Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raod with tow grade

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
LASSAADTH
350 Views, 9 Replies

Raod with tow grade

Hello experts,

I need your help in Subassembly composer.

I want to create a sub for a road with a grade -3%, and with exit which -3% but this last grade must be perpendicular to the axis of the exit.
the first point is "DX-slope"form origin but how I do to codify the second point? knowing i have the angle ᵠ.

road.png

Help please.

Lassaad THALJAOUI
Infrastructure Engineer
Autodesk Product professional User
Civil 3D 2016 x64 / Windows 7 64-bit / 16GB RAM
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
doni49
in reply to: LASSAADTH

The only thing that I can think of at the moment is to set the corridor region here to stop at that vertical line.  Then create a new alignment for the exit.  Have a subassembly follow the exit alignment.  The exit SA will be perpendicular to the exit alignment.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 10
LASSAADTH
in reply to: doni49

Thank you Doni49,

That's the trick !! I want to do the raod and exit in a single project with a signle typical corss section.

I want to find a mathematical relation between the diffrenets elments.

Lassaad THALJAOUI
Infrastructure Engineer
Message 4 of 10
KMercier_C3D

The problem really is that a subassembly cross section is always perpendicular to the alignment. If this section of the road is all at a constant grade you could calculate out what the equivalent perpendicular slope would be using some trig but if there are any vertical curves involved then you can't reference the elevation and/or grade of the equivalent perpendicular slope. If the road is in fact a constant grade I can help you work out a formula, otherwise I really wouldn't know how to tackle this other than with a secondary baseline along the exit.

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 5 of 10
sboon

Something like this?

Clipboard01.png

Or this?

Clipboard02.png

Both of these are created using OOTB subassemblies.  Search the Autodesk University classes for CI2160 to see how it's done.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 10
LASSAADTH
in reply to: sboon

Thank you Kati Sboon,
I confirm that the grade of the road is constant. So I'm looking for perpendicular grade according the principal grade -3% and the angle φ
I know I have a particular project above all I want to create all with a single cross section and a single corridor.

Thank you for your help.

Lassaad THALJAOUI
Infrastructure Engineer
Message 7 of 10
KMercier_C3D

Assuming the road is at a constant grade try this (Note I did not test this formula, so you will want to spot check it, if it doesn't act as expected let me know and I will look closer)

This assumes that the region starts where the exit alignment connects. This assumes you have an input parameter for exitangle is a "double" provided in degrees (if you make it an "integer" this will restrict it to whole number degrees if you prefer that, or if you are providing it in radians you can ignore the DefineVariable). You could also replace the -0.03 and use an input parameter for your -3%. 

P1 at edge of road (origin?)

DefineVariable = ExitAngleRADIANS (double)= exitangle*math.pi/180

P2 (define by Delta X and Delta Y):

Delta X = baseline.station*math.tan(exitangleRADIANS)

Delta Y = baseline.grade*(baseline.station*math.tan(exitangleRADIANS)*math.tan(exitangleRADIANS))+(-0.03)*(baseline.station*math.tan(exitangleRADIANS)*math.cos(exitangleRADIANS))

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 8 of 10
wfberry

It appears to me that this is nothing but a right triangle. So for an angle of 20 deg., how far off would be a slope of 3.19% be. I am assuming this is just plain ole earth and not a pool table top. Bill
Message 9 of 10
tcorey

@LASSAADTH wrote:

Thank you Kati Sboon,
I confirm that the grade of the road is constant. So I'm looking for perpendicular grade according the principal grade -3% and the angle φ
I know I have a particular project above all I want to create all with a single cross section and a single corridor.

Thank you for your help.

You probably have a good reason, but I don't understand your reluctance to make a single corridor with multiple baselines, possibly multiple assemblies? That is how the software is intended to be used when we address more-complex design scenarios.

Using an offset assembly is an idea you might want to consider. 

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 10 of 10
fcernst

...I'm looking for perpendicular grade according the principal grade -3% and the angle φ

-3/cos(φ)

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report