Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

References not updating

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
RyanElam
816 Views, 9 Replies

References not updating

I have a recurring problem that I can't seem to figure out.  I have my existing grade TIN surface as a data shortcut into my roadway design file, but it sometimes will not update when opening the drawing.  The surface profile will not display until the surface is manually synced.  Any labels that are associated with that surface (or other object) will just display the ??? because it can't seem to connect to the data.  After a manual sync it seems to come back.  This is a big problem, especially when printing from the SSM.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan

Civil 3D 2013
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: RyanElam

So is this problem limited to plan production sheets?

Also are there Pipe network source drawings attached to the plan sheets?
If yes try unloading or detaching all pipe network source drawings, save, exit & open file and see if the syncing improves?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 10
RyanElam
in reply to: Jay_B

There is a pipe network source drawing attached.  Is it better to just data shortcut the pipe networks in opposed to an xref?  We split out everything into base files and then xref the base files in.  

It's not limited to production sheets only.  Our base road file also contains our production profile.  We create the profile view and xref it into the sheet file.

Ryan

Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 10
Jay_B

See This thread, I suspect there could be a similar issue going on for you. We Dref the Pipe Networks and try to avoid this glitch by not attaching the source PN.dwg to the Plan Sheet files.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Anyone-have-some-drafting-supplies/m-p/3875595/highli...
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 10
RyanElam

Thanks Jay.  I'll give it a try.  Pipe networks really seem to be more trouble than they are worth.  The pipe network in this particular drawing is 6 pipes and 8 structures.  I really wouldn't think that would tax the system and cause this error, but it is the common thread.  Thanks.

Ryan

Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 10
Jeff_M

@RyanElam wrote:

I really wouldn't think that would tax the system and cause this error, but it is the common thread.  Thanks.

It's not taxing the system. Autodesk changed the way it looks for objects needing to be Synch'ed at drawing load starting with C3D2012 SP2 & C3D2013 SP1. It seems to act like when it finds a Pipe Network in an Xref it just stops doing any sync's after that. It's a royal PITA and I have been all over Autodesk's to get this fixed, yet it remains a year later. If you would please submit a support request on this to add one more customer to those asking for this to be corrected.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 10
Jay_B

No problem, don't give up on pipe networks just yet.
This Annoying glitch can be managed for the most part by avoiding having the PN source dwg detached or unloaded in plan production sheets.
Once you become more familiar with them, you may find the benefits easily outweigh other alternatives.
Pipe Networks and data shortcuts offer an efficient means of displaying many systems in multiple ways throughout the plan set Once everything is set up.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 10
RyanElam

I'm pretty familiar with the pipe networks, and I think they would be awesome if they actually worked like Autodesk says they are supposed to.  The import/export functions between Civil 3D and storm sewers or SSA are a joke.  Even with spending the time to get your import/export settings correct, they still can't match up well.  The part builder is a whole other animal as well.  The display of pipe networks in plan view is also marginal at best.  They also seem to cause all sorts of trouble with the drawings they are in.  I'm not giving up on them yet, I just wish they were closer to what they are supposed to be.  When I started, we could spit out a profile from our spreadsheet and be done with it.  It's hard to justify all of the tinkering and work arounds necessary coming from that.

Ryan

Civil 3D 2013
Message 9 of 10
RyanElam
in reply to: Jeff_M

I've never submitted a support request, can you direct me to the right place to go?

Ryan

Civil 3D 2013
Message 10 of 10
Jay_B

You need to be on "subscription" and this thread has a screen shot (post 6) showing where to submit a support request.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Civil-3D-2013-Servicepack-2/m-p/4363674#M211434
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report