Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
258 Views, 10 Replies

Profiles

I'm trying to create a profile of a pipe.  I have elevation data for the pipe and natural ground I've created a surface from the natural ground then I created and alignment.  Next I created a profile when the profile was completed I  got broken lines and spikes for my pipe not a polyline that followed the natural ground.  I'm at a loss as to how I could fix this and I'm very new to AutoCADD I'm a GIS person.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to create a profile of a pipe.  I have elevation data for the pipe and natural ground I've created a surface from the natural ground then I created and alignment.  Next I created a profile when the profile was completed I  got broken lines and spikes for my pipe not a polyline that followed the natural ground.  I'm at a loss as to how I could fix this and I'm very new to AutoCADD I'm a GIS person.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

There are several types of profiles none of which I am aware become broken lines or polylines for that matter. Profiles are objects. Is this a surface profile? you may want to create a Layout profile to establish you pipe profile. Or maybe consider using a pipe network and set the inverts/ slope of the pipe?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Jay_B

Could you post a screen capture showing the Alignment with the natural ground Surface Boundary displayed?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply could you please explain in greater detial what a Layout profile is or what a pipe network and set the inverts/ slope of the pipe.  I'm very new at this.

Message 5 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Yes you are new aren't you 🙂
I still would like to know what you did to get a profile of broken lines?

A layout profile is intended for design and is made up of tangent lines and curve types of your choosing Pipe networks are exactly that; they are objects that represnt pipes and structures. All these items are in the design panel of the ribbon. I could go on and on about these tools but you would get a quicker idea by going through the "Getting Started videos" on the startup screen. if the startup screen has been disabled  you can access it from the help button on the ribbon. View the vids, do some tutorial, and ask questions.

gettingStarted.png

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

profile.jpgAttached is a screen shot.

Message 7 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Interseting. How did you make it?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This is what I did. I added point data that had elevation data. Then created a surface. By going to Surface/Create Surface and following promps. Next I create and Aligment follow the promps. Next I created the surface from the natural ground and the pipe. I could have missed some steps. Thanks for the help.
Message 9 of 11
Joe-Bouza

@Anonymous wrote:
This is what I did. I added point data that had elevation data. Then created a surface. By going to Surface/Create Surface and following promps. Next I create and Aligment follow the promps. Next I created the surface from the natural ground and the pipe. I could have missed some steps. Thanks for the help.

Forgive me for breaking this down

you added point data: by creating points/ point group?

you created a surface: from the point data?

you created an alignment: from the alignment palette?

you created the surface from natural ground and the pipe: you mean a surface profile and what pipe - the alignment?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Sorry for leaving some information out.  I Ialso needed to add an alignment but I thought an alinment was part of craating a profile.  I created a surface from natural ground points.  Then I imported a (which is supposed to be a pipe) point file with elevation data attached and then I used that to create the profile.  (I'm guessing thier is something that I'm not doing right with the pipe points).  I'm open to another way of creating this.  So the end result needs to be an alighment, and a profile of a pipe.

Message 11 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Now your image is making sense. You imported rim an invert data to create the pipe profile. that explains the jigs and jags. My concern though is that you rim data does not jive with your natural ground data or those represent a finished ground elevation?

Have you looked at the videos yet?

If I were doing it by profile I would eliminate the rim points from the file. better forget the file and use the profile layout tool: you can waste your morning using transparent commands to set the pvi station elvation or you could eyeball them in on the profile view then edit in the profile panarama. Then draft in the manholes

My preference would be to use a pipe network since that is what it is. It would take me way to long to explain that process - watch the video and you'll be off to the races

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report