Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

151 REPLIES 151
Message 1 of 152
scott.sheppard
13194 Views, 151 Replies

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

There is a new technology preview on Autodesk Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
151 REPLIES 151
Message 21 of 152
Krite1
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Try right cicking the desktop icon and run as administrator.
Message 22 of 152
solisl
in reply to: Krite1

thanks, but a little late. support at autodesk just helped me with that.

Message 23 of 152
GBIL1308

Why In River Analysis (metric mode) in configure Profile Views showing in Feet ??

It’s make Profile in Feet (imperial units)feet-err.jpg

Message 24 of 152
majime10

After I assignate all input data and try to run the analysis the program says: Error starting process: Steady File not Found. Can anybody help me?? Thanks

Message 25 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: majime10

Try this:

Copy the Steady.exe file from

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Project River Analysis 2012\Bin

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\AWA\Support\Tool

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 26 of 152
jalneal

Minor issue, but one that is probably an easy fix.  If you are starting a completely new flood analysis from scratch, then The contraction and expansions are not set to the default 0.10 and 0.30.  To make it easier for people putting in information, when you go to section description, it by default shows the default contraction and expansion coefficients.  Unfortunately, they have not actually been assigned to the model.  If you try to run the model with "Compute Analysis"  It says contraction and expansion coefficients are not defined.  

Since default values are listed here (that are not already in the model) and the dialog only allows you to apply a change, simply opening does not assign these values.  I usually add a dot at the end of description so it will allow me to update these values, but it would be great if there was a place to assign contraction/expansion coefficients to a range of stations, or just use 0.1 and 0.3 by default so each section doesn't have to be clicked on just t oget the analysis to run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 27 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: jalneal

Thank you for this suggestion.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 28 of 152
LyleHardin

I, for one, really hope this pans out and is successful.

I have a user who really wants me to install Civil 3D 2010 and RiverCAD on her new machine. Smiley Mad

I've tried to get her to use the River Analysis package but she claims RiverCAD is easier and more streamlined and integrated with AutoCAD than the Civil 3D package.

I really don't want her to use the RiverAnalysis package now and have it time bomb out at the end of the year either.

Lyle.

Message 29 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: LyleHardin

The reason we conduct technology previews is to get feedback. If she can tell us what she prefers in RiverCAD to what the technology preview offers, we would love to hear that. She does not need to actually use the technology preview if she already knows what her preferences are. Feedback like the kind she can provide could help a future version of this technology be more like RiverCAD.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 30 of 152

I have tested the latest Labs release of the River Analysis Package (RAE) and found the following issues that should be addressed.  I have extensive HEC-RAS modeling experience and would like to help make this a valuable extension to Civil 3D.  First, some bugs or flaws that popped up:

1.  I tested the procedure of exporting the HEC-RAS project built within RAE step-by-step as I constructed a test reach with 17 cross sections that includes a culvert.  I started by creating the sections from a surface within the drawing from existing entities (polylines drawn where I wanted them).  Step 1 was to create the sections and assign the bank stations, channel stations ,and overbank stations by picking drawn polylines within the drawing.  Export the project to HEC-RAS (V4.1) and open the geometry file within that app.  Everything OK.  Step 2, go back to RAE and assign obstructions by polylines at elevations drawn on a separate layer.  Export the project again out to HEC-RAS and check.  No Go.  HEC-RAS reports an "Error loading geometry" notice, and all you get is the stream centerline and the most upstream cross section.  This also occurs when ineffective flow areas are developed within RAE in the same manner.  This should be checked and corrected (probably something odd in the output geometry file (*.g01).

2.  When modeling a structure opening, keep in mind that the user draws 'bounding cross sections' at either end of the bridge/culvert.  HEC-RAS then creates a BR U and BR D section which are copies of these bounding cross sections and then the roadway/bridge top or deck along with the physical characteristics of the bridge/culvert are superimposed onto these copies.  The user then should have the ability to modify the channel or ground stations/elevations at sections BR U and BR D to account for streambed conditions at the actual face/opening.

3.  The app needs a method by which the user can draw a polyline in plan that represents the 'top of road' over a structure opening that will correspond to the BR U or BR D cross section.  Granted, you can draw the 'road profile' in the bounding cross section plotted in RAE, but it would be easier to be able to grab the info from the surface and/or corridor model and tie it into the bridge modeling process.

4.  Editing the cross section data graphically within each cross section plot should be easier.  HEC-RAS has its own 'graphical cross section editor' which has alot of capabilities.  It would seem that being in a native CADD drawing environment, a similar or more robust graphical editing interface would be possible. (point, click, drag, weed points, change bank stations, etc.)

These are just a few to start, as I am still evaluating and reviewing the full capabilities of the software.  Moderators are free to contact me directly if you would like additional information on my comments thus far.

