Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse profile for segment

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
brburklund
695 Views, 5 Replies

Reverse profile for segment

We have a large pipe project that forms a very large 'C' shape.  To follow convention with advancing stations from left to right and north being up, we are running into some problems.

1). For Civil3D, can you reverse the profile for a section, say station 9+00 to 18+00 only.  The remainder would be one direction.

2). What do others use for convention for north arrow direction and advancing stations?

Our first sheet goes from east to west, the second and third sheets run north to south, the next ones are west to east, and the final ones are north to south.

3).  Do you have suggestions for layout/formatting?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: brburklund

@brburklund wrote:

1). For Civil3D, can you reverse the profile for a section, say station 9+00 to 18+00 only.  The remainder would be one direction.

Just make a new profile view for that station range and apply a style that runs right to left.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
wfberry

I certainly cannot speak for anyone but myself, I always have everything going from left to right.  Plan & Profile.

Bill

Message 4 of 6
troma

Have one small subdivision cul-de-sac I've been working on that is a 'P' shape.  (The 'P' actually looks like a 'P' with North up, so you can visualize.)

We set up the drawings so the first one is stationed left to right, South to North and West to East and the second one is stationed right to left, East to West (with a little North to South too).  This way North is up on both drawings.

These drawings haven't been submitted to any officialdom (I don't know if the project manager has even seen them) so I don't know if there will be complaints.  But to us drafters it seemed like the best solution.

Layout & formatting: the important thing is that people who have never seen or heard of this job can pick up a piece of paper you've produced and understand what's going on.  I recommend if some of the profile is left-to-right and other parts right-to-left, put them on different sheets.  And try to make your sheets continuous, so you can turn from one to the next and understand where you're going.

Data:

We design all the profiles in one drawing, pipes in different drawings, and shortcut to others.  I can design the profile once and the pipes once, and shortcut it to one drawing where it's displayed left-to-right and shortcut to a different drawing where it's displayed right-to-left.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 6
brburklund

Good feedback everyone.  Thanks

Message 6 of 6
BrianHailey

I worked on one project that flowed east to west and here was the requirement for the plan and profiles (paraphrasing of course), "Plan view shall be oriented so north is up or to the left. Profiles shall be drawn with the direction of flow going from left to right."

What this meant was, the far left manhole in the profile was drawn on the far right side in the plan. We put LOTS of notes on that page so the contractor hopefully wouldn't mess it up (and thankfully they didn't).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report