AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 21 of 54 (1,730 Views)

Re: Recent documents list

01-14-2012 02:38 AM in reply to: neilyj

I still keep trying fixes for the non-functional Recent Docs list, and nothing seems to "stick", at least if you use the Sheet Set Manager.  I know it's being kept somewhere, and the "right trick" will  probably get rid of it, but it's been a rather frustrating search.

(Now watch...  Jeff will come back with the answer that eluded me..:smileyhappy: ) )

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 22 of 54 (1,722 Views)

01-14-2012 09:04 AM in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:

(Now watch...  Jeff will come back with the answer that eluded me..:smileyhappy: ) )

I wish.... I thought I had the solution, once, and then that, too, was proven ineffective. My C3D2010 RDL shows 24 dst's and 1 dwg....and that 1 is all the way at the bottom. Really Friggin' Annoying.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 23 of 54 (1,717 Views)

01-14-2012 10:27 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

I share everyone's pain on this topic.

Not delete recent file history solution here but an option to start out with a clean history list.....

At our company we have user profiles stored on network & these Profiles were being imported on everyone's cpu & would immediately populate the  Application menu > Recent Documents list with 30 or more .dst files!

This was happening because the profile.arg had been exported from a windows user account containing a lengthy dst history list, (so we all loaded John Doe's recent list on our computers), unknowingly.

Because as previously stated in this thread the recent history is stored in the registry, it's hard to remove (without running risk of messing up your cpu registry).

The solution we used was to create a new windows user account on my computer & set up the profiles how I wanted them & then export the .arg files.

Then at least with a clean install / new system, importing our saved profiles won't initially contain any unwanted file history after importing our arg's from network.

Unfortunately. I don't believe it will remove the existing dst's listed in your current windows user account.

Although a bit off topic, something to think about, if your at all involved in sharing user profiles with others.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 24 of 54 (1,711 Views)

01-15-2012 03:15 AM in reply to: Jay_B

Jay_B wrote:

Unfortunately. I don't believe it will remove the existing dst's listed in your current windows user account.

Exactly.  So even if you create a clean initial account, you'll soon end up with nothing but .DST files in your recent docs list.

I *think* there may be a way to fix this, since Autodesk hasn't fixed it in 5 years.  (The last time the Recent Docs list worked was in C3D 2008, IIRC.).  At least, I *think* things are being copied from a fille-on-disc back into the registry each time the SSM opens, which is why they keep coming back, even if they are deleted from the registry.  There might be a way to prevent that.  If I get it figured out, I'll add it to the Sincpac-C3D.  It might take a bit of time, though, since I have a bunch of other things on my plate...  OTOH, this is an issue that has been bugging me like crazy for years now, so I may focus on it just because of that...  :smileywink:

Sinc
GEORGESHM
Message 25 of 54 (1,605 Views)

04-13-2012 01:55 PM in reply to: Sinc

Sinc,

I frustratingly just got it to work. However there are 3 steps. This was for Windows 7 & autocad 2010.

1) Open a drawing and Close Autocad - Don't open again until you complete both of the following steps.

2) Using an XML editor open the latest profile.aws located below. There may be several profile subfolders

in the Profiles folder. Search in C:Users\  and edit the one last modified.

(I used  a free ware XMLNOTEPAD 2007 program)

Ex: C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010\R18.0\enu\Support\Profiles\YOURWORKINGPROFILENAME\profile.aws.

Search for mru_files (Most Recently Used)- Expand the subfolders will show the .dst file links.

Delete the ones you don't want and save.

3) Edit the regristy - Start/ Run/ Regedit.

Go to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8001:409\Recent File List\]

There will be a key name called File with a corresponding Value showing the .dst file links.

Delete the same ones.

Open autocad and the ones deleted will be gone.

Maybe someone can automate this a little better. At least there is a fix.

georgeshm

*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 26 of 54 (1,595 Views)

04-13-2012 11:09 PM in reply to: GEORGESHM

I've seen people recommend that solution for years now.  Haven't had much sucess with it myself.  There seems to be yet another another place where the Sheet Set Manager saves the recently-used DST files, and having the Sheet Set Manager docked and auto-hidden seems to cause it to re-insert all the recent DST files into the list again, EVEN when you try to do all those edits.

I find it hard to believe that Autodesk hasn't fixed this problem in 5 years.  It last worked in C3D 2008, but STILL doesn't work in C3D 2013.  Something like the "Recent Docs" list should be so basic that it shouldn't have ever been an issue.

They also have a NEW problem, in that the recent docs also don't work in the Windows Taskbar, at least if you adjust the STARTUP variable.  I think it's embarrassing to Autodesk that simple things like this don't work in AutoCAD.  These features work in EVERY other program I use.  Only Autodesk products fail, and this failure has gone on for YEARS now.

Sinc
Employee
Matt.Anderson
Message 27 of 54 (1,588 Views)

04-14-2012 09:41 AM in reply to: Sinc

Try this:

http://civil3dpedia.com/2010/02/17/recent-documents-sorting/

Matthew Anderson, PE
Product Manager
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 28 of 54 (1,585 Views)

04-14-2012 10:02 AM in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Sure would've been nice if that worked in C3D2012. Here's a screenshot of what mine looks like after making this change and running C3D for the first time today.

DST by date.png

Some of these I haven't had open in nearly a year. <sigh> Still looking for a solution.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 29 of 54 (1,575 Views)

04-14-2012 12:59 PM in reply to: AlmasSuljevic

These simple failures reflect very poorly on Autodesk.  Does ANYONE at Autodesk actually try to use thier own products?  (My guess is NO, otherwise things like this would not go through 5 years of releases with no fix.)

This might seem like a minor issue to the dev teams, but it is NOT a minor issue to users.

Sorry if that comment seems harsh to some, but as an actual end-user of Autodesk products, I think this is an important point for Autodesk to address (finally, after FIVE YEARS!!!!!).  ESPECIALLY since we are constantly force-fed incompatible releases every year, as the only possible solution to existing problems.

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 30 of 54 (1,568 Views)

04-14-2012 01:14 PM in reply to: neilyj
I suspect that they are more interested in the fancy all singing all dancing infrastructure products rather than getting the basics sorted out...!!
neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.