Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular Pressure pipes possible?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
graf_p
890 Views, 10 Replies

Rectangular Pressure pipes possible?

Is it possible to create a rectangular Pressure pipe? I use pressure pipes for water & gas lines on my profile views. Since you can set the depth of cover with Pressure Pipes it's much easier then using Pipe Netoworks for these type of utilities. I have a lot of existing rectangular communication ducts of various sizes that needs to inculded on my profiles. I tried asking this question on the customization forum, but Autodesk suggest I post my question here.

Thanks,

Paul

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: graf_p

Yes just start with a  3d solid object.

This is part 1 of 4. They do a pipe I believe in part 3. Use a rectangle instead of a circle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfIh2rK7vA0

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
graf_p
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I have watched these videos before but did not see a custom pipe being created using the content catalog editor, only valves & hydrants.

Message 4 of 11
jmayo-EE

Sorry I though it was in there.

The pipe is a very simple part.

Draw a line in plan. Go to a 3d view and draw a rectangle at the bottom of the pline in the Z plane. Use the extrude command.

This is an acad exercise so if you want google hits search autocad 3d pipe or something similar.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
graf_p

I know I can project 3d solids to my profile, but is it possible to create a rectangualr preassure pipe? 

Message 6 of 11
jmayo-EE

Why would you think you can't? It's all 3d solids. It all boils down to a different shape to extrude. I would think this can be anything you want. Circle, Rectangle, triangle, hexegone, any irregular polygon.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
graf_p

Sorry, but I am confused now. I originally asked this question on the the customization forum & Autodesk replied saying they doubt that this part could be created, but I should try asking this forum. I am not saying I can't.. I am asking if I can. Are you saying I can create a rectangular pressure pipe part using the contest catalog editor?

Message 8 of 11
jmayo-EE

I don't see anything that would prevent this based on those videos or the partpublishing word doc that is installed with C3D. You should be able to make any shape pipe you want as long as you start with an AutoCAD 3d Solid.

I would just try it.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
jmayo-EE

Now that I try this my expectations are not being lived up to. PartPublishContent does not have an option to create a pipe...

Me and my big pie hole..

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
graf_p

Bummer.. Thank you for showing interest & testing this out. I understand Pressure pipes are still their infancy stage, maybe when they "grow up" this can be done.

Message 11 of 11
jmayo-EE

Yep they are a new feature. Wish I had a better solution.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report