Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"AS BUILT" cross sections

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
MKH-VB
1402 Views, 11 Replies

"AS BUILT" cross sections

surveyors have gone out an re-surveyed cross sections along a newly constructed road. I am wanting to compare these new cross sections to the ones that were included in the design plans.  in other words....put the new cross sections lines right on top of the design ones for comparison.  How would a guy do this? ANy help will be greatly appreciate.

MKH

mkh
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jay_B
in reply to: MKH-VB

One way to do it would be:

Create a surface of the As Built X sections, in Sample Line Group Properties, add the As Built Surface to the "sampled sources", then display them in section views.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 12
MKH-VB
in reply to: Jay_B

I need to revisit this situation.  My surveyor did not cross section close enough together to be able to model the topo. Is there way I can manually draw a sample line from node to node in the plan view, and then apply it to a cross section? Thanks again

mkh
Message 4 of 12
Jay_B

Do you have a Corridor, Sample Lines and Section Views for the newly constructed road?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 12
MKH-VB

yes. I did it the way you mentioned above, but there is too much distance between cross sections to model it. I need to be able to just draw a sample line from node to node. and then apply it to the xs
mkh
Message 6 of 12
Jay_B

If the as built survey is incomplete, then your options are very limited for any meaningful comparison to the design.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 12
MKH-VB

I wouldn't say it is incomplete. We just wanted to randomly check some cross sections. The sections are far enough apart that a model would not be accurate. They took 30 shots at sta 2+00, I just thought I could connect those shots, and then apply it to a section. You never know till you ask!  🙂 I appreciate the replies.

mkh
Message 8 of 12
Jay_B

I have some ideas, but all are based on assumptions, without seeing a picture of the As built survey data, this is my best assumption.

If you have random station full x sections, which don't match up with the design sample line increment, then:

Create a surface of the as built surface, as-is, then create a new Sample Line Group, creating sample lines only at these As Built Sections & not the twilight zones in between as built xsec's.

Sample the following:

EG Surface

Corridor

Corridor Surfaces

As Built Surface

Create a new Section View Group of only the as built vs. design comparison stations.

Done.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 12
wfberry

I am assuming you have it in a data file. (Data Collector)

Perhaps using the CREATE PROFILE FROM FILE .

Using these profiles drawn in a new file you could xref them into your main file and just manually drag the xref under each one of your cross sections to see how that compare.

Of course you need to have the Hor and Ver set the same.

Bill

Message 10 of 12
andrewpuller3811

I have not used it personally, but you could try Section Maker from Civil Survey Solutions.

It looks like it does something similar to what you want.

http://civilsurveysolutions.com.au/component/content/article/57-evaluations/595-section-maker.html

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 11 of 12
magid.rahimy

Hello. You have few points for topo. Well, simple: Add the points you lack to the collection of points yourself. Extract its coordinates from the plan and internalize their height. Then export their coordinates. Now your points are a complete topo. You can overlay sections by creating different surfaces in civil3d.

Message 12 of 12
Neilw_05

Jay B has the right idea. Either adjust your design sample lines to match the as built survey cross section lines OR copy the As Built survey cross sections to the nearest design sample line locations and project them onto your cross sections. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report