Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting survey points into the profile

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
albert
508 Views, 5 Replies

Projecting survey points into the profile

I was out doing construction check on a grassed waterway - I basically took  several shots (Trimble GPS) along the centerline of the grassed waterway and also had couple of cross-sections shots. What I want to do now is to plot those centerline shots into the profile. How to do this in Civil 3D  as oppose to manualy plotting it in the profile. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: albert

Easy as pie.

Click on Profile View > Contextual ribbon > Launch Pad> Project Objects To Profile View > Select the Survey Points you wish to project.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
albert
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks Jay, sweet as a pecan pie my favorite.

Message 4 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

Easy as pie.

Click on Profile View > Contextual ribbon > Launch Pad> Project Objects To Profile View > Select the Survey Points you wish to project.

I don't know what version you're on but when I was doing this exact same thing in C3D2012 a few months ago I ran into an issue.  Newer versions may have addressed this issue -- I haven't tested in 2014.

Click on Profile View > Contextual ribbon > Launch Pad> Project Objects To Profile View > Select the Profile VIew > Select the Survey Points you wish to project.

It seems that the command itself isn't setup to use the PICKFIRST selection (meaning that you've already selected the Profile View) and that after starting the command, you have to select the Profile View again.  But the oddity is that to even see this ribbon, you have to have selected the Profile View.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 6
albert
in reply to: doni49

I am using Civil 3D 2014 and it seems working perfectly fine.

Message 6 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: doni49

doni49 wrote:

I don't know what version you're on but when I was doing this exact same thing in C3D2012 a few months ago I ran into an issue.  Newer versions may have addressed this issue -- I haven't tested in 2014.

Click on Profile View > Contextual ribbon > Launch Pad> Project Objects To Profile View > Select the Profile VIew > Select the Survey Points you wish to project.

It seems that the command itself isn't setup to use the PICKFIRST selection (meaning that you've already selected the Profile View) and that after starting the command, you have to select the Profile View again.  But the oddity is that to even see this ribbon, you have to have selected the Profile View.

Don,

Works the same in 2012 SP3 or 2014 SP2 here for me.

Click on Profile View > Contextual ribbon > Launch Pad> Project Objects To Profile View > Select the Survey Points you wish to project > Press Enter.

I guess I've never found it odd that the Pfl View must be selected to see the Project Objects To Profile command as many Contextual Ribbons present you with commands you won't find on the "main c3d ribbon".

Select an Alignment or Profile or most any c3d object and the Contextual Ribbon appears, since a Profile View is a c3d object it does makes sense.

Another option is to use the PROJECTOBJECTSTOPROF key in command which changes the prompts to:

Select objects to add to profile view > Select a profile view > Project objects to pfl dialog appears > Enter

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report