Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickCalc from Properties locks up AutoCAD

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
coopdetat
10767 Views, 11 Replies

QuickCalc from Properties locks up AutoCAD

Every time I click on the calculator icon in any field in the properties window (start quickcalc) my AutoCAD locks up. There is no problem using [control+8] to open and close quickcalc; however, if quickcalc is open and I click on the calculator icon in the properties window the quickcalc window disappears and AutoCAD locks up. If quickcalc is not open and I click on the calculator icon in the properties window AutoCAD locks up.

I can log off my user session which forces AutoCAD to close after offering to save my work and I can regain control without losing my work by rebooting the computer or terminating the process.

Does anyone know how to make quickcalc work or to disable the icons in the properties window?

Dell Precision T5400

Intel Xeon X5460 Quad Core @ 3.16GHz

8.00 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 4600

Windows 7 Professional - Service Pack 1

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
coopdetat
in reply to: coopdetat

Update...

You can close the unseen and useless quickcalc window using [Alt+F4] which returns control of AutoCAD; however, you need to be sure that AutoCAD is the active (albeit locked up) application since [Alt_F4] will close the current application including your windows session.  You will need to approve closing the windows session so it can be cancelled.  Other apps, probably not.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
Message 3 of 12
coopdetat

Update and Solution:

I found an old Cadalyst tip about unseen Windows and thought maybe that's what I had here even though using the hotkey for Quickcalc by itself would bring it up on screen.

The author said he accidentally discovered a key sequence, [Alt+Shift+Spacebar], that opens the current window size and placement menu (Restore/Maximize/Minimize/Move/etc.). I tried that. The only options available were Move and Close. The menu popped up at the far left edge of my left monitor too. I picked Move but there was nothing to move. I got the idea I should select move and press the right arrow key on the keyboard. After 2 or 3 seconds of holding the right arrow key down the missing window began crawling onto the screen. I have absolutely no idea what sent these windows so far off of the visible displays but this is how I got them back.

The only clue to which way to go with the arrow keys is the position of that little pop-up menu brought up by [Alt+Shift+Spacebar].  The two different Windows lost this way were: "Annotation Object Scale" and "Quickcalc". The only missing part of the puzzle is how they got out there in the first place.

I hope this helps somebody avoid wasting time with this issue in the future.

Message 4 of 12
AllenJessup

If you drill down in your NView Properties menu you should find an option to prevent windows from opening off screen. This seems to work for me.

NVP.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
troma

This menu will pop up from the key sequence Alt+Space

I remember using it on someone's Win 95 machine when the resolution had been messed up so all the windows had their top end off screen.

I just tested your way (adding the Shift button in) and it works too.  Doesn't seem to make a differece with or without.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 12
rstakem

Wow... I know this is from a while ago, but thank you so much for figuring this out!!!!! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was going on!  KUDOS TO YOU!

Message 7 of 12
talifuss

thank you!!!
Message 8 of 12
dwayne

YOU SAVED MY LIFE
Message 9 of 12
Rickquin1965

This has saved me a tremendous amount of time!! I only wish I had found your post sooner! Thank you!

Message 10 of 12
qthyfault1

I've been missing this window for months now. I'm glad I came across your post!

Message 11 of 12
Sothirak-eng

work perfectly on my autocad 2014. 

Message 12 of 12
j.williamsGXBAY

Gotta be a glitch in AutoCAD - nobody in my office could figure it out (an office of engineers, drafters, and survey techs. But it was exactly as described: clicked moved and held down the right arrow for a few seconds and the screen magically rolled over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report