Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise/Lower surface doesnt affect contour tie ins

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Chaznsc
1282 Views, 17 Replies

Raise/Lower surface doesnt affect contour tie ins

Playing with the Raise-Lower surface editor and noted it doesnt redraw the contour tie ins I made to existing grade. Have I done something incorrect in creating my surface as it relates to tie ins?

chaz_

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mathewkol
in reply to: Chaznsc

What's a "contour tie-in"?  More details and maybe an image would help.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 18
Chaznsc

Contour tie ins are where proposed contours tie back to their existing counterparts.
Message 4 of 18
tcorey

Chaz, what Matt might have been asking is for more details regarding what you're doing and specifically how you're doing it. It is difficult to troubleshoot your problem if your posting is so vague that we have to guess at what you're asking.

Are you using Grading in Civil 3D? Do you have grading objects that target a specific surface for daylighting? You have raised/lowered that target surface and your grading objects did not update? Is that what you're asking?

OR

You have an og surface and an fg surface. You have drawn where they intersect at 0 design elevation difference. One of the surfaces was raised/lowered and your linework at 0 design elevation is no longer accurate? What command did you use to create those lines? Do you know about TIN Volume Surface, which allows you to display a 0 contour (tie-in line) and will update any time either OG or FG is modified?

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 18
Chaznsc
in reply to: tcorey

My apologies for the vague follow up.....I was mobile.

I have used C3D to create feature lines, and used the CREATE GRADING to daylight my perimeter back to the existing (Target) surface. I went to raise the site 5 feet (just fooling around) but the daylight tie-ins dont update.

Attached is an image of my little plan.......

chaz_

Message 6 of 18
mathewkol

Looking at that image, it looks fine to me.  Tell us what's wrong with it.  I tried making a grading and lowering the daylight surface and everything updated nicely.  Is this what you mean?

Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 18
Chaznsc
in reply to: mathewkol

But if I raise or lower the site those tie ins don't adjust. For the record I used the EDIT SURFACE pull down menu to raise the site elevations.
Message 8 of 18
mathewkol

It would probably be a little less confusing for all if you used the standard terminology.  We're assuming "tie-ins" means your daylight line?  And when you say "raise the site elevations", you mean raise your surface?  If your daylight is not adjusting itself when you raise the surface, I would suspect that possibly you're not raising the surface to which the daylight is associated.  Meaning, the grading object is daylighting to a surface different than the one you raised.

I can't imagine, if that's not the case, why the grading is not updating with a change to the daylight surface.

Can you confirm that your grading object (the one that is not updating) is indeed a "grade to surface" type?

After that, you'll need to attach the file here and make sure you give us plenty of details about which grading object is not doing what when you raise which surface.

Matt Kolberg
Message 9 of 18
Chaznsc

I created a grading object that grades to a target (existing topo surface)
Create the grading which daylights to the target (finished turf ace daylights to existing)
I assumed when I raise the surface, the daylighting would adjust, it does not.

I can upload a file in the morning.
Message 10 of 18
mathewkol

So you have 2 different grading objects daylighting to 2 different surfaces? (Existing and finished)

Anyway, are you certain the surface is actually being raised? Place a spot elevation on the surface and then do the raise. Did the spot elevation change by the required amount?
Matt Kolberg
Message 11 of 18
Chaznsc

I have one grading object that grades to the existing surface. I verified the Surface elevations changed, but the surface doesn't retarget the existing surface.
Message 12 of 18
mathewkol

Something different now. You're saying the "surface" doesn't retarget the existing surface. How about the grading object? Does the daylight feature line update properly, but the grading surface doesn't?
Matt Kolberg
Message 13 of 18
Chaznsc

The grading object (which affects the surface/contours) doesn't update when I raise or lower the surface. By update, I mean retarget the existing site surface.
Message 14 of 18
tcorey

I hate to beat a dead horse, but when you raise/lower "the surface" you mean the OG surface? Daylight should update correclty unless your grading has been exploded.

If you're raising/lowering the FG surface that was derived from the grading, that's not how you do it. You need to raise or lower the feature lines using the elevation editor. The daylighting will update correclty as will the FG surface if you have checked Automatic Surface Creation in the Grading Group properties.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 15 of 18
Chaznsc
in reply to: tcorey

Tim,

Im not I would ever want to lower an existing grade, but for fun I tried it and my grade daylighting doesnt budge.

Message 16 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Not following this thread too well, but if you want to play with fg/eg balance cut and fill and have your tie-in/ daylight update, you have to raise the grading not the surface.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 18
ccoles

Let me explain. The daylight lines are using the FEATURE LINE elevations to determine the daylight extents. From the FEATURE LINE to the target surface, it is doing exactly it's job.

HOWEVER, you're going into the SURFACE DEFINITIONS and asking Civil 3D to lower the SURFACE by X feet. It will take all the elevations used to generate the surface and subtract X feet from them to adjust the surface. This means the surface along the daylight line is now X FEET below the target surface. The SURFACE RAISE/LOWER TOOL does not adjust the elevations of the feature lines, daylight lines, or other objects used to build the surface. Therefor, it will not cause the daylight line to adjust to the desired elevation.

To get the daylight lines to adjust, the elevations of the feature line itself must be adjusted.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 18 of 18
Chaznsc
in reply to: ccoles

Thanks Joe and Ccoles! Makes more sense now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report