Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Views From a Lake/Junction Problems

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mruzzarin
859 Views, 8 Replies

Profile Views From a Lake/Junction Problems

Hello my friends, first of all I'm sorry for my english, I will try to write here my problem the best I can. I'm a treinee and I have to design a lake/retention basin and show it's profiles views, but the problem is that I can't join my 'spillway flood' with the lake in AutoCAD C3D, I'm trying to make feature lines of them and after grading all, or try it separately. The lake is shaped like a flower and has 2m deep and slope of 2.5/1, it's top elevation is 70,00m, where the spillway flood starts too, but it goes just 20cm down with the same slope of 2.5/1 (to 69.80m, and the lake goes to 68,00m). After do the junction between lake and spillway flood I have to export them to HEC-RAS to see what happens, but till there I have a big problem to solve... I'll attach here the projetcs I'm trying to do, and for any doubts about the project please ask me. I start to use AutoCAD C3D has been 15 days, so I don't have a solid base yet... Thank you very much, Marcelo.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
doni49
in reply to: mruzzarin

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean when you say you can't join the spillway to the lake.

Also in looking at your images, it looks like the spillway goes UP from the lake and then eventually go back down to the lake.  How does that work?  Shouldn't it go up for a short distance and then down for the water to "spill" out to the river?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 9
mruzzarin
in reply to: doni49

Don, I can't connect in C3D the lake and the spill, it don't goes up, it's only the perspective...as we can see at the image evacuateur_et_vidange, I can't do the same thing like this with C3D, I'm having trouble to join the lake and the spill and I don't know what command use to connect them correctly to do after the profile views and export to HEC-RAS... as you can see at the problem images, the surfaces of the lake and spill are not together, and the surface of the lake has been formed wrong at problem1 and problem2 , maybe because the lake and the spill were feature lines before do the grading.. I can send you the .dwg if you want to do a better look at the problem...

At this PROBLEM3 image, we can see that the spill are not a surface yet, and when I try to do a grading, the connection formed between the lake and spill don't have the correct form like I wish at the image evacuateur_et_vidange3... 

Thanks, Marcelo

Message 4 of 9
KirkNoonan

It looks like you have 2 separate grading surfaces for the 2 components. It sounds like you want to join the 2 into a single surface. That can be done by creating a new surface and then right-clicking on 'edits in the surface definition on your toolspace tab. There you will see an option to paste surfaces. If you paste both of your sufaces into the new one, you will have a single surface that can be exported.

Message 5 of 9
mruzzarin
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Do you mean I have to create a new surface and go to Toolspace>Surfaces>'newsurface'>right click and Edit Surface Style? I didn't find where I can add the two surfaces into only one. Thanks
Message 6 of 9
KirkNoonan

Almost - look at the attached screen shot

Message 7 of 9
doni49

@mruzzarin wrote:
Do you mean I have to create a new surface and go to Toolspace>Surfaces>'newsurface'>right click and Edit Surface Style? I didn't find where I can add the two surfaces into only one. Thanks

Create New Surface (I usually call it Proposed Composite or something along those lines).  Then paste your other two surfaces into it (see attached image).  Set your first two surfaces to a no-display style because you won't want to see them.  Set the new surface to the appropriate style so that it does show up.

EDIT:  You'll probably notice that Paste Surface is grayed out in the image.  That's because this is the only surface in my file right now -- if I had at least one other surface, I would be able to select Paste Surface.

C3DPasteSurface.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 9
mruzzarin
in reply to: doni49

Guys, i've tried to do this, it works, but the surfaces still the same thing, so my problem continues...maybe with a command for trim the TIN surfaces?

Message 9 of 9
KirkNoonan

Try to change the order of the pasted surfaces. You can do this in the bottom part of the definition tab of the surface properties window. Otherwise, add the feature lines that define the sipllway into your lake surface. Either one should get you where you want to go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report