Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record Drive?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Wanita17
3268 Views, 10 Replies

Record Drive?

Is there any way to record DRIVE? I can show the project manager the design in minutes with DRIVE. Yet trying to recreate the same output with 3DFLY is an exercise in patience.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: Wanita17

Get yourself a copy of Jing, a free screen recorder. Civil 3D does not provide a way to record the Drive, but you can start Jing, then start your Drive and you'll have a recording. It allows you to pick a window defining what part of the screen to record, so you don't have to show the Civil 3D program, only the drive.

If you want to have ability to edit, for $300 you can get Camtasia Studio. Nice piece of software. Many of us on this discussion board use it.

Please follow up to this thread with your results.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: tcorey

there is also this one from autodesk: http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/chronicle

this only works with 2013

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
BrianHailey
in reply to: DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

there is also this one from autodesk: http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/chronicle

this only works with 2013

As far as I know, Chronicle only records the entire application and you can't select just the drawing area (for example). Don't get me wrong, it's a great tool but it was created for recording training type videos. I use it to record trouble shooting issues as well. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 11
Wanita17

Thanks Tim! Jing worked awesome!  Thank you for your help.  (File size is too big to post here.)  Until I can finally figure out all the settings to get ANIPATH to show all my rendered surfaces DRIVE command with Jing is the way I will be making these videos for now! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Wanita17
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for the link Darren,

I am going to try Chronicle for my next lunch and learn, it looks like a great tool for presentation. 

Message 7 of 11
ouspensky

why doesn't DRIVE have a record option? this is so basic so simple for a product with "3D" in the name as to imply it gives the power to draw in 2D vizualize in 3D and yet here we are release 2014 still doesn't include this basic function.  I guess if we want to show clients the road we designed we'll have to drag run it from inside the software and hope it doesn't as usual crash.

Message 8 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: ouspensky

If you don't have Infrastructure Design Suite Premium or Ultimate, which include InfraWorks, then you can just use AutoCAD's built-in animation/recording. If you do have InfraWorks, I highly recommend you do it there. It's super easy, fast and great quality.

Be sure you have extracted your crown feature line from the corridor as a 3d polyline and AutoCAD can follow that.

I can't answer why Drive has no record option, but I do agree that it seems like it should be there. I mean, c'mon people. Oh well, there are reasonable workarounds.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 11
jmayo-EE

What issues do  you have with anipath?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
dgorsman

Lets expand that a little bit.  What would you like it recorded to (AVI?  MPEG? H.264?)?  What resolution would you like?  I'm sure there's a few other questions which could provide enough answers for any future development.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 11
ouspensky
in reply to: dgorsman

I would like H.264 because that can be placed directly in PDF as a
multimedia object or inserted into HTML it also has a small file size and
good quality.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report