Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore All Original Settings For A Drawing File

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
eboulang
1730 Views, 4 Replies

Restore All Original Settings For A Drawing File

Hello. I am a CE student in college trying to finish my senior design project and I have run into a couple of problems. However, I want to work on them one at a time, since I am new this forum. I am also somewhat of a novice (compared to some of the posts I've seen) so if anyone reads this post and tries to help me, I'll need to have a lot of explanations to understand more than likely.

I recently switched from Civil 3D 2012 to 2013 student version because when I initially installed the program I probably messed up some of the settings that I shouldn't have for my entire application. After reinstalling it, I noticed that the program seems to run just fine but the settings for the original file I'm trying to work with remain, such as label settings, linescales, etc.

I want my drawing to match the settings of new drawings when it comes to labels, scales, and anything else I might have changed. Is there a way to apply these settings to my original file? If not, is there a way to at least make sure the label styles can be reset? I don't want any changes to the settings I made to be present in my file.

Hope this isn't too confusing

Evan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: eboulang

try to INSERT the 2012 file into a 2013 drawing created from your template dwg.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 5
AllenJessup

OK. First thing to learn is to always keep a backup of a file that you can revert to if things go pear shaped. So before trying any of my suggestions. Make a copy of the file, don't rely on the .BAK of or drawing recovery.

Not knowing what labels you are having trouble with I'll give you the generic procedure. Open both files and try and Drag and Drop the label styles you want from the old drawing to the new one.

You can also do this all at once using Importing Styles and Settings.

Neil's suggestion of inserting the 2012 drawing in to a 2013 template is also correct. But I'm thinking you may have started with an OOTB 2012 template and modified it. So you may not have a 2013 template set up. If this is the case. I'd suggest saving the drawing you're working on as a template as soon as you have it working as you want.

Templates are you bread and butter. If you have a good one you will be way ahead on any drawing you start. If you don't, you'll be doing the same setup tasks again and again with each new drawing.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
eboulang
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks, importing the styles from one drawing to another worked. I would have copied my drawing to one new file, except I had everything drawn according to a state coordinate system, and (like I said), I'm not that much of an expert on it so I wanted to see if there was something else I could do before trying that. It probably wouldn't have made a diffence since it's a theoretical project anyway, but luckily I didn't need to do that.

And, I also figured out my other problem I was having so I don't even need to post it now, :).

Message 5 of 5
AllenJessup

Glad it worked. It might not have made a difference on the ground. But it might have if you're being graded on it. I didn't know if this was a class assignment or independent learning.

If you insert one drawing in to a fresh one. The coordinates of the objects shouldn't change, except if you bring it in so that you can do a transformation. But it's always better to set the coordinate system first.

You are allowed to post solutions as well as questions.Smiley Wink

Thanks for marking the reply as the accepted answer. It makes it easier for the next person who has a similar question.

BTW  Welcome to the discussion group and the wonderful world of Civil 3D.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report