Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Structure Label Wipeout

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Rainman1
1363 Views, 16 Replies

Profile Structure Label Wipeout

Please see attachment. I would like to add a wipeout to this structure label so I don't see the profile view grid lines. I want the wipeout to be the exact width and height of the label. I have tried numerous edits but can't seem to get it. What is the easiest/best way to add this wipeout?? Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Rainman1

Use a background mask on the text itself, click the text, right click and it should give you the option to use background mask, just set it to the background color and that should do the trick.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry double click the text, then highlight it, then you can right click to get the text mask option. Sorry skipped a couple of steps in haste.

Message 4 of 17
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: Anonymous

If it is a structure label you need to edit the label style. There is a background mask option on both the layout and dragged state tabs of the Label Style Composer. Enable this and edit the border gap to get it to display the way you want. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 5 of 17
Rainman1
in reply to: Ed.McGriskin

Yes it is a structure label and I have tried to edit the structure label style. There is no "background mask option" on the layout tab, only on the dragged state tab. However, I change the background mask to "true" and change the "border and leader gap" value but the label displys the same??

Message 6 of 17
troma

Not here?

Layout-mask.PNG

Also, do you need to check the draw order?  Send the grid to the back.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 17
Ed.McGriskin

It is actually under the border settings. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 8 of 17
Jay_B

If the Structure label style contains multiple components, the appropriate component must be selected first (one containing text) on the layout tab for the label style. Then the mask option should be listed under "Border".

For 2012 it works as Ed mentioned.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 9 of 17
Rainman1
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes it does contain multiple components. It seems each string of text has its own mask. I want to have one mask that encompasses the whole label. Therefore, no need to have a mask for each text string, just one for the whole label. Maybe this can't be done???

Message 10 of 17
troma

Dragged state to 'Stacked Text', add the mask there, no problem.  (Providing you drag it.)

Or add the mask to the top component, and add enough return codes and a space on the bottom line so the text component is big enough to cover all the others.

Or combine all your components into one component; you can add a return code after one piece of text and then add the next.  One text component, one background mask.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Only other way would be cheesy, but a work around, draw a box around the text do a wipeout on the object, then bring the text to the front. 

Message 12 of 17
Rainman1
in reply to: troma

I actually created a wipeout, then converted it to a block and added it to the style. This did exactly what I was looking for.

Message 13 of 17
jbernal

Thanks, I was going crazy trying to get this to work!

Message 14 of 17
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: jbernal

turn on the background mask for the structure label style as suggested in previous posts, then draworder to bring all labels to front and above the profile view grid lines. does that not work?

Message 15 of 17
jbernal
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

No that didn't work for us. It would show correctly but when we have the Lines Merge option on and the Plot paperspace last, the wipeout was not showing. I have ACAD 2013 and Civil 3D 2013 as well as ACAD 2018...and none of my pdf plotters would not plot correctly. label01.png

We had the background mask on or set to True but no luck, so after reading the earlier post about adding the wipeout block to the label style. I gave that a shot and it worked. In the below pic I added the block, set the draw order, and all worked out. I'm hoping that this won't be an issue when we move to Civil 3D 2018, then I will remove the block from our label style.

label02.pnglabel03.png

Message 16 of 17
Hammer.john.j
in reply to: jbernal

we had this problem.... provided the same solution years ago, here's the catch:

it doesn't work with line/arc labels.  If you have a block with a wipeout in it and use them for contour labels, the line will blow right through the civil 3d line/arc label because the wipeout is contained within a civil 3d label, and I believe the specific problem is elevation.  to fix the problem, we explode all of our civil 3d contour labels when we are done, if we have to change contour lines, the labels have to be fixed in that area anyways so the c3d label annotation tool is just a convenience for placing them.

honestly, I have a lisp routine from 2006 that did the same thing this clumsy convoluted annotation civil 3d label does and I'm about to go back to it.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 17 of 17
cad-4RZNZE

I have multiple structure label styles. some for existing and proposed. the only way I have found to get what you are after I think is to use the mask for each string of your label. I don't see a "one mask fits all" solution.

All my label styles have each string masked for the same reason, works good for me. I only had to do it once and use them in all my drawings. I just reference my master drawing with all my styles.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report