Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QTO Pay Item Files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
graf_p
1301 Views, 7 Replies

QTO Pay Item Files

Is it possible to create a pay item file that has more the 3 items and have Civil 3d 2013 Generate a Report with all Items (columns) listed?

I have a .csv pay item file that is formatted as followed:

ITEM #,ITEM DESCRIPTION,UNIT,ITEM ID,
1.1,2 WAY 6' W X 13 L X 6'-6 IN H (INSIDE DIMENSIONS) MANHOLE,EACH,UA15

1.101,ANODE MAGNESIUM - 17 LB,EACH,UA17
1.102,GROUND BUS - SOFT DRAWN 4/0 AWG 19 STR COPPER - 153' COIL,LNFT,UA21

The problem I have is that I cannot get Civil 3d to generate a report with the last item "ITEM ID" listed.

I only get the ITEM # , ITEM DESCRIPTION,  UNIT, QTY. It leaves off the "ITEM ID" column

If you take a look at the following tutorial is appears that this is possible.

http://www.cadalyst.com/aec/autocad-civil-3d-and-pay-items-13539

Take a look at the Pay Item list that is based on a TXDOT implementation listed in this article. Its has 10 items listed.

Thanks,

Paul

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
graf_p
in reply to: graf_p

Here is a strange email I received from Autodesk regarding my question about pay item files.

"Thank you for contacting Autodesk Technical Support. Your question posed to the forums regarding QTO Pay Item Files has been automatically escalated to a Support Request Case due to lack of any response on the forums. Normally, when this happens we offer support for the question at hand.

So you are aware, as part of Subscription Support we address questions about Autodesk product installation, configuration, and troubleshooting only. This Web Support does not include product training, code debugging, consultation, customization, or support for third-party hardware, operating systems, networks, or peripherals.

Unfortunately, this question falls directly under customization. I recommend trying to contact the folks at cadalyst. More specifically the author of the article Mr. Zimmerman. Another option is to ask your reseller [those who supply your CAD software] about help with this customization.

Per process, because this is for unsupported customization, I will be closing this support request now."

At least they could of said they had no idea...Now I feel like I have been kicked to the curb.

Paul

Message 3 of 8
fcernst

After looking into QTO this past summer where I discovered several confirmed defects, I found that no one at on the Civil 3D staff really knows how the C3D implmentation of QTO is suppose to work anymore.

This includes our first tier subscription support,  and Dave Simeone, the Senior Product Manager.

It appears unfortunatley the person responsible for QTO has left the company:

Thomas M. Inzinga

From AU2009:

..About the Speaker: Thomas is a software architect for the Autodesk AEC Division. With 25 years of experience, he is an expert in the design, development, and implementation of civil-engineering applications. For the past 11 years, Tom has helped architect Civil 3D into the leading AutoCAD-based civil engineering application. He has degrees in mapping, and civil engineering and surveying. A recent project at Autodesk has been the implementation of the quantity take-off feature within AutoCAD Civil 3D...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 8
Cadguru42

As fcernst said, there are many flaws with QTO. It doesn't calculate volumes correctly, only does 2d areas instead of 3d areas, etc. QTO is pretty much useless unless you want to get simple 2d distances, counts, and 2d areas. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 8
graf_p

For the most part all I am trying to use QTO manager is for item counts.

If I was to use the pay item file "Getting Srarted.csv" that comes with Civil 3d how do I create a report that list any of the following items: Bid_Dec, Pay_Dec, Pay Item Type, FP_YR....etc that are defined in the "out of the box" pay item list?

All I can get Civil 3d to report is Pay Item ID, Description, Quantity, & Unit.

Message 6 of 8
fcernst

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 8
graf_p
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks Fred,

That answers my question. Where did you find this info? I wish I understood this better. What is the point of using the example pay item list with extra fields that Civil 3d can not report?

Paul

Message 8 of 8
m3black

At first I wondered about the extra fields also. Now when I copy the parts network list into excel, I put it in one of the columns that isn't used by Civil 3D, and make a simplified description that will show up in the QTO Manager (600mm Circular Concrete Pipe Metric CL 140-D shows up as 600mm CONC CL 140-D). I will use unused columns just to organize and keep track of items within the excel file. The extra columns are also good for notes, such as any formulas that are used. 

But you're right, it would be nice if they were brought into the QTO Manger.. would make organizing/checking even easier.

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report