AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 11 of 18 (157 Views)

Re: Re-import event deletes control points from survey database

12-04-2013 01:47 PM in reply to: bixlert

I can confrim that the workaround bixlert posted is valid. I have been using this method for a few weeks now and has eliminated the headache of re-importing FBKs on larger jobs.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
Distinguished Contributor
n2itive
Message 12 of 18 (152 Views)

12-04-2013 01:59 PM in reply to: IanMcClain

Although I completely agree with the above suggestion (seperate the control points...), I will toss out another one.  Stop using FBK's files altogether. Personally, my life became much more pleasant after doing so :smileyhappy:

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Contributor
robert.rien
Message 13 of 18 (145 Views)

12-04-2013 02:09 PM in reply to: n2itive
There are reason we would like to use the FBK files, this is why we would like to have Autodesk address this very important issue, along with a list of other issues.
I never thought about creating multiple Network control files for my FBK downloads, and I really do not like having to do this to keep the program from deleting my data, but its a fair work-a-round for now, I can deal with the large amount of control files. I can also see that limiting my use of the FBK files will also help, but its still nice to be able to use that FBK file when I need to.
My 2 cents of all.
Contributor
pgcole
Message 14 of 18 (125 Views)

12-05-2013 09:45 AM in reply to: IanMcClain

We like to use the FBK files as well, mainly for fixing errors (bad rod heights, etc.) and for bringing in traverses.  Though the simplicity of bringing in a coordinate file is nice, for those of us that want to use the FBK import (and re-import) there's really no excuse for it not working the way it should.

I'm always curious how others bring in and manage their survey data.  Do most people use Civil 3d exclusively with coord file and FBK file imports?  Or another survey program for importing the points, traverse adjustments, etc?  I've never been a big fan of Autodesk's traverse routines, but I've made work for me well enough over the years.

Thanks bixlert for posting the re-import workaround using multiple networks, I'll start using that method.

Patrick

Mentor
mikehathaway2942
Message 15 of 18 (118 Views)

12-05-2013 12:14 PM in reply to: pgcole
We used to use FBK files and still do on special occasions that warrant its use. 95% of the time we simply import ascii files. We find this much easier. If we ever need to change raw data such as HI or BS orientation we use the software from our equipment manufacturer and then re-export the correct ascii file and then reimport to Civil3d.
Contributor
robert.rien
Message 16 of 18 (116 Views)

12-05-2013 12:26 PM in reply to: IanMcClain
While this is a common practice, it is not necessarily the best option in both time and money spent.
If you already own Civil 3D then why not just use Civil 3D? The simple answer is that its broke and it needs to be fixed.
Why should I have to pay for two software programs to do the same task when I should be able to use only one?

Let keep the pressure on Autodesk to fix our products so that we do not have to spend the money of someone else products.
Come on Autodesk, its time to spend some programing hours on us surveyors, Survey Quarries are nice, but we need to fix whats broke or give us a new way of working with our Survey Networks and Field files.
Just my 2 cents.
Mentor
mikehathaway2942
Message 17 of 18 (107 Views)

12-05-2013 12:47 PM in reply to: robert.rien
I agree that it should be fixed as I really do like the FBK functionality on small single import projects.

All survey vendors have office software that accompanies their equipment. How do you create your FBK file? Is this a straight export from the data collector?
Contributor
robert.rien
Message 18 of 18 (104 Views)

12-05-2013 12:52 PM in reply to: pgcole
Yes, it's a straight export from my collectors. I just flip to the file type.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.