Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining Wall between grading objects

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Ibarra10
804 Views, 10 Replies

Retaining Wall between grading objects

I am doing some lot grading and in a couple of areas of the lot grading I run into a situation where lots that are back to back require a wall because the backyards of the lots would require a grade steeper than 3:1. So we have to put walls in the back of the lots to limit the grade to 3:1 on both sides of the wall. My question is how would you do that when you are working with the grading creation tools? I attached image of what I have so far. The green linework is proposed contours (lot grading) and you could also see the grading objects linework. The white line represents where I want to put the wall. Any help, suggestions, or different methods I will gladly welcome and be thankful for.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Ibarra10

I like profiles for larger walls...

Make an alignment for bottom of wall and another for top of wall. Sample surface profiles for each.

Use the superimpose profile command to place them in one profile view so you can now use layout profiles to define FG condition on the wall.

Create a corridor with only a marked point assembly on each layout profile.

Extract feature lines from the corridor and either place them in the required surface or create a surface for the wall and paste this into a composite FG surface.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Ibarra10
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks John. That is a very good idea since that way I'm not only working with feature lines and having to fight with crossing feature lines. I have never tried making retaining walls using corridors but the way you explained it makes it seem pretty easy to apply the only challenge will be defining the profiles. But it is definitely the method I'm to go with.
Message 4 of 11
jmayo-EE

You can also model the top face of wall with a generic link with and slope subassembly. Just set the width for a single block and attach it to the top of wall assembly. Be careful the top inside edge does not extend over the bottom of wall alignment. The 3 feature lines (bottom of wall, top inside and top back edges) will make a nice model for profiles or sections.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Ibarra10

I will try both methods and see which one applies better to the grading situations.
Message 6 of 11
Joe-Bouza

I cant for the life of me understand how to use a marked point, but it sounds elegant

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The marked point is what allows the feature lines to be created. No marked point, no feature lines.

Try it.  🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
Ibarra10

John just one question about the first method you told me. Would the create feature lines from alignment command have the same end result as the method you told me to create a mark point assembly and run it on the top and bottom wall alignment and then just extract the feature lines from the corridors?

Message 9 of 11
jmayo-EE

In the method I gave you the corridor would not have any feature lines to extract without the marked point. The marked point provide the corridor the points to string with the feature line. Try removing the marked points and rebuild. The corridor is empty. Undo to return.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Ibarra10

Ok. Thanks for the help and quick response.
Message 11 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Create a corridor with only a marked point assembly on each layout profile.

Does each MP attach to the assembly node and be named accordingly?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report