Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projection gradings create segments on the parent feature line

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Neilw_05
392 Views, 13 Replies

Projection gradings create segments on the parent feature line

I've yet to find a solution to this and now it is really getting to be a problem.

When we apply surface projection gradings to feature lines, we get locked vertices on the featureline wherever the grading transitions from cut to fill. In turn these vertices create segments in the featureline which influence any labels applied to the line. I don't want a bazillion segment labels on my FL. I only want segment labels between the physical vertices and elevation points. Is there a workaround or is an enhancement request in order?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil
I saw this the other day with one of my colleagues. I have seen it before when the FL was dirty; i.e pline doubled back on itsellf but this instance was different. I cleared the grading and the lock point went away. it turned out the adjacent elevation was drasticly different forcing the projection to to dayligh on itself, hence the locked/ split point

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

It's not clear to me if you are suggesting a solution Joe. I believe you'll see this behavior with any grading to a surface target regardless of the adjacent elevations.

If you want to run a test, open a drawing with a surface model and strike a single FL across it in an area with varying relief.

Set the end point elevations such that it varies from cut to fill in several areas along it's length.

Now apply a grading that targets the surface on one side and view the FL in the elevation editor. You will see intermediate elevation points wherever the grading transitions from cut to fill.

Next apply a label to the FL using the Multiple Segment option. You will get labels along each of those segments between the transition points. Now if the FL is a curve you not have any way to label the curve between the end points.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 4 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I guess I misinterperted your original question when I read a "bazillion labels"

I would think that the transition point would be an ideal lable location, but if the fl grade is constant I see your point. you could , and I'm sure your not going to like it, move the daylite fl to another site and it would go away. I know you like your model to be live but how many times would you tweak the FL at that point? If you did re-doing the projection should be that big a killer, no?

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I can do that in land desktop too. Once you explode stuff you no longer can trust the model. Perhaps you've not heard the analogy that Land Desktop is like carving statues in stone and C3D is like molding it in clay.

Never said explode. move to site. yes that peace of grading would require monitoring, but I have yet to see a comprehensive model that would never require the users to keep an eye on certain aspects of it if that is not to your liking than you'll have to 1. live with multple lables 2. manually remove the repugnant ones, 3. have a statice peace that may require re-projecting in the event of a change.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
wfberry

Joe:

Could you please state what "Resistentialism" is supposed to mean?

Bill

Message 7 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

I thought you'ld never ask:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistentialism

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
Neilw_05

How do you move a grading to a different site? As far as I know, gradings are always on the same site as the feature line. If you can come up with a way to apply a grading that doesn't add those segments to the FL then I'm all ears.

As I noted, if the FL is a curve then those segments introduced by the grading make it impossible to label the arc.

I'll add this one to the ever-growing deficiency/wish list.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Re read my response 2.

grip the daylight line RC move to site. the projection "Will" go away and the graded area becomes FL's only

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Neilw_05

Ah, it's just the same as exploding it.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 14
Neilw_05

I guess I spoke too hastily. It is not the same as exploding because it only leaves the daylight line. All the other grading components go away. That can be handy for generating static daylight lines

Nice.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 14
Joe-Bouza

If you say so.  we are typing at the same time 🙂

I think of it as re-ordering.
exploding circumvents the worflow with c3d and can result in unknowns. Moving to site uses c3d to reorganize the surface data, that IMHO is safer

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
Neilw_05

I have to laugh. I now realize that I have been a resistentialist most of my life be because I can't help but get angry at objects for deliberately trying to aggravate me, such as the bolt that drops down into an inaccessible place in the engine compartment of the car.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 14
Joe-Bouza

It is funny how we let these things get to us. The aliens...now they're thos ones getting a kick out of it

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report