Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming a Surface that is Referenced!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jessy1980
1340 Views, 4 Replies

Renaming a Surface that is Referenced!

I am working in Civil 3D 2010 and I created a surface a while back which 4 pipe networks have been referenced to and the surface has been data shortcut'd. I am now facing the issue that the surface needed to be renamed.

I looked in the Data Shortcuts folder and the name didn't change on the shortcut. All the pipe networks have errors now cause it is looking for a surface that technically no longer exists.

I tried deleting the Data Shortcut and creating a new one with the new name and resetting all the networks to the new surface but I am still gettting errors.

Is there a step that I am missing to get all this to link together properly with the new name?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccoles
in reply to: Jessy1980

Try this: Rename the file the original surface with the re-named surface is in, like add an 'A' or '1' to the end of the file name. Then, open the file with the shortcut reference and the pipe network in it. You may receive a message about broken references. If not, the surface in 'Prospector' will have a yellow caution sign next to it. Right-clicking on it should give you the option of fixing the broken references. Redirect it to the new file. It should find the surface with the new name and update the reference. If not, you should be able to pick the surface in the new file. HOWEVER, the name of the referenced surface will not change in this piep network file. You'll need to do this manually in 'surface properties'.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 5
Jessy1980
in reply to: ccoles

I missed a piece of information in my previous email about the issue I am having.

The pipe networks that won't relink to the correct surface aren't the original pipe networks. The ones in the original drawing with the surface, relinked no problem. The ones causing the issues have been referenced into another drawing.

It doesn't give a broken reference error when you open this file.

We don't want to have to un-reference these pipe networks and re-reference them. Is there a way to force them to read from the newly renamed surface?

Thank you and Sorry for the mix up.

Message 4 of 5
ccoles

But, that is why you need to rename the surface file. To force a broken link. Then, you can map the referenced surface to the new one, and everything should update to the newer surface. This way, you don't need to re-link every structure in the referenced pipe network.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 5
jmayo-EE

If you rename a surface you can use the DataShortcut Editor to fix the references.

Rename the surface and save the file. Open the data shortcut editor and open the project folder. Locate the datashorcut in the right pane and change the "Use to Match' field from 'Handle Only' to 'Name Only'.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report