Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles Not Synchronizing upon Open

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
cfarrow
5152 Views, 24 Replies

Profiles Not Synchronizing upon Open

I have found recently that surfaces that are sampled in profile views are not synchronized when the drawing is opened. This is incredibly frustrating when I'm just opening a file to plot a new copy. If I forget to resynchronize the drawing, the sampled profiles will not plot.

Is there a system variable I might try to toggle?

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
troma
in reply to: cfarrow

I've never had a problem with this.

Just to be clear, are you shortcutting a surface and sampling a profile from it in the current drawing, or are you sampling it elsewhere and shortcutting the profile in along with the alignment?

Are your alignments shortcut in, or local?

I've used both setups, no problem (AFAIK!!)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 25
Jeff_M

Do you, by chance, have Service Pack 2.1 installed?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 25
cfarrow
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

I've never had a problem with this.

Just to be clear, are you shortcutting a surface and sampling a profile from it in the current drawing, or are you sampling it elsewhere and shortcutting the profile in along with the alignment?

Are your alignments shortcut in, or local?

I've used both setups, no problem (AFAIK!!)

In the situation that I was having issues with, I was shortcutting a surface and sampling the surface in the file. Alignments were also shorcut.

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
Message 5 of 25
cfarrow
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

Yes, I do believe I have 2.1 installed.

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
Message 6 of 25
Jeff_M

@cfarrow wrote:

@Jeff_M wrote:

Yes, I do believe I have 2.1 installed.

I have had similar issues with SP2.1 installed. I opened a support case with Autodesk support which is still unresolved. I've just returned from a 3 week vacation so hope to get to the bottom of this soon. If you choose to also log a support case, please request that Seth Hall handle it and mention that this appears to be the same issue as CaseNo:07674324. In my next email exchange with him, I will mention this thread so he can see others are experiencing this.

EESignature
Message 7 of 25
jonebease

I'm having the same problems with surfaces and alignments.  Every time I open the drawing I have to synchronize the surfaces and alignments.....which is really annoying with 3 surfaces and over 20 alignments.

Message 8 of 25
Jeff_M
in reply to: jonebease

Please submit a support request through the Subscription Center or, if not on subscription, HERE. Request that Seth Hall be informed.

EESignature
Message 9 of 25
jonebease

I did that without any response and I'm still having the same issues with my drawings.

Alignments and surfaces are referenced in multiple drawings and work properly.  However I have one drawing where I must sync each and every alignment every time I open the drawing and relabel each alignment every time.

Now the one of the surfaces will not show up even after syncronizing.

Message 10 of 25
tspoon005

I have the same problem and reported the bug as instructed by Jeff.  Has anybody experienced some kind of resolution for this problem, or are we all still manually sync-ing?

Message 11 of 25
Jeff_M
in reply to: tspoon005

Still manually sync'ing here. And sending reminder emails to support.
EESignature
Message 12 of 25
MKearney028

So, this is still an issue, right? I think the easiest temporary fix would be to add the line

(command "synchronizereferences")

into the acaddoc.lsp file. I'm slightly hesitant because I'm sure it's going to slow down the opening of files, but does anyone else see any other problems with this? If not, I think it should work until Autodesk updates the software to resolve the issue.

Message 13 of 25
Jeff_M
in reply to: MKearney028

I tried that, for about 3 drawings worth of opening. Was more annoying than them not synch'ing. I was informed of a workaround that did work for most of my projects with minimal changes to my workflow. See this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Anyone-have-some-drafting-supplies/m-p/3875859#M20191... hopefully that will help you.

EESignature
Message 14 of 25
MKearney028

Thanks Jeff, but I think the issues on that thread are a little more in depth than what I am running into. My concern is mainly with Surfaces, Alignments and Profiles, and with that, mostly the naming of these items.

If I have an empty file and create an alignment, DRef that into a new dwg, and change the name of the original alignment, it will not update when I reopen the second file. (with all the necessary closes and saves)

We don't have large pipe networks, so the load isn't much longer, so I think I'm going to stick with the code in acaddoc.lsp for now.

Thanks though.

