Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Block, Tracking

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
scottie.wilson
1226 Views, 27 Replies

Revision Block, Tracking

I have Civil design sets with hundreds of sheets. Each sheet has its own Revision Block. Revision blocks are currently controlled by the Sheetset Manager settings, so that if i change any piece of information in the SheetSet Manager all Title blocks/Revision Blocks will reflect the changes. The problem is that we frequently need to revise a few sheets out of our entire Set, and then need to apply another Rev to the Revision Block. I also drive an Index sheet using the Sheetset Manager...But have to break the link when some pages have more revisions than all others. How do you guys track this? OR maybe i should just ask How do you setup your Revision Blocks?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scottie Wilson

Autocad Civil 3D 2012, 64 bit

Windows 7 64 bit

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
tcorey
in reply to: scottie.wilson

It's extra work, but I create Sheet-owned custom properties for revisions. That way each sheet has its own setting that is reflected in the revision block.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 28
neilyj666
in reply to: scottie.wilson

i use a similar method but have only set up enough properties for three revisions....I'll
eventually increase the number....!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 28
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

I agree this is the way to handle this. However, you can see not knowing how many revision you may have and how many would be global and how many sheet specific can cause confusion, and would required many custome fields for the unkown number of revision to come

I'm going to  considered dyno blocks with fields and lookup tables and let ya all know what I come up with

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 28
apustina
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Below is our Rev Block that Scottie is talking about. We Right now have this set up where it is Driven by Fields there are 6 Fields for Each Revision and we have 7 lines for Revisions. This works fine if you are making edits or Issuing the whole set all at once. If we have to make edits to Individual sheets we then Switch the Fields to the Individual Sheet custom settings. Again this does work OK. As long as you do not have more than 7 Revision.

It has only been of recent that we have started to find that with new types project and client demands that we are now havening the need to go beyond that 7 revision limit.

Is there an external driven tracking type system that would work like Excel Where you can have all your revision Tracked but only display the last 7 revision in your drawing?

rev block.JPG

Message 6 of 28
troma
in reply to: apustina

How do fields with no data plot?  Do they have ####?  Or do you put . or - in them?  Last time I checked you can't leave it blank, and it won't accept a space to keep it blank.

For that reason and for the purpose of different revisions on different sheets, we just use mtext for revision notes.  Waay too much work to keep track of otherwise.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 28
apustina
in reply to: troma

We put a single - in every field. If you leave it blank it puts in ---. It will put in ##### if it is an Unrefernced field.

Message 8 of 28
neilyj666

I use a non breaking space in sheet set fields (Alt+0160) which seems to work fine

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 28
Joe-Bouza

I cant get that to work? Hold the alt and type 01060?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 28
troma

Joe it's 0160, not 01060.

You have to use the numpad tho, so if you're on a laptop you're out of luck.  Hold Alt, type the numbers, when you release Alt you'll get the character.  If it's still not working you can try character map I guess.

Worked for me Neil, nice trick.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 28
neilyj666

Any kudos gratefully received - I have my Expert Elite status to maintain...Smiley Wink

EESignature

Message 12 of 28
troma

Fair 'nuff & good point.

Funny part is I thought of a non-breaking space just as I was typing that reply.  Strange how I never thought of it before.

But truth be told, this is still too much hassle to set up as a sheet set field and then have different for every sheet in the set.  Pretty sure we're sticking with mtext for revision notes.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 28
neilyj666

Thanks - It is a pit painful to set up for sure, I've used an attributed MTEXT block to go beyond my 3 revision limit and will probably continue to do so.

My typical workflow doesn't involve many revisions which is why I stopped at 3......

EESignature

Message 14 of 28
Joe-Bouza

That must be quite an input screen under sheet properties. Could you pop up a screen capture of it for a look see

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 28
apustina

Yes it is definitly a big sheet set. This is one of our and it is still growing.

Message 16 of 28
troma

Wow!

Can I just say that again; WOW!

Mark Green

Message 17 of 28
apustina

What are we the only ones that REALLY USE our Sheet Set manager? Cat Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

Message 18 of 28
apustina

Is anyone Useing any ACESS or SQL Databases to help fill in thier Title Blocks and Revision blocks?

Message 19 of 28
troma

For me, the average set is about 10-15 sheets. Rarely we go over 30.  And we only have 5 custom properties for the set.  We don't do any 'per-sheet' custom properties.  So what you're doing is way out of my depth!

Mark Green

Message 20 of 28
Joe-Bouza

Good Job. Thats what I feared it looked like though, and has kinda held me back from deploying; staff here would string me upSmiley Wink

I have considered modifying the look ot the revision block to take all entries for each line in a single field to reduce the input screen. so instead of 6 fields per sheet only one. Do you all think that would be bucking the tradition too much?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report