Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replace blocks

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
lambertb
1842 Views, 12 Replies

replace blocks

I have a dwt with many styles that have blocks associated. I would like to update these blocks with new ones. The new blocks are all dwg files. Is there a way to import the dwg files and update the block definitions? Will this mess up the styles? Do I need to worry about annotation scales? Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mathewkol
in reply to: lambertb

If you insert one of those dwg files and it is the same name as the block, the block will be redefined to match (if you say yes when prompted). Any style using that block will oof course be updated. Annotative scales are ignored by styles.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 13
lambertb
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks. Anyway to do this in a batch. I have 100 blocks to replace. Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 4 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Write a script. should take a fraction of the time to insert 100 blocks

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
lambertb
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Having no knowledge of writing scripts, any advice?

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 6 of 13
Joe-Bouza

A script is merly a text file with keyboard commands and the file has an extension <name>.scr

Practice with the command line >> -insert <block name> yada yada...

There are many utilities available to simplify the process. DOTSOFT.com comes to mind, There may even be a free utility via autodesk.com

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
jmayo-EE

You can also drag and drop them from Design Center. Not automatic but you have the option to redefine the block which you do not get dragging and dropping from windows explorer.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
lambertb

This methods seem to replace blocks already in a drawing maybe? I have a dwg file with many blocks stored. I have external dwg files that have the elements of a block. When I go to insert block, then browse, I browse to D:\blocks\ac.dwg. etc. Clicking ok asks to redefine the block. Can a script be used to import external files for blocks? The inset command with a file path doesn't seem to redefine the block. It pulls in the block already in the dwg. Thanks. PS I will check for some utilities.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 9 of 13
wfberry

I think you would be best served by using Design Center.  (Type DC)  I cannot determine if you have single dwg's for blocks or dwg's with a number of blocks in them.  You know that a single dwg is a block if inserted in your drawing.

Play with Design Center, you will definitey find a need to use it.

Bill

Message 10 of 13
PappaDale
in reply to: mathewkol

Try Express>Blocks>Replace block with another block (BLOCKREPLACE on the command line).

Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: PappaDale

BlockReplace does not permit you to update an existing block definition with an external dwg.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Use Design Center

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
kehale
in reply to: PappaDale

Excellent.  Simple command to 'replace blocks'. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report