AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
Krite1
Message 21 of 150 (2,207 Views)

Re: River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

06-02-2011 01:17 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard
Try right cicking the desktop icon and run as administrator.
solisl
Message 22 of 150 (2,204 Views)

06-02-2011 01:20 PM in reply to: Krite1

thanks, but a little late. support at autodesk just helped me with that.

GBIL1308
Message 23 of 150 (2,128 Views)

06-23-2011 12:54 AM in reply to: Krite1

Why In River Analysis (metric mode) in configure Profile Views showing in Feet ??

It’s make Profile in Feet (imperial units)feet-err.jpg

majime10
Message 24 of 150 (1,984 Views)

River Analysis Error

08-09-2011 03:14 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

After I assignate all input data and try to run the analysis the program says: Error starting process: Steady File not Found. Can anybody help me?? Thanks

Employee
Matt.Anderson
Message 25 of 150 (1,860 Views)

Re: River Analysis Error

09-14-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: majime10

Try this:

Copy the Steady.exe file from

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Project River Analysis 2012\Bin

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\AWA\Support\Tool

Matthew Anderson, PE
Product Manager
Valued Contributor
jalneal
Message 26 of 150 (1,756 Views)

10-18-2011 04:59 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Minor issue, but one that is probably an easy fix.  If you are starting a completely new flood analysis from scratch, then The contraction and expansions are not set to the default 0.10 and 0.30.  To make it easier for people putting in information, when you go to section description, it by default shows the default contraction and expansion coefficients.  Unfortunately, they have not actually been assigned to the model.  If you try to run the model with "Compute Analysis"  It says contraction and expansion coefficients are not defined.  

Since default values are listed here (that are not already in the model) and the dialog only allows you to apply a change, simply opening does not assign these values.  I usually add a dot at the end of description so it will allow me to update these values, but it would be great if there was a place to assign contraction/expansion coefficients to a range of stations, or just use 0.1 and 0.3 by default so each section doesn't have to be clicked on just t oget the analysis to run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 27 of 150 (1,729 Views)

10-19-2011 07:43 AM in reply to: jalneal

Thank you for this suggestion.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 28 of 150 (1,685 Views)

10-24-2011 01:50 PM in reply to: Krite1

I, for one, really hope this pans out and is successful.

I have a user who really wants me to install Civil 3D 2010 and RiverCAD on her new machine. :smileymad:

I've tried to get her to use the River Analysis package but she claims RiverCAD is easier and more streamlined and integrated with AutoCAD than the Civil 3D package.

I really don't want her to use the RiverAnalysis package now and have it time bomb out at the end of the year either.

Lyle.

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 29 of 150 (1,668 Views)

10-25-2011 06:49 AM in reply to: hardin

The reason we conduct technology previews is to get feedback. If she can tell us what she prefers in RiverCAD to what the technology preview offers, we would love to hear that. She does not need to actually use the technology preview if she already knows what her preferences are. Feedback like the kind she can provide could help a future version of this technology be more like RiverCAD.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
mdjones3333
Message 30 of 150 (1,634 Views)

10-27-2011 08:53 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

I have tested the latest Labs release of the River Analysis Package (RAE) and found the following issues that should be addressed.  I have extensive HEC-RAS modeling experience and would like to help make this a valuable extension to Civil 3D.  First, some bugs or flaws that popped up:

1.  I tested the procedure of exporting the HEC-RAS project built within RAE step-by-step as I constructed a test reach with 17 cross sections that includes a culvert.  I started by creating the sections from a surface within the drawing from existing entities (polylines drawn where I wanted them).  Step 1 was to create the sections and assign the bank stations, channel stations ,and overbank stations by picking drawn polylines within the drawing.  Export the project to HEC-RAS (V4.1) and open the geometry file within that app.  Everything OK.  Step 2, go back to RAE and assign obstructions by polylines at elevations drawn on a separate layer.  Export the project again out to HEC-RAS and check.  No Go.  HEC-RAS reports an "Error loading geometry" notice, and all you get is the stream centerline and the most upstream cross section.  This also occurs when ineffective flow areas are developed within RAE in the same manner.  This should be checked and corrected (probably something odd in the output geometry file (*.g01).

2.  When modeling a structure opening, keep in mind that the user draws 'bounding cross sections' at either end of the bridge/culvert.  HEC-RAS then creates a BR U and BR D section which are copies of these bounding cross sections and then the roadway/bridge top or deck along with the physical characteristics of the bridge/culvert are superimposed onto these copies.  The user then should have the ability to modify the channel or ground stations/elevations at sections BR U and BR D to account for streambed conditions at the actual face/opening.

3.  The app needs a method by which the user can draw a polyline in plan that represents the 'top of road' over a structure opening that will correspond to the BR U or BR D cross section.  Granted, you can draw the 'road profile' in the bounding cross section plotted in RAE, but it would be easier to be able to grab the info from the surface and/or corridor model and tie it into the bridge modeling process.

4.  Editing the cross section data graphically within each cross section plot should be easier.  HEC-RAS has its own 'graphical cross section editor' which has alot of capabilities.  It would seem that being in a native CADD drawing environment, a similar or more robust graphical editing interface would be possible. (point, click, drag, weed points, change bank stations, etc.)

These are just a few to start, as I am still evaluating and reviewing the full capabilities of the software.  Moderators are free to contact me directly if you would like additional information on my comments thus far.

Civil3D 2012

Win7 64 Pro

i7 Processor

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.