Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles not saving all settings

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dcampbellhutchinson
2066 Views, 3 Replies

Profiles not saving all settings

Has anyone noticed that after the last update many profile settings like snap aperatures, OSNAPS, and data shortcut working files aren't being remembered?  It has only happened to a couple people, but they are having the exact same issues.

I wish it was simple as the shortcut being reset or pathed to the wrong profile, but it's not the case.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I am using 2012 and have also noticed periodic loss of settings. Under user preferences, I check "shortcut menus in drawing areas" and customize right click functions. This setting changes frequently back to default. I have a saved profile and settings under user preferences do not seem to be saved when creating said profile. Else this file is what is being corrupted.  In fact many things go back to default settings after a windows update. I am using Windows 7.

I also have a custom workspace enabled. Seems this covers another set of preferences. My situation seems a mystery to our AutoCAD representative. Are there simply too many places to change similar settings? Perhaps they conflict with each other if they are not set the same and AutoCAD does not possess the proper coding to recognize this fact.

Message 3 of 4

I had forgotten to post that I had found a solution (at least for our situation).

We tried fresh installs and nothing seemed to work, that's when I found out that the two guys that had issues were copying eachother's user profile and the source profile was beyond corrupt.  Everytime they "made a new profile" they were just saving copies of their old one or importing each other's profile even though they swore they were making new ones.  The moment the profile was loaded into CAD AT ALL the settings went out the window.

Bottom line is it was just a really nasty corrupt profile and it seems like it happens every other update. So what I recommend is you'll have to scrap your old profile completely and do a new one from a fresh copy of AutoCAD.  Make sure you delete all the support files for good measure that AutoCAD leaves behind from the uninstallation.

I don't know if the situation is the same, but it did the trick and I haven't heard a single complaint since I posted this.

And on another note I don't trust the profile migration tool that starts when you first open AutoCAD for fear of incompatability or risk of corruption for things like this.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 4

I will keep that in mind. We just upgraded to Windows 7 \ 64 bit and reinstalled AutoCAD and Inventor on a freshly formatted drive. I have not noticed any issues yet with unauthorized profile changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report