Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Subassembly??

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tysonbird
474 Views, 7 Replies

Right Subassembly??

I have no experience with SAC and am looking for an "off-the-shelf" subassembly that might solve my problem.

I am working on a roadway which contains a superelevated slope for a small portion of the longitudinal distance. I am using AOR lane, shoulder extendall & daylight basin. My issue is that the DOT is requiring a 20' clear zone from edge of concrete to the ditch contained within the daylight basin. The said clear zone must be 6:1 slope. The basin is comprised of 3:1 slopes. 

My issue arises when I apply the superelevation to the shoulder, therefore decresing the daylight offset required of the shoulder. This decrease in offset reduces the clear zone. Is there anyway to make sure I maintain the required 20' while still being able to model subgrade correctly (i.e. apply super to shoulder). 

See attached to help carify my ramblings.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
fcernst
in reply to: tysonbird

Is this what you are looking for through your Super? 

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 8
sboon

I think that you need to break this problem into two pieces.

LinkOffsetAndSlope attached to the shoulder will get you to the specified offset, no matter where you start it from.  Attach DaylightBasin to that to complete the assembly.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 8
fcernst

That's what I used above with an Offset alignment for the edge of clear zone.

You could also use the Basic Transition SA holding grade, and show your contractor the topsoil depth, and do takeoffs on materials and earthwork.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 8
tysonbird
in reply to: fcernst

Thank you for your help. I think i have about got what I was looking for. 

I liked the idea of modeling the topsoil areas outside the gravel shoulder, so I chose to use the Basic Transition SA & target my 20' clear zone. My only remaining issue is the datum urface. FG models nicely, but the datum has a mind of its own. Any suggestions?

Message 6 of 8
sboon

Check your corridor in the section view editor, with the Datum surface turned on so that you can see what it looks like in section.  Usually problems like this are related to the surface being defined incorrectly.  Use Datum links with the Breakline option turned on, and the Overhang option set to bottom.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 8
fcernst

Here's my Datum surface before and after Overhang Correction:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 8
tysonbird
in reply to: fcernst

Thank you for the help.

The overhang adjustment cleaned everything up nicely.

I appreciate all of the input. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report