Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish command and overwriting PDF files?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
d_hadley
1777 Views, 9 Replies

Publish command and overwriting PDF files?

With Autocad 2013 we have found an unconsistant problem with overwriting PDF files with same name.  This only happens with publish command (ie, can just plot 1 layout to pdf and overwrite no problem).  The funny thing is, it doesn't happen all the time - just 50% of the files (and yes, the file is not in use when attempting to overwrite).   Any thoughts? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.mckenzie
in reply to: d_hadley

Under Plotter configuration for PDF plotters there is a prompt when overwriting existing files checkbox.

We have multiple Adobe pdf plotters / Setups

This setting is not the same in all of them but they probably should be.

Is it always the same PDF plotter causing the varied results?

Is it always the same user overwriting the files?

Is it always the same file(s) that overwrite?

Message 3 of 10

And lastly,

is it always the same computer that is the culprit? Always prompting or always overwriting or just doing whatever it feels like doing.

Actually,

Even thought it appears to be doing whatever it feels like doing, It doesnt feel and actually follows logic, belive it or not. LOL

Message 4 of 10
d_hadley
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Where are u looking on plotter configurations settings?   This is using the autocad DWG to PDF.   As said, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't (error is 'open  in another program') - its all computers, all random, and as mentioned, if I just use the plot command for 1 sheet, it overwrites fine.

Message 5 of 10
john.mckenzie

Under options there is a plot and publish tab.

There is a default plotter.

DWG to PDF does not seem to have a setting for asking before overwriting file.

ADOBE PDF does have a check box for asking about file overwrite.

that was why I asked who what when and where.

Message 6 of 10
d_hadley

yeah, PDF exchange is the only other option we have.  Our company is very specific about which add-on software it allows.

Message 7 of 10

Check page setup manager (on layout tab in dwg) for the ones that overwrite automatically. See what the plotter is.

Check again for the ones that prompt for a filename before overwrite.

I bet they are not all using DWGtoPDF.pc3

Message 8 of 10

If you are publishing from a list that you have picked of dwgs, then the page setrup is controlling the game for each plot.

Message 9 of 10
d_hadley

nope, all the same dwg to pdf, same settings every page (which makes sense as I started with one layout and just copied).   Definitely some quirk related directly to publish command.  Will try to pay attention for next one I plot with no problem and then compare to that.

Message 10 of 10
john.mckenzie

WOW,

maybe all this time my computer has been doing EXCATLY what it feels like doing, all the time letting me FEEL like I am in control.

I have a few minutes, I will scratch my head some more on this one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report