Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/W Lines in Sections Not Displaying

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cman24
3359 Views, 8 Replies

R/W Lines in Sections Not Displaying

I have R/W and Utility lines that I am trying to display in my cross-sections.  I add them as Profile Grade Points to the Sample Lines.  This works well in 4 out of 5 of my corridor drawings, however, 1 of the files does not display these lines in the cross-sections.  I already checked turned-off layers and that's not it.  When I check the individual Section View Properties, these alignments (& corresponding profiles) show up in the list, just not on the actual cross-section.  Any ideas as to what I might be missing? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: cman24

A possible solution:

Check the style of the object. On the Display tab, change the View Direction to Section and be sure the lightbulb is on.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
Jay_B

Another possibility is if your EG surface does not go beyond the Right of way alignments they will not display in the section views.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 9
cman24
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked both recommendations, unfortunately, neither one proved to be the problem.  My R/W lines are within the existing surface and the object style is turned on.  I’m really stumped on this one. 

I am thinking this may be related to another problem I have with this corridor file.  Normally, when I create x-section sheets, I x-ref the corridor drawing into a blank file and create the sample lines and x-sections there.  However, when I do that with this particular corridor, the sample lines do not show the proposed corridor, only the existing surface.  And the x-section properties show values of “0.000” for the proposed corridor elevations and offsets.  I am able to create sample lines and show x-sections right in the corridor file, but I just can’t figure out why it won’t let me do it in another file like I normally do.  Maybe my 2 problems are related?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
Jay_B

Cman24,

What version / service pack of C3d are you using?

Providing this info will help to generate more feedback for your issue.

Is your corridor top surface listed under sampled sources in the sample line group properties?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 9
cman24
in reply to: Jay_B

Unfortunately, this project is still in C3D 2010, ver. 4.1.

My Existing Surface, corridor, and Datum surface are all sampled in the Sample Lines and appear in the x-sections.

Message 7 of 9
cman24

I just realized that the R/W & Utility tics that I am looking for on the x-section are all being drawn on top of each other at 0.00, 0.00.  Any idea why that might be?

Message 8 of 9
Jay_B

I have seen the markers show up at 0,0 or in that vicinity even when they appear in section views properly. Not sure why but know not to delete them! Since the markers are working in your other 4 files there could be any number of things that aren't setup quite the same as the troubled file. Interesting that the only markers showing up are all at 0,0 & your corridor elevations & offsets are also only showing 0,0. Try checking your corridor for "waterfalls" in front view etc. to be sure elev.'s don't drop from design to zero. Also be sure the file with the sample lines can find the EG surface, corridor & surfaces for. We attach our align.dwg (align, corr. Eg, fg pfls) & base.dwg survey pts & Eg) to our xs.dwg. Verify right of way alignment ground pfls were in fact sampled from the eg surface etc. Review data references and finally be sure the profile grades tab in SLG properties ifusing the correct alignments & styles.

Jay

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 9
cman24

I was able to track down the error and as expected it was rather simple.  I turned on the alignment labels for the R/W and noticed they did not extend the entire length as they should have.  There were several locations where the alignment was not continuous.  After re-creating the alignments and their surface profile and re-establishing the data shortcuts, everything seems to work as expected. 

Thanks for all the help along the way!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report