Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RADIAL POINT STAKE - the penultimate "straw" with surveyors

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
bcsurvey
1156 Views, 18 Replies

RADIAL POINT STAKE - the penultimate "straw" with surveyors

So in my search to find out how to generate a radial point stake list, with occupied and backsight points (which was oh-so-easy with LDT), I go to the "Help" section for C3D 2010 and search "Reports Manager", click on the first result (Reports) choose "Editing Toolbox Content" in the right-side panel, choose the "Procedure" tab, follow these directions, and wind up completely out in left field.  The attached image is where I end up, and as comprehensive as C3D has been for point display, automating output, and modeling in general, it seems that unless a surveyor goes with the Sinc-Pac software, we're forced to take on things that until now have been confined mostly to IT/CIS.  The absence of anything offering a "C3D-based" solution on this forum leads me to believe that Sinc is doing $well . . .

If I missed any posts that offer a thorough explanation of how a non-IT-trained survey-drafter can be expected to generate something as simple as a radial stake sheet, I'll humbly say that I wasn't thorough enough with my search.  But when you find a post on the subject posted about 6 months ago with 0 replies, you can be somewhat confident in assuming that a solution does not exist . . .

. . . thanks autodesk . . .

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Jeff_M
in reply to: bcsurvey

Why are you editing the Toolbox Content? The Report should already be in the Toolbox, so just dbl click it and the report will run.....make sure IE is the default browser, as the reports don't work well with other browsers (at least this report doesn't work for me in Chrome).

6-13-2011 1-35-23 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 19
sboon

OK - granted that the help files need better key word choices.

Find the report that you want to run in the Toolbox tab and either double click or right click on it.

There should also be an option at the bottom of the hellp page for you to send feedback to Autodesk about this.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 19
bcsurvey

Thank you for the responses.  From what you've shown, I believe I must be missing an important file.  When I double-click on the Radial Stakeout option under Points, under the Reports Manager, I get a prompt for features to include (see attached mssge1.png).  I choose only point groups, then OK.  Then I get an error message for a missing file (see attached error2.png).  I am using the latest IE, and have tried it with compatibility on and off.  Neither works. 

Any ideas?

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 5 of 19
Jeff_M

That looks like the same error reported when IE is not the default browser. 

Try browsing in Windows Explorer to your TEMP folder (enter %TEMP% in the address bar) and see if the file CivilReport.html is there, This is the report created. Double click it and it should open in IE.

You may want to create a shortcut to this file on your desktop for future quick access to it.

EESignature
Message 6 of 19
bcsurvey
in reply to: Jeff_M

I hate you. Robot Mad

Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Mish.  That did it.

So what do I need to do to get it to come up without having to go to the temp folder?  I've checked Internet Options and IE is the default browser, and like I said, I checked with compatibility on and off.  Not that it's a big deal right now, but down the road . . .

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 7 of 19
Jeff_M

Well, well. I just tested 2010 and see that it doesn't recognize IE9 as being the default browser. So the only way I'm aware of to work with this is to make that shortcut I mentioned so you can just dbl click it after you make the report. This is the same thing those who use Firefox have had to do.

IE9 works without a problem in 2012, haven't checked 2011.

EESignature
Message 8 of 19
bcsurvey

Dice!  Thanks for the info.  The shortcut will probably work easier than going through the Prospector, just as with using Macros - you don't have to navigate as far.

I hope Sinc didn't take offense from my original post.  I do find many of the features in the Sinc-Pac very appealing from a survey/cogo standpoint (and no, I was not paid to say this!) Smiley Wink

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 9 of 19
Jeff_M

You will still need to go through Prospector/Reports Manager to run the report. This makes sure to Create new CivilReport.html and CivilReport.xsl files. All XSL reports create the same 2 named files, and the .NET reports also create the same html named file.

EESignature
Message 10 of 19
bcsurvey

Ok, I'm finally getting back to this.  I've run the report and am able to input occupied and backsight points or direction and staked points.  But I'd like the output to be in Angle Right, not Azimuth.  I would think that the default would have been Angle Right, but nothing surprises me these days.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 11 of 19
Jeff_M

This is set with LandXML Reporting settings. For C3D2010, no Stat Menu item was created for this, so.... in WIndows Explorer browse to Program Files (or Program Files (x86) if using a  64 bit OS)\Autodesk\LandXML Reporting 8 and double click the Reporting file (you may want to create a shortcut for this, too). Go to the Settings tab, see the pic for where to set this....