Civil3D 2012

Win7 64 Pro

i7 Processor

Message 31 of 152
mputnam

A couple of suggestions for the River Analysis Extension:

In RiverCAD there was an option for mapping the floodplain without having to run the model inside RiverCAD.  For instance, all you would need in order to map a floodplain was a DTM or contour data, sections and a .fpm file (text file with section and elevation information).  This enabled the user to build the base model in RiverCAD and then export to HEC-RAS for alternatives analysis.  In  order to analyze multiple alternatives for a bridge crossing or evaluate existing vs proposed conditions in RiverCAD or River Analysis it becomes necessary to have a drawing file for each scenario that is to be modeled.  HEC-RAS gives the user the ability to complete this analysis within a single project file, and coupled with RiverCAD's ability to map a floodplain with section number and elevation data, quickly lets the user map the desired floodplain without having a drawing for each senario considered.  Please bring back this feature.

River Analysis is also limited in the number of culvert groups or number of culverts that can be defined whereas HEC-RAS is not limited or is able to handle significantly more culverts than the River Analysis.  Recently, I created a model in HEC-RAS that had 13 culverts passing underneath a dirt road (long crossing with multiple small culverts providing conveyance for a wide floodplain) and I was able to enter each culvert inside HEC-RAS, however upon importing this model back in to the River Analysis Extension some of the culverts in the HEC-RAS model were not imported.  Please enable the River Analysis Extension to handle the same number of culverts as HEC-RAS.

Another issue that I am having is that when I import a model into River Analysis Extension the  run the model, save and close the file and reopen it the model will not run and the program crashes.

Thanks for your consideration.

Message 32 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: mputnam

Thanks for your comments. This is the most insightful and pinpointed feedback I have read all month. The team can consider these improvements as it moves the technology forward.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 33 of 152
JC000

Hi there !

Downloaded this interesting add-on on Map 2012. Imported a simple HEC-RAS file (one culvert).

I found this thread trying to understand why I couldn't get into metric units system.

Thanks to the thread, I discovered that if I had looked better, it displays US units but seems to display and calculate metric.

The help doc states : 'To switch units bases, use the Options menu'. Is this in the Autocad general Options ? I can't find anything added in the Options, and don't know where to switch units (I am using an all-french system)...

When I run an Analysis, It stops near the end in 'Initializing Project River Analysis Engine' with the only option being to cancel.

I read also about the time bomb. What will happen in 2012 ? Will River Analysis be for sale ? Any idea of pricing ?

Thanks for reading.

JC

Autocad Map 3D 2013 - COVADIS 13g (french)
Tags (1)
Message 34 of 152
vancollerd
in reply to: mputnam

Opening River Analysis this morning, I realised it will expire at the end of December.

What are the plans going forward with this extension?

Message 35 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: vancollerd

The team is considering extending the technology preview to obtain more feedback.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 36 of 152
jalneal

A couple of suggestions that would be really handy to me:  The River Analysis extension seems to still use proxy objects that are based on simple entity data with references.  I know it may be a big overhaul, but since this would be an extension to Civil3d, I can see where this would be absolutely awesome if: 

1) The sections were generated as Civil3d Sections, with the Sample line being the centerline and the sections being cut based on locations where sections are.  

2) Flood profiles used the Civil3d Profile object, with 100-year flood elevation, with some type of a null pipe object.

3)  Floodplains were generated as a Civil3d surface by creating a plane that was extruded along the flood profile, with the limits formed by creating a boundary where this surface intersects a reference surface. 

That would allow the generations of all sorts of flexibility - with the ability to use hatch fills for floodplain in sections, and display flood data on all sorts of profiles, sections, and plan views.  

At present, I am still finding it more useful to continue using HEC-RAS for most work, and using styles I have set up for flood sections, profiles, and surfaces in Civil3d to generate the type of presentation data I'm looking for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 37 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: jalneal

I have posted an updated installer to the site. This one has some fixes and extends the technology preview until 12/31/2012. Please uninstall the existing one first before installing the new one.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 38 of 152
gperego

Hi all,

I just installed the new RAE Extension.

Unfortunately, I can't find the icon on the desktop.

I know that this should be fixed with the new extension (12/19/2011) but for my Win 7 italian the problem is here again.

How can I rebuild the icon?

Or were I can find it?

Many thanks!

Giovanni from Tech Data Italy

PS: 
Here in Italy we are working hard on SSA e now we want to introduce RAE.

See on my Blog, www.bimacademy.it/gis, with Google Translate... 

Message 39 of 152
JC000
in reply to: gperego

I have a french version, I am not far from Italy !

With the older version I needed some help to get the menus right. Not much worked.

With the new version (administrator wandering elsewhere) I couldn't get any menus.

After uninstall, I needed to reboot my system to be able to use Autocad Map 2012 again.

PS Giovanni, your link doesn't work.

Autocad Map 3D 2013 - COVADIS 13g (french)
Message 40 of 152
wfberry
in reply to: gperego

I am assuming you have it in the Start-All Programs.  Rt click in the menu and drag a shortcut out to the desktop.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report