Message 15 of 25
tspoon005
in reply to: MKearney028

After looking at the thread posted by Jeff M, I have better diagnosed the problem, but unfortunately this just creates a new problem.

Diagnosis: I have three drawings in question, a water profile design drawing, a sswr profile design drawing, and a utility profiles "sheet" drawing.  The design drawings are xref'ed into the sheet drawing where they are displayed on our title block.  My problem was that the water profiles would not show up until I manually synched the drawing.  

Now, I learned that the manual sync not occurring is due to a bad xref.  Through trial and error, I determined that the sanitary sewer design drawing was the bad xref.  Whenever this xref is unloaded or detached from the destination drawing, the water profiles show up without me having to manually sync.

FYI this matters to me because I usually publish the whole sheet set at once.  The publish command opens the drawing and plots it (all in the background).  Thus, if manual sync-ing is required, then I get a sheet set without waterline profiles.

Solution/New Problem: Since the solution is to simply unload the SSWR xref, then I do that.  Now, I have to open the drawing (which automatically sync's my waterline profiles!) and then manually reload my SSWR design xref to get all the pieces in place to plot.

So, this might help some of you, but for me the real question is now, HOW DO I STOP THE "BAD" XREF FROM ALLOWING AUTOMATIC SYNC_ING?

So far I have tried auditing the source drawing, and detaching and reattaching, but to no avail.  Thoughts? 

Message 16 of 25
lauraford5837

I CURRENTLY HAVE TWO PROJECTS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM OF NOT SYNCING UPON OPENING, AND FOR MOST OF MY PROJECTS THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE,

SO  I AM MANUALLY SYNCING AS WELL, ANY SOLUTION YET???

WILL IT HELP FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE NOT OPENED A TICKET TO ADD ON TO POOR SETH HALL'S WORK LOAD. WILL THIS MAKE AUTODESK LOOK AT THIS AS A "REAL ISSUE"?

THANKS,

LAURA FORD

Message 17 of 25
Jay_B
in reply to: lauraford5837

Laura, Does this problem only occur in plan and profile sheets with Pipe Networks dref'd into dwg and the source Pipe Network dwg is also attached as xref and loaded in the plan and  pfl sheet? If so This previous thread may help.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 18 of 25
lauraford5837

Jay,

Thanks so much for the solution. I have seen This post before I had thought I did not fall into that criteria (I only had the surfaces drefed. However when I removed the xref of my surfaces the drawing worked out just fine.

Now the dilemma is we (we being a very large group) will typically have files that will have to see both, for example xrtopo, will typ have existing surface features (roadways, sidewalks, pond nwl, etc) all in 2d. and existing surface in 3d. in p&p I need the existing surface shortcuted in for the profiles and the linework from the surveyor in plan. there must be an easer way. This was not an issue in earlier versions...was it? I can not be the last one to still draw anything in standard 2d linework.

Thank you again!!!

Laura Ford

Message 19 of 25
Jay_B
in reply to: lauraford5837

What version and SP are you currently using?

I hadn't heard of any issues with surfaces and this behavior, it seemed to be limited to Pipe Networks around here.

I've had many dwg's where there was an xref containing EG surface source xref and EG surf was also dref'd into a plan sheet

and don't recall any issues.

So in your situation it sounds like you don't have Pipe Networks in the mix at all via xref or dref?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 20 of 25
lauraford5837

I do have pipe networks in the jobs in question. They just do not affect the sheet that has become today's problem child, the profiles being shown are made up of an alignment (made in the sheet file, And strictly for that sheet And that sheet only). And an existing grade (which was both dref, And xref) the sheet was made just for a county comment wanting to see a profile view of an existing pressure pipe  (drawn in 2d) and how we had planned to modify the pipe (also linework in 2d) so the only item (in this situation) that is both xref/dref is the existing surface...And when I remove the xref, I have no problem proceeding as normal, drefs work fine. The other project in question is more full blown and has xrefs and drefs all over the place. Another machine in my area, that is not having this issue and can open my dwgs just fine is using c3d 2012 sp2..I am using c3d 2012 sp2.1. Can anyone else confiirm the sp2 to sp2.1? This may help pinpoint the probelm.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report