Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
djocwf54
265 Views, 6 Replies

Profile Surface

Can you change to a different surface in an existing profile?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: djocwf54

@djocwf54 wrote:

Can you change to a different surface in an existing profile?

Can you please provide a few more details re: what your trying to accomplish?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
djocwf54
in reply to: Jay_B

I have a profile and decided to remake the surface and i want the existing
profile to use the second surface that I made

--
Darla Bowers
Engineering Division
City of Wichita Falls, Texas
office 940-761-7421
fax 940-761-6873
darla.bowers@wichitafallstx.gov
Message 4 of 7
owenmull

No, to my knowledge you cannot change the surface a profile is associated with.

Why not just create a new surface profile? 

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Or update the original surface rather than creating a new surface.

Data can be removed from the surface definition on the definitions tab in surface properties and new data can also be added.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 7
doni49
in reply to: owenmull

You could add the new surface to the profile view.  You could also delete the profile you've already got there which effetively accomplishes the request in a few steps.  But no, there's no way to directly change what surface it references.

I could imagine at least one scenario in which i might want to do this as opposed to "just editing the surface".

What happens if I have a surface that I used to create a profile.  Then some later work required that I paste the existing surrface into a new surface and then make edits in that new surface (such as needing to maintain the original in its unmodified form but then update per development that's happened since the original survey).

For the issue of creating a new profile:  if the current profile has a corridor tied to it, I'd prefer not to have to rebuild that connection if I could avoid it.

EDIT:  when I said "delete the profile" above, I was referring to removing the profile from the profile view.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Sure. sample the second surface and under profile view properties turn the dispaly off for surface 1. Of course if othe c3d objects depend on surface 1 you'ld be better off pasting surface 2 into surface 1 (clear all the check boxes in surface 1 definition)

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report