way of doing that. Thanks.

Regards

Dean Petersen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report