Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing .dst from Recent Documents list

62 REPLIES 62
Message 1 of 63
mjung
3259 Views, 62 Replies

Removing .dst from Recent Documents list

Does anyone know of a way to remove the .dst listings in the "Recent Documents" list on the "File" pulldown? We use Civil 3D mostly with dwg files and they are usually pushed off the list because of Sheet Set Manager files. Some of these dst's haven't been opened in weeks? But there still at the top of the list....very unproductive when you have to go searching for a dwg file you were just working on......

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
62 REPLIES 62
Message 21 of 63
mlg
Contributor
in reply to: mjung

Here we are, January 2010 and we still don't have a fix for the .dst files in the Recent Documents list! Hello Autodesk! How about a fix!!
Message 22 of 63
Matt.Anderson

What version? 2010?

Why not just sort it by access date?
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 23 of 63
mlg
Contributor

2010. I feel like an idiot! That was too easy!! I guess what I was looking for was a way to NOT have the DST files listed since we typically use the Recent Document list for lone drawings we are working with. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to someone that couldn't see the trees for the forest!!
Message 24 of 63
AndrewBattye3028

Sorting by access date only revealed drawings that had been opened in the current session. As soon as you close and restart a session, the DST files take preference.
Message 25 of 63
Matt.Anderson

Andrew -

Sounds like you might be missing a registry value - does the Documents list not remain?

http://civil3dpedia.com/2010/02/17/recent-documents-sorting/

Try that.

Matthew Anderson, PE

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 26 of 63
ThomasGlidewell

I have done this and seems to work nicely for sorting by the date.

One thing i did just notice about this whole thing was that when you have been working in drawings the show up in the recent list when you close out and come back into Civil 3d the dst's are listed and not the dwg's. We all know this.

But I noticed if i am working and opening drawings and they show up in my list then when i close outta CAD and make sure that the Tool Palette for SSM is off it holds the dwg's listed in the recent list when i restart. But if i close down with the SSM open the dst are in the list when i restart.

Also as soon as i open the SSM tool palette while in cad the dst take precidence in the recent list.
Weird???

Civil 3D 2010 all sp's and sap's
Message 27 of 63
gcarpenter

We are well into 2012 version & still no 'dst' fix.

2013 is on it's way. We can only hope !!!!

Here it is. Just in case you haven't seen it  Smiley FrustratedDSTs in file list.jpg

Message 28 of 63
Sinc
in reply to: gcarpenter

Keep hoping for 2014...  😞

I personally find it very disturbing that something like this has gone un-addressed by Autodesk for so many years...  ESPECIALLY since they keep force-feeding us these yearly incompatible releases.

Sinc
Message 29 of 63
rkmcswain
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

Keep hoping for 2014...  😞

I personally find it very disturbing that something like this has gone un-addressed by Autodesk for so many years...  ESPECIALLY since they keep force-feeding us these yearly incompatible releases.

It's very frustrating - because you know it would take one programmer probably an hour at most to fix this - and yet it has persisted for 5+ years. (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now 2013).

Why Autodesk?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 30 of 63
_Hathaway
in reply to: rkmcswain

My workaround:  Add 'History' to my folder selections on the left when opening a drawing.  Click on history and sort by date.  Looking back now, I really dont know how I added 'history' to my open file options. 

Granted, Autodesk should fix this obviously glaring and painful issue.  It really is uncomprehensible how long this has gone on.

Message 31 of 63
Joe-Bouza

Aren't your civil3d dwgs model views for some sheet set? I use the model view tab on SSM the acces my civil3d and xref dwgs all the time. to me the dst list in the recent docs is a great thing. But then I use SSM for weverything

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 32 of 63
Joe-Bouza

That tells me the programmer want you to use SSM to acces your drawings, no?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 33 of 63
Jeff_M
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Only about 1/4 of the drawings I work with are associated to a SS, so having DST's show up when I want to open a recent DWG is ludicrous, especially since once they are there they never seem to go away without performing needless trickery.

The good news is that I've written a standalone application to deal with these pests. We will be releasing it as a service to the community as soon as I get some final feedback from a few testers. Works outside of Autocad (and cannot be run if Autocad is running) and will cleanup all recent documents lists for both Autocad (and all verticals) and SSM, tested with versions 2009-2013.

