AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
boris.yordanov11
Message 1 of 19 (1,756 Views)
Accepted Solution

Quick profile with Civil 3D 2012

1756 Views, 18 Replies
03-26-2013 12:42 AM

I searched around the forum but didn't find anything that can help me. Probably because i have a very simple problem. I'm new to the Autodesk product, i'm still studying and unfortunately the course in Autocad was unadequate.

But about my specific problem - we have to draw a railway line. Which i did, but now we have to crate the longitudinal profile. I know i can do it with Civil 3D with the quick profile command, i also read abou ProfLT (but haven't tried it out).

I found this guide - http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-8A36E662-16A7-417F-BB41-7E7AE1E...

It only has 6 steps but that's just enough to mess things up, because my problem occurs at step 2 - In the drawing, select a line, polyline, lot line, feature line, or survey figure.

I get a prompt to select a polyline, and i do. And that's it. I get no dialogue box or error or anything. The command just ends. So i think my drawing is incorrect. To draw the railway line we were told to do it with all the elevations at 0. For the profile i returned all the elevation and copied my polyline from the drawing with 0 Z coordinates.

Now everything has a certain elevation. I just really don't know what i'm doing so any help would be appreciated. Thank you 

Edit:

If i don't select a polyline and instead use points it still doesn't work.

Distinguished Contributor
prokopchuk
Message 2 of 19 (1,735 Views)

Re: Quick profile with Civil 3D 2012

03-26-2013 02:22 AM in reply to: boris.yordanov11

1. Create TIN Surface

2. Add Contour Data to a Surface

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/empty_concept_432.htm,topicNumber=CU...

3. Quick profile

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 3 of 19 (1,723 Views)

03-26-2013 04:50 AM in reply to: boris.yordanov11

In looking at this are you sure you want to create a "Quick Profile"?

A Quick Profile creates a Temporary profile view and is not saved with the drawing.

More of a visual design tool.

Capture.JPG

It seems like you may want to "Create Surface Profile" in which case you  need to create a Civil 3d centerline alignment for if you haven't already. This Profile can then be shown in a profile view below the plan view.

Hope this helps.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Contributor
boris.yordanov11
Message 4 of 19 (1,705 Views)

03-26-2013 06:13 AM in reply to: Jay_B

Both of you are right. I did your three steps and i've attached the results(which didn't work as well).

Jay_B you're right - quick profile won't do the job, but ProfLT definetly will. Have you worked with it or do you know an alternative?

I'm following this tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYBsmwcP1c but i don't know how to create the .coo file needed (check minute 1:40)

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 5 of 19 (1,699 Views)

03-26-2013 06:25 AM in reply to: boris.yordanov11

Personally, I've never heard of a .coo file.  Basically, the steps are:

1. Create a TIN surface
  2. Create an alignment
  3. Create a surface profile along the alignment
  4. Create a Profile View to display the profile.

You will need to edit your styles for profiles and profile views (& alignment?) to get them to look acceptable to your local standards.

Which steps are giving you trouble?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 6 of 19 (1,694 Views)

03-26-2013 06:30 AM in reply to: boris.yordanov11

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the term "ProfLT" being a C3D profile creation option. Where are you finding this term?

Perhaps stands for "Profile Layout Tools"? If so that's the dialog where you create your FG profile after the surface profile and profile view have been created.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Contributor
boris.yordanov11
Message 7 of 19 (1,678 Views)

03-26-2013 08:17 AM in reply to: troma

Here's how i did it the last time:

1 Surfaces-Create Surface-Type:TIN surface-I choose the layer where my polyline is(it’s on DSN-SIT Гари)-I give it a name(I name it TEST)-OK

2 Toolspace-Prospector-surfaces-TEST-Definition-Contours-right click-add

3 I give it a description (TEST1) – there are some fields in this menu but I’m not sure what they’re for(and I think this is when I mess up) so I click OK-I select my polyline-Enter-it draws a yellow line

4 Profile-quick profile-I select my polyline-ok-I pick a point where I want the profile.

I tried your idea to create an alingment and the results is the same(i've attached it). I really think that my drawing isn't correct and that's why it's not working. Would you try it out for yourself?

My main concern is though i do have a Z coordinate on my polyline, i think it's the same along its full lenght so when i crate a profile - it's straight line because there isn't a change in elevation.

@ Jay_B it's an external program - http://www.topolt.com/en/products/proflt.html

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 8 of 19 (1,672 Views)

03-26-2013 08:51 AM in reply to: boris.yordanov11

Do you have lots of contours or just one?  If it's only one, you will have a flat surface.

If there's lots, have a read of this for creating the surface:

http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/adding-contours-to-a-surface-youre-doing-it-wrong/

Contributor
boris.yordanov11
Message 9 of 19 (1,634 Views)

03-27-2013 09:54 AM in reply to: troma

I made the profile - of course it turned out to be extremely simple. With you help and a couple of tutorial videos i managed to do it. One problem though - the profile is of the surface on which my road will be. On the top line of the profile i need to draw the road itself. Beneath the whole thing there needs to be a table with some data - lengths, angles, etc (take a look at the attachment for it. I search a lot but didn't find any ideas where to get a template for the table or how fo get it filled out.

The end results needs to look something like this(this is done by hand and with a lot of calculator work):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hyfm9k&s=6

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 10 of 19 (1,629 Views)

03-27-2013 09:57 AM in reply to: boris.yordanov11

Those are called Profile Data Bands.  It can take some time to set up to look the way you want it, but once you do you can save the setup for all future projects.  Hopefully that can point you in the right direction, anyway!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.