AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 11 of 27 (362 Views)

Re: Question about converting 2D Plan to 3D Data

12-19-2012 05:13 AM in reply to: msotiri

I think Joe is getting to the heart of our questions. What you need to do may be possible depending on what is in the drawing. So far all we know is that the drawing is 2D and that Civil 3D commands don't work. That's not enough information to offer a specific method of getting it in a form C3D can work with. It's like asking a mechanic to tell you how to fix your car without letting them look at it.

What we need to know is what IS in the drawing. As Joe mentioned; some key items are Points and what they are composed of, Contours and what type of polyline they are and if they are at elevation or just labeled. Also are there any existing Alignments and Profiles and what they are composed of.

The ideal would be if you can post the drawing or a portion of it. If that isn't possible. A listing of each item would help. Once we know what we're dealing with we can post some more substantial suggestions.

msotiri
Message 12 of 27 (356 Views)

12-19-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks guys for your replies. I really appriciate all of them!  I am so happy that I found a way to discuss and share our experiences. By the way, Allen, I liked very much your comparison with the car.

For the moment I have a small project in process. I am waiting for the final plan from the surveyor. Maybe this time the surveyor will give me that as I want, to open directly in the program.

But this has always been  a problem for me and I thought to discuss with you in advance. But now I see, that you need the file (Car as Allen said) to have a Deep Look on It, and you are right.

Thanks a lot!

I will attach it as soon as possible!

bye, bye.....

have anice day

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 13 of 27 (350 Views)

12-19-2012 06:13 AM in reply to: msotiri

Thank you for letting us know the status of this. When you want to continue just add to this post. Most of us have it set so we are notified by email when a post is added to a thread we're participating in.

msotiri
Message 14 of 27 (312 Views)

01-11-2013 09:20 AM in reply to: AllenJessup
Hi guys.
Finally I have the file dwg, that the topographer sent me. The same problem. I tried to apply the commands and the message is there is no surface. I need your help as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 15 of 27 (303 Views)

01-11-2013 10:03 AM in reply to: msotiri

You have what appears to be good information in this file. There are AutoCAD points at elevation and polylines at elevation. You can make a surface from both of those elements and start your design from there.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 16 of 27 (298 Views)

01-11-2013 10:17 AM in reply to: msotiri

Yes. As Peter said; it looks like you have a usable drawing there. Whatever software the topographer used, could be Civil or Land Desktop (or other), everything is exploded into simple AutoCAD entities. There is no existing Civil 3D Surface. You'll have to create it from the points and 3D polylines.

It looks like there are a couple of blown shots in the drawing. Tip it up in to 3D and you'll see the areas I noticed. Either don't use that date or ask the person who produced it for a corrected file.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 17 of 27 (297 Views)

01-11-2013 10:29 AM in reply to: msotiri

It appears that you have a mix of 3d polylines, ACad points and survey point data in this drawing.  When I orbit the viewpoint I notice right away that some of the 3d polyline elevations don't make sense and that that survey point blocks have all been exploded.  Most of the polyline vertices do not have survey points attached so I don't know how they were created.  Contours have been supplied but it's not clear to me what data was used to create them.

You could use the contours and the points to recreate the surface, but that is not really the ideal solution.  I would recommend that you go back to the surveyor and insist that he provide some answers to:

• What is the source of the point grid on the layer "Level 52"
  • What is the source of the 3d polylines.  If they are surveyed then where are the survey points for these locations.
  • What data was used to build the contours.

PS: A picture is worth a thousand words.Clipboard01.png

msotiri
Message 18 of 27 (277 Views)

01-14-2013 01:06 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen!  Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately,  I am still confused about It. In fact that was my question how to create surface when everything is exploded into simple entities.

What I have learned are two ways:

To copy this entities by using ctrl +C and paste to original coordinate, but it doesn't work.

The other way is:

Import points from the source file format csv. In this way I call points and I can make everything with that, edit the points.

And after that I know to create the surface.

I see that the points in the drawing have three datas x, y,z, and polylines, contours also, but how can I use them All to create the surface.

Please, I really need your help. Maybe, you can sent me a link (the video) to illustrate It.

I have found many links in youtube, but none of them as an example like that.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 19 of 27 (272 Views)

01-14-2013 05:06 AM in reply to: msotiri

First create a  new surface blank surface to contain the data. On the Prospector Tab of the Toolspace, expand the Surface and the Definition until you see Drawing Objects. Right click on Drawing Objects and select Add. In the Add Points From Drawing Objects dialog box, you can select the type of entity you want to add. Below you will see it with the option to add points.

TG1.PNG

You can also add other types of drawing entities.

TG2.PNG

Right click on Breaklines to add the 3D Polylines as breaklines.

TG3.PNG

Hope this helps.

BTW As I and others have mentioned. There are some problems with the drawing that will have to be addressed before you can create a usable Surface.

msotiri
Message 20 of 27 (256 Views)

Re: Question about Cad civil 3D

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: rkmcswain
What I always have is: I have all what the surveyor does, but he gives his job in format dwg. 2D. I mean, when I open this file by cad civil 3D, and begin to apply the command of cad civil 3D, these command doesn't work. All his job is exported in this format. We don't work with the same program, and I don't work with the same surveyor. Yes, I ask them to give the points in the format file. csv, but they told me that I can do it by myself. They consider that easy, but they didn't give that to me. I have read somewhere that one way is to apply this command. select the drawing in format 2D,copy and? paste to original coordinate. I have done in this way, but It doesn't work.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.