Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirecting Data Shortcuts

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mcwap-dvc
8625 Views, 8 Replies

Redirecting Data Shortcuts

Is it possible to redirect a data shortcut?

I have a large model containing 40km of pipeline. The pipe network and alignment were then brought into separate drawing via data shortcuts where the sheet layouts and long sections were generated.

The pipeline is now under construction and we need to compile the as-built drawings as the pipeline is constructed. I want to make a copy of the model containing the pipe network and alignment, then update that to reflect the as-built information.

I also want to copy the drawings (containing the layouts and long sections), but these would still reference the model used to generate the construction drawings.

Is it possible to redirect these data shortcuts? Or any other suggestions?

(Using Civil3D 2011) - we could upgrade to 2012 if required.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
troma
in reply to: mcwap-dvc

Hit the start menu and begin typing 'Data Shortcuts Editor'.  I've never used this program, but it is there with my installation of 2011.  I believe you should close out of C3D to use this editor.

The other way I've repointed shortcuts is to break them and fix them again.  If you move or rename the source file, the shortcut can't be found any more.  When you open the host drawing it will ask you if you want to fix them.  You can then browse and point to any drawing file to repoint the shortcut.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 9
rjairath

Yes it is possible to redirect data shortcuts

I do this quite often when switching from design to as built.

1. Duplicate your design files into a folder called as built (rename as needed).

2. Move your design file to different folder called design (we can move them back at the end)

3. Now open your as built files (coped design files) one at the time..

4. When you open them.. They will not be able to find the reference file, since you moved it into another folder.

5. You will get a pop to repair data shortcuts.. One by one  re-path them to the new as built folder.

6. And then after drawing are connected.. Go ahead and update or makes changes to your as built surfaces.

Data shortcut editor does similar thing as well

I use it because you can mass update multiple files at the same time.

You can use features like find and replace, and quickly change the path for each data shortcut reference.

**keep in mind** do not edit any surfaces or civil 3D elements (rename) until after you have reconnected all the data shortcut paths.  If you decide to copy your deign files and update surface or rename them from design to asbuilt..the broken reference may not reconnect as it may not recognize the new name.

Thank you for reading,

Win7 64bit Pro
Xeon E5-1620 v2, 3.70GHz, 32GB Ram

Please mark solution found if this post solved your issue or give kudos when appropriate.

Message 4 of 9
mcwap-dvc
in reply to: rjairath

Thank you!

That works great.

Message 5 of 9
karengray2783

Help!  I tried editing the drawing name to a different file with the Data Shortcut editor and now my layout sheets won't open.  I've tried to save the drawing name back to the original, but still have no luck opening the P&P sheets.  I've tried recovering the drawings and opening the back up copy.  As well as partially opening the drawing.  Trying to think of every trick, but all my sheets (plan and profile, grading sheets, etc.) seem to be corrupt and Civil 3d won't open them.  Please help me!

Message 6 of 9
NATE_AT_KMC

I did as suggested and it works for the as-built drawings but when I open the design drawings their references too have been redirected to the new as-built folder.  Is there a way to keep the design references to the design files or did I miss something.

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
rjairath
in reply to: NATE_AT_KMC

sorry to hear something went as miss for you, maybe my instructions were not very clear.

I will try re address them (bear with me)

I have 2 folders; Model Drawings, Const Drawings

in the Model drawing folder I create gradings, corridors, surface and make data reference for them.

in my Const drawing folders, I make sheet where, I data reference in the models and create annotations, notes, dimensions, etc.

the above is Design phase.

now we will asbuilt our design drawings but while still keep our design drawings active.

make new folder called asbuilt.

move our model drawing folder into the asbuilt folder.

copy our const drawing folder into the asbuilt folder.

in the asbuilt folder, open a sheet inside cont drawing folder you will get error "data reference not found".. (since we moved it into the asbuilt folder), click repair and select new path, save asbuilt const drawing sheet.  (do this for all asbuilt const drawing sheets)

Now copy model files back into the design folder, so when you open the design const files they will not give any errors,  becasue for them nothing has changed

now your data references shortcuts still point to the design model folder they will not change just because you made copy, if you need to add data reference for your asbuilt model to create new const drawing sheet. create a new data shortcut project under the working dwgs (call it as asbuilt), open your as built models and click create data shortcut under the new project.  I also recommend you re name your model with ASB prefix so there is no confusion with the design element. open your asbuilt const drawings and when they synchronize, they will ask you to update reference name.

Hopefully this clear.

Thank you for reading,

Win7 64bit Pro
Xeon E5-1620 v2, 3.70GHz, 32GB Ram

Please mark solution found if this post solved your issue or give kudos when appropriate.

Message 8 of 9
pcwilhelm

If you are building this into your workflow strategy there are two pitfalls to be aware of. 

1. This can be very time consuming when working on large projects. (e.g. 30 Data References linked across 200 sheets).

2. Even after all links have been repaired the Civil3D labels (neatly lined up callouts on your profiles) usually reset to the default location. 

Message 9 of 9

We ran into this issue recently and for some reason couldn't get the suggested fixes to work. We stumbled across an article that describes another tool in AutoCAD that helps with repairing data shortcuts: https://envisioncad.com/autocad-civil-3d-tip-civil-3d-2016-data-shortcut-manager/. We followed the steps in this article and voila! Problem solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report