Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"One or more objects in this drawing cannot be saved..."

90 REPLIES 90
SOLVED
Message 1 of 91
mcloughlin
133259 Views, 90 Replies

"One or more objects in this drawing cannot be saved..."

When attempting to save drawing, I get:

"One or more objects in this drawing cannot be saved to the specified format.  The operation was not completed and no file was created."

I have purged the drawing, and checked for any unconnected external references (none).  I started Raster Design, just in case, but nothing happened.  The drawing was just created in, and is being saved to, Civil 3D 2014.   

Any suggestions?

Many thanks. 

90 REPLIES 90
Message 2 of 91
tcorey
in reply to: mcloughlin

This shows up when the system cannot save to the specified location. Is that a network drive? Be sure you have full read/write permissions to that location. If you saveas to the local drive it should work for you, no?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 91
mcloughlin
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, TCorey, but this is all in the local drive. 

Message 4 of 91
tcorey

Are you able to Saveas a different file name?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 91
Jay_B

If you haven't cleaned out your Temp folder recently try deleting everything it will allow you to in this folder.

Close Civil 3d first, default temp folder location for Win7 is here:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 91
tcorey
in reply to: Jay_B

That's gotta be the answer, Jay. I swung and missed at this one...

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 91
jfengineering

I have found using a ".save" at the command line (no quotes) will get around this error and allow you to save the file.

Hope this helps.

JF Engineering, PLLC
Civil3D, Current/Win 10 Pro
MSI MPG X570/AMD Ryzen 5 3.6 GHz
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
2x ViewSonic VX2458 24in Monitors
Message 8 of 91

I just ran across this problem again today.  I found the error message started happening with an attempted Autosave.  I believe the root of the error is being created by the UNDO comand.  I moved some points that were referrenced into a surface through a point group.  I tried to move the points back to where the were by using the UNDO ("U") command.  The "U" command skipped moving the points back and as I hit "U" more it kept on going back without moving the points.  The error message started showing up after that.

The ".Save" did not actually work and I couldn't save the file - OR - write block out the points to a temp file.  No error message on the attempt to writeblock out the points, it just never created the file.  (This lends more credence to the Points being the problem.)  I went back to the points that didn't move with the undo and selected them and moved them again.  I also ran an audit after the point move.  One of these commands seemed to get the database straightened out and the file works and saves just fine now.

A little late, but hopefully this will save someone else.

JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 9 of 91
john

Came across this issue today (first time in over 20 years I think).

Looked & tried all your solutions but none worked, except 'save to desktop', but file itself could not be saved back to original location or any new temp folder.  I was reluctant to close CAD, so I used the SEND command to email them to myself.  This worked and I was eventually able to close AutoCAD and computer for re-start.  Emailed files were used to over-write originals.

Message 10 of 91
surveys
in reply to: john

Just ran into this with 2014 Civil.  When opening, it said the drawing was created with a more recent version, which I know isn't true because I know the origin.  The first solution was to wblock out the linework and import the page layouts into the new block.  That was still shaky, but it seemed to hold up in the end.  The second/final solution was to Export the drawing to 2010 format.  The exported drawing is working with no errors. 

Message 11 of 91
HHConsult

I just experienced the same issue incl. my Layer Properties on the side were invisible......tried all your suggestions and nothing worked. Did anyone thought of saving it to dxf?

Tested it and it worked. Close all Autodesk programs and then open the dxf file Smiley Happy

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Cheers,

Spoiler

Message 12 of 91

Using the "audit" command fixes this problem. Just select "Yes" when prompted if you want to "Fix any errors detected?"
JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 13 of 91

I started getting this problem today after recently installing 2015.  Tried some of the other suggestions, but the audit command was the only one that worked.  Thank you!

Message 14 of 91
db_17
in reply to: DanielBurns3250

I just had this problem today. I noticed that the typical running files were left in the location the file resides at (after closing acad session). I deleted the "filename".dwl files (while acad is closed) and it solved my problem. i also ran the typical audit/purge etc before the delete.

Hope this helps someone else. clearly, something got hung up on the server/network/program or something...

Message 15 of 91
ehaberman
in reply to: db_17

I suddenly started gertting this error as well. After some experimenting I found that it happenned in every drawing in a specific project folder and not drawings in other folders. It turns out that somehow something in my project became read only. I went through each folder in Windows Explorer and right clicked - clicked Properties and unchecked the box that said read only and it seems to have solved my problem.

Message 16 of 91
pdap

This worked for me, saved .dwg to my C drive, then saved again to the network drive.

Message 17 of 91
cromo23
in reply to: jfengineering

Same issues, tried all these, saved to desktop, audit, purge and then save back to network, it was a large job which doesn't help 38Mb also
Message 18 of 91
bargmeyer
in reply to: cromo23

I am having this issue with drawings that are "Created with a newer version of AutoCAD...".  Opening the drawing in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017 seems to work where C3D 2016 does not.  I tried all of the other suggested fixes and they did not work.

Alex

Message 19 of 91
jfengineering
in reply to: bargmeyer

Unfortunately it is my understanding that saving or even opening a C3D 2016 project in 2017 will make the file unreadable in anything but C3D 2017.  There are other threads that I have read that indicate there is a way you can work around this, but not directly saving back down.  (export to XML, etc)  I have not upgraded to 2017 because I have other consultants that I work with that are on older versions and I don't want any issues fowling up my project timelines right now.

JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 20 of 91

Our customers unfortunatelly confirm exactly the same behaviour in C3D 2016, when DWG was saved in C3D 2017. Audit sometimes help but just temporary... 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report