Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Object in CIVIL 3D

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
S_G_I
1076 Views, 8 Replies

Project Object in CIVIL 3D

Hi all,

I have started to use CIVIL3D 2007 instead of LAND-DESKTOP 3.

(I'm a little old-fashioned..)

My question is:

When I used LDD I created a surface, then drew a polyline and by right-clicking chose "Project object".

This option produced many new points along my polyline which I used for my design.

When I tried this with CIVIL 3D I couldn't find this option.

I can create a quick profile, however, this is not good for me

because I need the data as a collection of points with coordinates & elevation, and not as an image.

Could someone please help me with this?

Is there any way to produce a projection on a surface (from a polyline)?

Or getting some information from the quick profile in the way I need?

Thanks a lot,

S_G_I

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: S_G_I

Use a "Feature Line" for this. There is a command to make a feature line from an object (polyline) and when you do it there is an option to "Assign Elevation" that will add the points on the line where it crosses the surface triangles.

Cheer,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9

I agree with Peter that you should make a feature line from the object but, if you aren't familiar with the interactive nature of the Site in Civil 3D, I would recommend not using feature lines just yet.

The command to assign elevations from a surface to a polyline is found on the Modify tab of the ribbon on the Edit Elevations panel (at least I'm pretty sure it is as I don't have Civil 3D on this computer). I believe it's called, "Elevations from Surface".

Note: If you are using 2012, make sure you do NOT select the polyline prior to running the command as that will result in a fatal error. Instead, run the command and then select the polyline.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 9
peterfunkautodesk

Two things on the last post:

1. You can add the elevations as the feature line is created (option in the create dialog)

2. The pick first issue should have been fixed with SP1 (it works on my machine).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9

He's using 2007.  I can't remember if that PICKFIRST thing was a problem back then.  To the OP, you'd be doing yourself a huge favour if you used 2012 instead of 2007.  I know this may not be possible but it is what it is.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 9

Nope. Still get a fatal error every single time even with the service pack installed. Create a 2d polyline in a drawing that contains a surface (in Civil 3D 2012 with SP1 installed). Select the polyline. Run the command FEATUREELEVSFROMSURF, make sure "Insert intermediate grade break points" is toggled on, select the polyline again (yes, you have to select it because if you don't the command does nothing). Fatal error. Every single time. Every computer I've tested this on has had the same result.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 9
S_G_I
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Thank you very much for your quick answer!

S_G_I

Message 8 of 9
S_G_I
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thank you very much for your quick answer!

And thanks to the others who helped as well.

Have a good day

S_G_I

Message 9 of 9
ornelah

How do I project a 3Dpolyline (already assigned with elevations) into an existing suface. I need to project with 2:1 slope for example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report