Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickCalc Variables Entry

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mcloughlin
462 Views, 4 Replies

QuickCalc Variables Entry

As surveyors, we often have to calculate the acreage of a sketched polyline.  Of course, Civil 3D 2014 only does this in square feet, which we must then convert. We can do this by going to Properties>QuickCalc>Units Conversion, but the QuickCalc defaults each time to metric, so we must re-enter square feet to acres each bloody time, which, being US citizens, is tiresome.  

For example, as shown in the green-highlighted portions of the appended image, I hope to convert the entered square footage, 145552.1248, to the equivalent acreage. However, naturally, Units Conversion opens as always to metric.

In hopes of speeding things up, I went to the "Variables" section below and created a litte function, calling it "Acres" and tried to write the function as /43560, hoping that by clicking on it, I could divide the entered square footage and obtain an acreage.  

No joy. Clicking on the "Acres" only replaces the entered square footage with the function "/43560."  

This I take to mean that my syntax is in error.  Can anyone give me the correct syntax for conversion of square feet to acreage in the QuickCalc app?  Or, alternatively, to have the app default to square feet and acres rather than metric units in its Units Conversion section, so we don't have to re-specify each time?

Thanks!

QuickCalc 18 Jul 2014.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jay_B
in reply to: mcloughlin

Another option is to place Mtext using Fields with a conversion factor to acres.

MTEXT command > place mtext box on screen >Insert panel of text editor ribbon tab > Field > click "object type" (green select icon) > Select Polyline to list Area for > Set the "Property" to Area > Click "Additional Format" button > Conversion Factor input 1/43560 for acres conversion > OK > OK.

Then Mtext will be placed on shape reporting the Area in Acres.

Converting polylines to parcels & using parcel labels also works well depending what your doing.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 5
caddie99

I used c3d2012  but You can create a line label for the area of a polyline with any units you want

see my label below

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 5
AllenJessup

I don't know what to do with the calculator but see <this> post for some alternatives.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
AllenJessup

Whoops. I was beaten to it. It does work for just a quick check.

You could also create a Line Label Style containing [General Overall Area] and set the units to acres.

pla.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report