Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis 2014 Apparent Junk

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rhschneider
2044 Views, 11 Replies

River Analysis 2014 Apparent Junk

Am really frustrated with lack of documentation.

Create bridge opening @ dwnstrm section. Input data.

Input data for upstrm section.

Input all other garbage.

Bridge is on skew. Upstrm & dwnstrm sections are parallel to bridge i.e not normal to flowline.Each section is offset 1 ft from bridge face.

Run compute

See error messages below

Very diappointed in quality--really sucks!!!

Thought this was really going to save time as well as create valuable dwgs.

Right now the ony value I see is to cut sections in surface and export to HECRAS and finish in HECRAS.

Very expensive section cutter!!!!!

Generating HEC-RAS data file F:\13.0026.01-CTH DE Bridge Replacement\Survey\HECRAS ANALYSIS(CIVIL 2014).RDT.

Reach 1

Initial data check...Finished

ERROR: River: "River #1" Reach: "Reach #1" RS:230 BR  (DID NOT CREATE)

- Deck data needs at least two station - high elevation points.

- Bridge does not contain an opening on the upstream side.

- Bridge does not contain an opening on the downstream side.

River: "River #1" Reach: "Reach #1" RS:196.5 BR

- Bridge/Culvert has an upstream distance of zero, HEC-RAS requires a positive distance between the upstream cross section  and the face of the bridge. A zero distance was allowed in versions prior to 3.0. A table was added to the geometric data

editor to facilitate global editing of bridge distances and widths. Some length will need to be added to the upstream

distance column and an amount greater than that will have to be subtracted from the bridge width column. (DID INPUT DISTANCE)

- Deck data needs at least two station - high elevation points. ??

- Bridge does not contain an opening on the upstream side. ??

Detail data check...Failed

Cannot generate HEC-RAS data file.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rhschneider
in reply to: rhschneider

I cut sections in River. Then exported to HEC. Then finished data input in HEC. Ran compute. Imported HEC file to River. Ran compute.

Results:

Generating HEC-RAS data file F:\13.0026.01-CTH DE Bridge Replacement\Survey\HECRAS ANALYSIS(CIVIL 2014).RDT.

Reach 1

Initial data check...Finished

ERROR: River: "River #1" Reach: "Reach #1" RS:75 BR Bridge is at 196.5

- Bridge/Culvert has an upstream distance of zero, HEC-RAS requires a positive distance between the upstream cross section

and the face of the bridge. A zero distance was allowed in versions prior to 3.0. A table was added to the geometric data

editor to facilitate global editing of bridge distances and widths. Some length will need to be added to the upstream

distance column and an amount greater than that will have to be subtracted from the bridge width column.

- Deck width not set.

- Deck data needs at least two station - high elevation points.

- Bridge does not contain an opening on the upstream side.

- Bridge does not contain an opening on the downstream side.

Detail data check...Failed

Cannot generate HEC-RAS data file.

Command:

Message 3 of 12
rhschneider

Turned off bridge openings. Ran compute. Ran ok. Turned bridge opening back on and computed ok. What's going on??

Message 4 of 12
Hidden_Brain

i am yet to use River Analysis so cannot help you there. I use the HEC-RAS extension or hec-georas (when the horizontal variation is of N values is large), but always find coding the structures manually better than any automated procedure. measure the structure from u/s bounding section, set up a spreadsheet to calculate ineffective flows, and drape a feature line to get the high chord, always works for me. my $0.02...

Message 5 of 12
nturner

I hope Autodesk puts some time into this b/c it could be really cool.  A way easier to visualize solution than HEC.  Especially with Infraworks and integrating into that.  If you do a bunch of river modeling, there is a cool 2D plug-in for infraworks that is coming out soon Project Boulder they call it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsE2uTiztk 

But right now I'm having a tough time getting by the same error message about upstream distance being zero.  

Message 6 of 12
nturner

Figured out my issue that may be helpful to others.  If you put in a culvert, you have to define a 'Roadway' as well.  Then the U/S X Section distance in the culvert editor, is actually the U/S distance from the roadway you define.  There really is no documentation of this Module, and the User's Manual is really vague.  It is a cool program though and hopefully it gets even cooler.

Message 7 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: nturner

NT,

"...no documentation of this Module..."

Did you look <<<Here>>>?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 12
Hidden_Brain

Thanks for sharing the info. I suppose it makes sense, you cannot run a culvert analysis in HEC-RAS without coding in the bridge deck (roadway), as far as I know.
Message 9 of 12
fcernst

Needs to work with 5.0 now

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 12
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: fcernst

Fred -

Define 'work with'....  

Short of running the 5.0 engine - the export and import works with 5.0. 

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 11 of 12
Hidden_Brain

Sure would be nice to be able to create geometry for combined 1d-2d in civil 3d and export.
Message 12 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

I get a lot of HDS errors when I compute files in 5.0 exported from River and Flood. I need to recreate the models to get them to actually run.

It would be real nice if River and Flood used Hec Ras 5. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report