Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reversing the line direction of an arc

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
abetts
24488 Views, 19 Replies

Reversing the line direction of an arc

I drew in a water line that had an arc in it, the "W" symbol in the line (or arc rather) is upside down. i've tried the reverse command, tried re drawing the arc both ways, tried re loading line types, is there any way to fix this?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
tcorey
in reply to: abetts

Hello abetts,

We need a little more information.

Please detail the steps you're using to get a W in your water line. Are you using a linetype with an embedded W, or is it a pressure pipe network with W inserted as a pipe label, or possibly you're using some other routine that inserts text along lines and arcs? Is the Arc a standalone Arc object or is it part of an alignment, pipe network, polyline, etc?

What version of AutoCAD Civil 3D are you using?

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 20
mathewkol

Arcs are always drawn counter clockwise so you can't fix the arc, reverse has no effect. It needs to be a polyline that contains the arc. Reverse will work then.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 20
antoniovinci

Why don't you simply mirror that arc, e.g. around its chord or around the radius passing for its middle point..?

Message 5 of 20
mathewkol

Like I said, AutoCAD ALWAYS draws arc counterclockwise.  Mirroring won't help.

Matt Kolberg
Message 6 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi,

>> Like I said, AutoCAD ALWAYS draws arc counterclockwise.  Mirroring won't help.

Sorry to interrupt, but to clarify:

You are right with "always counterclockwise" ... but mirror changes the objects-normal, so it's then counterclockwise, but from the negative z-direction. (look to the normals-value in the property-window when selecting the arcs in the attached drawing). Looking to both arcs from the same Z-direction shows them drawn in different CW/CCW-directions.

One word to mirrored arcs: there maybe some problems coming up like sometimes _PEDIT can't join such entities and so on, so always be carefull using them.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 20
mathewkol

Thanks Alfred.  Of course, I didn't try mirroring and just assumed,.  You know what they say about assuming 😉

Matt Kolberg
Message 8 of 20
balloonsrise

"You know what they say about assuming"

"Everyone knows when you make an assumption, you make an **** outta you, and umption." Samuel LJackson

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Inteel 2.40 GHz 8 GB RAM
Dell T7600
Message 9 of 20
gdmay

Open the linetype file that has your water line in notepad.

Change the R=0.0 to U=0.0 so it looks similar to this.

*EXISTING_WATER,Existing water ---- W ---- W ---- W ----
A,.5,-.2,["W",Existing,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.2

Save the file and reload you linetype.

This should make it read correctly in all viewports.

Hope it works for you.

Message 10 of 20
mathewkol
in reply to: gdmay

Tha new "upright" option for linetypes is great, unless you rotate your views in paper space.  If north is down in paper space, all bets are off whether that linetype will appear correct.  The automatic rotation of these is relative to World X only.  You could easily end up with all of your lettered linetypes upside down once you start rotating your views.

...just sayin is all.  It's a great feature, but this is problematic.

Matt Kolberg
Message 11 of 20
gdmay

For every solution that comes through the front door, many problems peek through the windows.

Message 12 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> For every solution that comes through the front door, many problems peek through the windows.

The more power your car has the more careful you have to drive, that's realism and valid for software too 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 13 of 20
peterfunkautodesk

You could make a new linetype where "U=180" and then the text would be pointing down and when rotated in Paperspace it would be upright.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 20
j_avila_tgt

I know because I've done it before years ago, but while on Arc command you press either Ctrl, or Tab, or Shift to reverse the arc.  Or something like that.  You would have to look more into that.  I hope these hints help you.

Message 15 of 20
j_avila_tgt
Message 16 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Lou Costello used that when SLJ was a wee pup 😉
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 20
vsimpsonxcS6CE8

you can just use the rotation tool instead of trying to mirror over 

Message 18 of 20
andre.winther

It´s been a while I know, but I´ve been struggling witht this problem also, when drawing polylines including arcs. For example linetypes showing the flow direction in a ditch or a pipe the direction would always reverse in the arcs turning 'right'.

I solved the problem (might be a new feature in AutoCAD 2018): in properties I can choose "Linetype generation" (On/Off). It is Off by defeault but when turning it on the linetype will show the correct flow throughout the polyline including the arcs!

Hope you find this helpful 😃

Message 19 of 20
napattharakorn

You are the best thanks

Message 20 of 20
ngfriedman1

In case anyone is still having trouble with this, you can convert the arc to a polyline with the PEDIT command (select yes when it asks if you would like to convert to a polyline), and then you can reverse the linetype of the new polyline with the REVERSE command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report