Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover file size

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
dstevens_bellefeng
451 Views, 14 Replies

Recover file size

Why is it, after a crash that my recover drawing file is not complete. I have a 2mb drawing and the recover file is only 3kb. When you try to open it I get the "Drawing file is not valid" error.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sboon
in reply to: dstevens_bellefeng

It happens sometimes.  The software is not able to save everything before the crash.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 15

It seems to be happening every time.

Message 4 of 15
sboon
in reply to: dstevens_bellefeng

Then you have a seriously f'd up drawing.  Generally I only see invalid recovery drawings after 10-20% of my crashes.  You may want to try exporting everything you can and starting over from a clean template.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 15

What version are you on. The further you go back, the less likely it is that you'll get a valid file. (In my opinion)

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15

The latest and greatest from what Autodesk claims.

Civil 3D 2012 sp1

Windows 7 pro

i7 processor

nvidia Quadro 2000

Message 7 of 15

Civil3d 2012 - Whenever we crash, which isn't alot but it does happen, the recovery file is ALWAYS 1-5kb and contains nothing.  This is emulated on 4 different cpus and drawings of all sorts.  We have never successfully recovered a dwg after a crash.

Message 8 of 15
dibr0804
in reply to: _Hathaway

Whenever I crash a .dwg about 95% of them are invalid... and it seems like the reason why it crashes is because of an autosave; an autosave that never actually saves anything..

Message 9 of 15
sboon
in reply to: _Hathaway

Wow - I've crashed 3-4 times today and recovered successfully every single time.  It's a hardware problem - I'm waiting for a new computer but I have to keep working on this one for now.  The recovery file that I'm opening up while typing is 120MB, and I'm back to work no problems.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 15

You have the same app, OS, processor and graphics card as I do. I am able to recover most of my recovery files in 2012.

What is in the files that keep crashing?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
AllenJessup
in reply to: dibr0804

That's strange. I have some pretty messed up drawing right now and even with them I get good recovery files 4 out of 5 times.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15

The drawing is crashing on a cross section layout.

I'm sure it's a file problem and I'll work it out. Not the first corrupt ACAD file I've had to deal with.

Also, I believe the reduced file size started when I upgraded from C3D 2010 to C3D2012.

Message 13 of 15

There are lots of posts about problems with Recover. I can't explain why it works for some but not for others. You might find an answer if you go through them.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 14 of 15

Thank you Neil.

I will pursue it there.

Message 15 of 15
MaryBell1
in reply to: AllenJessup

Has anyone found a solution to this issue.... With the program being as unstable as it is (at least for me) you would think a fix for this would be priority for Autodesk. Unless I'm using the recover drawing the wrong way. In previous versions of LDT I didn't often crash. In C3D its a common occurance in some drawings. I have been opening it from the Drawing recovery manager and it NEVER work... not once out of maybe 50 crashes has it worked. The file obviously is too small. My work around is setting the autosave to every 10 mins but just wish the recover drawings were usable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report