Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed Profile is Static !

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
nimadadgar57
626 Views, 14 Replies

Proposed Profile is Static !

Hi

i'm using Civil 3d 2011 & 2012
Existing profile is dynamic but Proposed Profile is Static, When i change the Alignment i must Edit and recalculated
the the Proposed Profile manually , and in a road project when you design the plan and profile of a part of the project, and then your chief ask you to change a small part of plan, you must Shift and move all of Proposed profile manually (because of changes in stations) by changing the station of Proposed profile's PI .
in there a way to make Proposed profile dynamic according to Existing grounde or to shift and move Proposed profile fast  ?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: nimadadgar57

If you really think about that, it makes sense to be static. If you change the alignment geometry and the profile has a low point at station Y+##, how would c3d understand where you now want you low point? Since the newY+## has no relation to the old Y+##. The geometric change may preclude the need for a lowpoint at the new sta Y+##.

A good example of that: in one of my recent jobs we were proposing an access road an location A, running west to east. We profiled it, built the corridor with intersections and realized location A was unsuitable so we moved it to location B, about 200 feet to the south running south to north, and 100 feet longer where the topography was completely different. I could never expect the software or want it to maintain the pgl of location A.

Adjusting the pgl was no big deal, and dragging the alignment (and the intersecting alignments) to the new location kept the corridor definition. So tweaking the pgl for 5 minutes everything updated. I didn't have to change any targets

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 15
mathewkol

I can understand what the OP is looking for. Joe, imagine you have a 1000m alignment complete with a design profile. There is a curve from sta 450 that is 100m long. You edit the radius by an amount. Of course the alignment will be a little shorter or longer depending on the nature of the radius change. At this point, every VPI after station 450 needs to be edited if only slightly.

Except where the radius changed, we would want the design profile to be the same relative to the EG profile. Let's say the radius change lengthened the alignment by 10m. I would have to break the profile at station 450 and move everything after that to the right by 10m and then in the area where the alignment was different, make a new decision about where to place the profile.

I think this would be a great thing to have happen automatically or at least have the option to do this.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mathewkol

I agree that would be helpfull for those type of minor tweaks. But when I put my try-to-think-like-a-software-code-hat on, I cant see how it can be done

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 15
mathewkol

That's why they get paid the big bucks 🙂
Matt Kolberg
Message 6 of 15
nimadadgar57

thank you for your answers 

you explained exactly what i was looking for

your example was 1000 meters bat imagine that your alignment is 10 km, for every small changes in plan your must

shift and move the Proposed  profile in the stations after you change the plan. I change the stations of PVIs to shift and move the Proposed profile after every change in plan. i think this is the fastest way to do that.

thank you again for your time and consideration

Message 7 of 15
mathewkol

"Stretch forward" or "stretch backward" commands should be doable if we can't get a dynamic option.  This would move the profile after a certain station by a user-specified distance.

Matt Kolberg
Message 8 of 15
nimadadgar57

i could not find these commands.

how can i use them and also how can i select multiple PVIs.

i'm using civil 3d 2012

thanks

Message 9 of 15
mathewkol

These are not existing commands, they are on the wishlist.

Matt Kolberg
Message 10 of 15
Joe-Bouza

For the guys getting the big bucks that would be: Stretch.Forward or Stretch.Backwards Smiley Very Happy

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 15
nimadadgar57
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 15
nimadadgar57

i read in a post that you can select and move some PVIs together :

- Select multiple PVI grips using shift+select and move them all appropriately. That's okay for a short distance, but not practical for several miles

but it dos not work 

Message 13 of 15
Jeff_M

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

For the guys getting the big bucks that would be: Stretch.Forward or Stretch.Backwards Smiley Very Happy

Well, until those 'big buck' guys implement it within C3D, SincpacC3D has done this for quite a while now.... http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_StretchProfile.htm It's not dynamic to the alignment change, but makes editing the profile much easier.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 14 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

No offense intended good Sir Smiley Surprised

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 15
wang890

made a .net program for this and use it everyday when designing a long alignment with couple thousand vertical cuves (couple segments divided).

very simple program. like couple lines in .net that's it. moves vpi both ways. yeah don't expect too much this will be a native feature. but with .net we can just finish the job for autodesk. no need to upgrade after 2013 pretty much lol. 2012 superelevation is funky so 2013 is required.

Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report