RecentDocumentsListManager.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 34 of 63
_Hathaway

Only about 0.1% of the drawings I work with are associated with a sheet set.  Only reason its 0.1% is that I had to use something from our Civil side that was setup with sheet sets. Once I used it my list was FUBAR'd...

Message 35 of 63
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: _Hathaway

I'll keep playing devils advocate here because I think the statistics are misinterpreted. To accept the statistics then 99.9% of all your design work does not belong to or have any relevance to a drawing or drawing set. Could that really be true?

Lets look at the word associated - I'm not advocating these 99.9% design files, working drawing or whatnots are "associated" to any given sheet, but surely they have some connection to the deliverables, no?

On the model tab of SSM you can add folders to shortcut navigation to the 99.9% that have nothing to do with the deliverables and hence utilize SSM as a navigation tool. Since the programmers are ignoring the request to get rid of the dst from the recent docs list - I choose to go with the flow and use SSM to navigate my deliverable and the other 99.9% of my civil3d work that has absolutely nothing to do with the project.

I know it seems ludicrous but it works for me, and evidently the programmer in charge of the recent docs list too Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 36 of 63
_Hathaway

It's actually less than .1%.  I have worked on well over 1000 different files in the past 3 years and only once did I come across the Sheet set manager.  Several of my techs have NEVER need or used sheet set manager ( I warn them to not open up certain design files so as to not invoke the DST wrath )  For designers the sheet set manager is fine for surveyor's it's not at all.

p.s... . I have no real problem with the DST issue as my workaround adds 1 extra click when accessing my drawing files and is doesn't waste any time.

Message 37 of 63
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: _Hathaway

Hi Mike

So if all these files have nothing to do with drawings who gets the bill? Smiley Wink

Obviously, we have completely different working environments, and I guess that's tuff for Autodesk to make everyone happy. 

But wouldn't you find it helpful to have a palette on your screen that shows all the drawings you are currently working on? You could even do it with an empty SheetSet and keep the model tab on top.

What kind of "Wrath" have you encountered? My experience with SSM has been pretty stellar?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 38 of 63
rkmcswain

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

That tells me the programmer want you to use SSM to acces your drawings, no?

If you run across any of my forum and/or blog posts over the past years, you will see that I am a huge proponent of Sheet Set Manager. It is easily one of the best new features introduced over the past decade. But that has nothing to do with my (or anyone else's) workflow.

I use SSM daily, but I also do a lot of support and debugging - which means I often open dwg files that I ordinarily would have no interest it. If a particular drawing is associated with a SS, then the .DST gets added to my recent list and there is sits, seemingly forever....when I'll never need it again.

I think a filter on the recent list would server most people. You could set it to ignore .DST files if desired.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 39 of 63
coopdetat

In a perfect world... AutoCAD would be perfect!  Alas, we must work in an imperfect world.  There are old drawings, new drawings, drawings that have never been part of a project that was added to SSM.  I get bounced around all the time by various PM's and invariably I need to work on a drawing that has never been near a SheetSet.  If I go back to the SheetSet I was working with and then the PM comes back for yet another revision I must browse to the file location among hundreds or even thousands of folders.  Since I know where the file is it usually doesn't take more than 30 seconds or so but that is about 28 seconds longer than picking it off of a recent file list.  In AutoCAD's vision of a perfect world everything will be in a SheetSet.  Never mind that setting up a sheetset for just one or two drawings is more trouble than it is worth.  If the project is large, old, and essentially complete it can be a serious waste of time to create a new sheetset to manage the drawings with.

Don't get me wrong.  I make a sheetset every time I can just to access the publish tools if nothing else; however, if there are very many drawings it will take some time to get the sheetset right and I don't always get enough time budgeted to retrofit a sheetset to a old project.  Then I must resort to our old homebrewed project management software.

Jeff M, I am anxiously looking forward to your standalone app to help with this problem.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
Message 40 of 63
Joe-Bouza

Gee RK, sorry, I must have been over looking them Smiley Wink

..."That has nothing to do with my (or anyone else's){? curious} workflow."... Kinda harsh for offering a suggestion, aye?

I didn'realize the zeal for the recent docs. consider my mouth shut on the topic

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report