Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"object was of the wrong type" when trying to add structure to the profile

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3686 Views, 11 Replies

"object was of the wrong type" when trying to add structure to the profile

We are switching over to C3D 2010 from C3D 2008 and I am having an issue in pipe networks. Whenever I try to add a structure (manhole) to the profile I get the "object was of the wrong type. All objects in the pickfirst set were filtered out, please select again." error and it won't draw it in the profile. I have never had this issue with C3D 2008. It seems as though all the structure styles in the profile view for all my structures have defaulted to some kind of apron endwall. See attached screen capture. I have tried assigning blocks to insert with no luck. I have even tried changing the path of the catalog to C3D 2008's catalog and it at least gave me the correct preview of it under the structure style, bit it still would not let me insert it into the profile.

Has anybody ran across this?? What is the issue?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you ever figure this problem out? I'm having the same issue.

Jacob
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Guys:

On the top menu bar, go pipes > Draw Parts in Profile View.

Then use the "s" option to select parts or just hit enter to put the whole network in profile view.

Sometimes it just doesnt like the network on top of alignments or linework even. I use this now, and it works 100% of the time.

Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

It doesn't seem to matter how I add the parts, whether I right click on the part and click on "Add to profile view" or go to Pipes > Draw Parts in Profile View or even go to the Profile View Properties and check the boxes to add the parts. They still are not showing up and I get the same message "Object was of the wrong type....etc". The only solution I have found for this is to delete the part and create a new one which is a big pain when you have already designed your system. Please reply if you know a simpler solution to this problem.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Save file, purge file, audit file twice or three times, save file, close autocad completely.

Open file, audit file, save file.

Been a few errors I've corrected that way.

I call the method 'Punch and refresh' 😛

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I think I have figured it out....The parts were not referencing a surface.....as soon as I referenced a surface for each part they started showing up in my profile views....

I think it is stupid that they have to be referencing a surface but apparently that was the problem....

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

That makes sense actually...can't tell you what elevation it is if you havent given it a surface. It should default to a surface if you had one in the file.

Message 8 of 12
klugb

We just switched from 2009 to 2011 and just noticed this message also. I swear it was not there when doing my testing.

If I grip (ONE) object and RT-Click "draw parts..."  I get:

1 object was of the wrong type.
All objects in the pickfirst set were filtered out, please select again.

If I grip (MULTIPLE) objects and RT-Click "draw parts..."  I get:

Too many objects in the pickfirst set, please select again.

It WILL(for us) add the pipes to the profile view just fine, but is disturbing seeing the messages.

Changing pickfirst setting does not work.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I really don't think it makes much since that you have to reference a surface.  why wouldnt you be able to manually set rim elevations that work with your surface and still see the parts on the profile view?

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

The rims automatically adjust when the surface changes, and thus are tied to the surface.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

No, I understand completely the functionality of referencing a surface and most of the time I do. I just don't think that you should be forced to reference a surface if you don't want to. Like if you were going to set a manhole at an exact elevation for benchmark purposes. I know that you can set a reference surface and tell it not to dynamicly update with the surface and set your own elevation but why can't you just set an elevation without referencing a surface at all?

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

You can actually. I just set up a pipe network for a project very similarly.

The wierd thing is, you have to reference a surface first, then go back and take it out as the reference. Same with an alignment (though you have to edit the label style not to show stationing)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report