Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing .dst from Recent Documents list

62 REPLIES 62
Message 1 of 63
mjung
3252 Views, 62 Replies

Removing .dst from Recent Documents list

Does anyone know of a way to remove the .dst listings in the "Recent Documents" list on the "File" pulldown? We use Civil 3D mostly with dwg files and they are usually pushed off the list because of Sheet Set Manager files. Some of these dst's haven't been opened in weeks? But there still at the top of the list....very unproductive when you have to go searching for a dwg file you were just working on......

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
62 REPLIES 62
Message 41 of 63
rkmcswain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Gee RK, sorry, I must have been over looking them

I didn'realize the zeal for the recent docs. consider my mouth shut on the topic

Didn't mean for my reply to come off with a tone.

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

..."That has nothing to do with my (or anyone else's){? curious} workflow."... Kinda harsh for offering a suggestion, aye?

My point is that just because you and I think SSM is great doesn't mean everyone else does. Just because a feature is not popular (opening drawings w/o SSM), doesn't mean it should be abandoned.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 42 of 63
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

I Concur, and thanks for clearing the dust Smiley Wink

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 43 of 63
rhdins
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

So has anyone actually come up with a solution to this?

I tried clearing out the Profile.aws file and the sheet set files are still in my recent documents list.  And, if I sort by access date, all of the sheet set files are still there, it says I accessed them all today (I haven't)

Message 44 of 63
rkmcswain
in reply to: rhdins

@rhdins wrote:

So has anyone actually come up with a solution to this?

I tried clearing out the Profile.aws file and the sheet set files are still in my recent documents list.  And, if I sort by access date, all of the sheet set files are still there, it says I accessed them all today (I haven't)

Here is my example.

Yesterday, I had 3 or 4 drawings open, working on each of them

This morning I opened C3D, and saved the default empty drawing (as the junk33.dwg you can see here)

There is a DST that is says was accessed today (it wasn't), and 7 DST files under "older".

No mention of any of the 3-4 drawings I was in all day yesterday.

Since all I want to do is open the last drawing I was in yesterday, this is worthless to me.

recent.png

Message 45 of 63
rkmcswain

Since that last post, I opened (using File>Open>Browse) a single drawing and worked in it until just a few minutes ago.  Then I saved, closed C3D, and restarted C3D.  Here is my "Recent" list now.

Not only does it not show the DWG file I just closed, but two of the three DST files it shows as "last used today" - were absolutely NOT accessed today, or even in the last few weeks for that matter.

recent2.png

Message 46 of 63
troma

Kudos for rkmcswain for clearly identifying the problem and the stupidity of the current situation.  Thanks for expressing my frustration!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 47 of 63
phunter7

Dear Autodesk,

The whole point of "recent files" is to open recent FILES not another possible long list of files. In all of the situations I have worked in using SSM, the list of FILES involved is no less than 30. In some cases, it is well over 100. Because of the way you have programmed the "recent files" menu, it has been rendered completely useless by any office that has multiple, large sheet set number projects (most likely over half your users). Anyone that uses SSM knows how awesome it is for organizing a sheet set, BUT that does not mean we want the **** thing referenced every time the wind blows. Make "recent files" recent FILES....not DSTs!!!!

Message 48 of 63
gcarpenter
in reply to: phunter7

Yeah, I felt your pain!
Now I just use Bluebeam Revu CAD 'batch PDF creator'.
Hehehe, no more DSTs.

Cheers
Greg
Civil engineering & building design drafting
(iPad mini)
Message 49 of 63
Pointdump
in reply to: phunter7

PH,

To give you something to do while you're turning blue waiting for AutoDesk to fix their crappy program, try this:

Jeff's solution here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Remove-DST-s-from-Recent-Documents-list/m-p/3...

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 50 of 63
Nrhoads
in reply to: mjung

Has anyone put a support request into Adesk? This is clearly a bug! I'm using Civil 3D 2013, is this problem still happening in 2014???

Message 51 of 63
rkmcswain
in reply to: Nrhoads

I'm pretty sure it's been reported a few hundred times.

I don't have time to find the source right now, but I'm also pretty sure that the response from Autodesk is "Working as designed"
Message 52 of 63
Nrhoads

I'll let you know what "they" say to me about it...

Message 53 of 63
rkmcswain
in reply to: Nrhoads

One of the places where it was confirmed to have been reported was in 05-2011

Link: http://autodesk.lithium.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Recent-documents-list/m-p/3036096#M153054

Earlier in that thread it was mentioned it has been broken since R2009

This post was remarking that is has been broken for 5 years, and the post itself is almost 2 years old.

http://autodesk.lithium.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Recent-documents-list/m-p/3413751#M174822

Message 54 of 63
Nrhoads

I submitted a bug report and opened a support case, like many others have done.  I doubt I'll get anywhere but I did this because I am curious what Autodesk has to say. I downloaded the tool Jeff_M created. It worked fine and I am very thankful for people like him.

Besides the tool, I did find a "WORKAROUND" to the recent documents list issue.  There is a "HISTORY" shortcut in the open drawing dialog box on the left in places. It can quickly be sorted by date and you have a recent list of dwg files.

Message 55 of 63
Nrhoads

rkmcswain,

I asked the support tech to push my case to the development team and she did.  She also sent me a link to submit "feedback" which I already have but I call it a "bug report" http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

I added your "example" with the screenshots to my case. Maybe we will get somewhere with this. Sometimes you have to spell it out for them with a very thorough example like you posted in this thread. All I can do is hope they will get the memo.

Message 56 of 63
jeffr
in reply to: mlg

Could you please update us on the fix for removing .dst files from the recent documents?  I sorted by access date and the .dst files are at the top.  I'm in ACAD 2014.  most of the .dst files relate to projects I haven't opened in 6+ months, but the take priority over the files I had opened just yesterday.  I would love to see these disappear to I can just see the relevaent .dwg files.  Please help.

Jeff

Message 57 of 63
rkmcswain
in reply to: jeffr

Could you please update us on the fix for removing .dst files from the recent documents?  I sorted by access date and the .dst files are at the top.  I'm in ACAD 2014.  most of the .dst files relate to projects I haven't opened in 6+ months, but the take priority over the files I had opened just yesterday.  I would love to see these disappear to I can just see the relevaent .dwg files.  Please help.

Have you downloaded the 3rd party tool described here?

Message 58 of 63
Jeff_M

First, Welcome to the forums, Jeff!

@JeffR wrote:

Jeff

Have you seen/tried the most recent program I posted to THIS thread?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 59 of 63
jeffr

Thanks, but we don't have permission to load a 3rd party program here at work.  We are all hoping Autodesk will issue a fix directly.

Message 60 of 63
Nrhoads

From an earlier post of mine that you might have missed:

Besides the tool, I did find a "WORKAROUND" to the recent documents list issue.  There is a "HISTORY" shortcut in the open drawing dialog box on the left in places. It can quickly be sorted by date and you have a recent list of dwg files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report