Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantities

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
djocwf54
597 Views, 12 Replies

Quantities

I have a huge dwg and I need to know the total lengths of say all the water lines in the drawing. Is there a way to get the total lengths of lines (not all connected) in a dwg. Just thought id ask. Maybe its a wishful thinking kind of day. Hey its not even Friday. Thanks                                    dj

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
gjrcmb
in reply to: djocwf54

Sounds like you need to check total length lisp routines to see if they provide the functionality you are looking for.  Do a search on tlen.lsp or see the following forum discussion:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/New-tlen-lsp-for-polylines/td-p/27941...

If you use the version posted by Kent1Cooper, you will need to add (vl-load-com) to the beginning of the application, say on the second line.  Haven't really tested it out myself in detail.

Message 3 of 13
thepworth

check this out: Totlen.lisp from Rob Herr, circa 2000:

Message 4 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: thepworth

note - works on lines/polylines versus AEC objects.

Message 5 of 13
BrianHailey

Use the Quantity Takeoff tools. Somewhere on the Analysis tab. Load a payitem file and then assign an appropriate pay item to your pipes (assuming they are just lines, arc, or polylines). Run the Takeoff command and it will total them all for you. If you are using pipe networks, you can assign a pay item to your parts list and then as you are creating your pipes, it will automatically assign the pay item to the pipes.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: BrianHailey

yes, but...  the qto tools are based on AD's relationship with Florida DOT and geared more to roads & site work versus watermain...  I haven't tried pipe networks since they don't fit in with my typical workflow here - the totlen is quick'n'dirty 🙂

Message 7 of 13
sboon

The qto calculator doesn't really care what objects you assign to a pay item.  If you select all of the lines on the watermain layer and assign them to a pay item in the qto manager that has EACH as a unit type, then it will report the number of objects.  If you assign the same objects to a pay item that has LNFT then you'll get the total length.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: sboon

fair - just more than I need - C3D still falls short for pressure pipe systems, which is where our work is currently focused... 😞

Message 9 of 13
Joe-Bouza

DATAEXTRACTION wizard for native objects. It is OOTB can do all type of math operation, can quantify across many drawings, many objects......

I don'nt understand why this very helpful OOTB tool by autodesk gets overlooked?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
BrianHailey

The tool isn't based on DOT at all. The sample pay item file is but it's so simple to create your own. You could easily create a new one for each job if needed.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: BrianHailey

When Peter Funk introduced it at one of is 2008 AU classes he stated that it is a specific instance of user damand - directly from Florida DOT as a strategic account..., not that it hasn't been modified to be more general since, but it originally came from FDOT's pay item list.

Message 12 of 13
djocwf54
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks so for all the replies

I used the dataextraction and it worked great

I just love how much I can get on here and yall help

much appreciated

if i get time i might try Totlen.lisp

thanks

dj

Message 13 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Thank you.

Feel free to ask questions regarding DE, If I can help I will

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report