Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed Surface vs. Existing Surface Plot settings?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
GreeneSWCD
457 Views, 11 Replies

Proposed Surface vs. Existing Surface Plot settings?

Hey Guys,

I'd like to plot both my final proposed surface and my existing ground in my planview.  I'd like for my existing ground to be grayed out with my proposed being sharper and more noticeable.  What surface style lineweight and colors do you guys like for doing this?  If you could share your settings, I'd love to experiment with them.  Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
wfberry
in reply to: GreeneSWCD

Please note if using .ctb file for plotting.  Your colors and my colors are what we set up.  You may need to experiment, it is not that difficult.

Bill

Message 3 of 12
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: wfberry

Nope, not difficult at all to experiment. I was just wondering if there was some sort of industry standard in this regard?
Message 4 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

We use .ctb plot styles.  Our EG is color 252 with hidden linetypes.  Our FG are color 3, continuous for minor and color 5, continuous for major.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 12
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

thanks. I'll try it.
Message 6 of 12
wfberry

Perhaps I am missing something here, but without lineweight and screening I don't see how that will help.  Of course, I am talking about printing in B/W and not in color.

Bill

Message 7 of 12
GreeneSWCD

I'm a rookie. 😉 What's "screening?"
Message 8 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Color 252 is already screened and our lineweights are set in our ctb. Color 3 being lighter weight than 5.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 9 of 12
neilyj666

Just have two surface styles - one for existing and one for proposed

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: neilyj666

Given... I think since the OP is a noob, they were looking for more specifics. Personally, I think that's driven by company standards. If they're just starting out with C3D, the reseller should be of great help as well as looking at other plans sets from area agencies.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 11 of 12
doni49

@GreeneSWCD wrote:
I'm a rookie. 😉 What's "screening?"

I don't know for sure WHERE the term originated but that's the term old school drafters (myself included) use to refer to the light color (usually gray) commonly used for existing features.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 12 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: doni49

We use it to apply a "transparency" to otherwise solid colors. Prior to being able to set the transparency of a layer, in the ctb file we defined the %screening to accomplish essentially the same thing.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report