6-14-2011 1-14-43 PM.png

In 2012 these settings can be made inside C3D in the Reports Manager.

EESignature
Message 12 of 19
bcsurvey

Thank you for that.  Since you're on a roll, my next question is, How do I add a column to the results?  I would like the Point Description (Raw) to come right after the point number.  I was able to open up the xml file but it's far beyond Greek to me.  I did see somewhere in the middle a place where the existing columns seem to be defined, but instead of toying around trial-and-error style, I think I'll defer to the expert.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 13 of 19
Jeff_M

Crash!!!! Smiley Happy You've just exceeded my level of expertise. I've muddled around in the XML reports before, but all that resulted in was a huge headache. If I get a chance to look at this over the weekend, I might have a go at it, but no guarantees. 

The biggest problem with editing the reports is that often times the next release changes something so that the edited report won't work with the new version. Which means trying to make the same changes in a different way.

EESignature
Message 14 of 19
sboon

If you can't get what you want from the stock reports then you can also copy the data into Excel.  When the report is created in IE copy all of the text and then paste it into a spreadsheet.  The formatting is usually a pain, but you can usually get what you want with some formulas.

In your case it sounds like you will need to merge data from two reports in order to get the Raw Desc field.  You may want to paste data from the two reports iinto two tabs on the worksheet and then sort and organize from there.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 19
bcsurvey

I have our local CADD Centers contact working on the solution for me.  When I get it, I'll pass it along, but I understand that it may only be a workout for those using 2010.  I asked that they provide information about this when they contact me, so that I (and anybody in my shoes) can be prepared for future changes.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 16 of 19
Sinc

What do you need a radial stakeout report for?  Are your field guys actually still using those for stakeout?  (I haven't used one in some 20+ years...)

Sinc
Message 17 of 19
bcsurvey
in reply to: Sinc

No, we're not using point stake print-outs to do layout or any construction work, at least that's not our typical system.  In those cases, it's almost always an uploaded .cr5 file. 

For the field: from time to time, if there aren't too many points, our CAD guys will pop out a quick print to give to the party chief when we need some major control points reconned (property corners, section corners, and various monumentation). 

For the office: when doing QC, having the ability to extract point stakeouts as they exist in the database for the sake of comparing to the field notes is one way of troubleshooting problems (point inverses disagreeing significantly with previous surveyors' work, bad traverse/boundary closures, etc.)

As for wanting the point descriptions in the report (which apparently is a pain in the rump to get), the point stake reports for QC/office work won't depend so much on the descriptions, as we'd be going primarily by the numbers (and would have the descriptions in the .dwg file anyway) which should be the same as those in the field book.  However, having the descriptions here would verify that points in the field book are the same as those in the database.  But in the field, if we're giving the guys (and/or gals) a print-out, it's because they don't have it in their data collector.  If there are several points in the vicinity of what's being staked to, or if a found point is not very close to where our stakeout put them, there needs to be a description of what we wanted them to find.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 18 of 19

Hi

when i click radial stake point and i type the number in the box (occupied and backsite)is write message (failed to retreive occupied point)

@Jeff_M wrote:

Why are you editing the Toolbox Content? The Report should already be in the Toolbox, so just dbl click it and the report will run.....make sure IE is the default browser, as the reports don't work well with other browsers (at least this report doesn't work for me in Chrome).

6-13-2011 1-35-23 PM.png

@Jeff_M wrote:

6-13-2011 1-35-23 PM.png

Message 19 of 19
nmessina
in reply to: 2961966

We also are receiving the  "(failed to retrieve occupied point)" message.   This is very frustrating!!!!  I know our Data Collectors can do Radial Stake Our reports however, some of our old school surveyors always have the crew occupy and backsight different points for their as-stakes.  Thus it's very important to have Radial Stake Our reporting to work.

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report